X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lilbrosj66
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 4, 2011

Originally posted by thunderbolt
    ^^^ yeah, giant foreheaded square jawed Daisy Duke is a great sculpt.
    Oh yeah! I forgot about her. Not what we, or the character deserves.

Bottom line, they need a different sculptor. At least for female figures. Farrow can turn out an amazing sculpt for male figures but he is NOT the guy for these iconic female characters that we are finally getting. Once they are out, they are out. In all their distorted, square-jawed, flat-faced, angry glory. There are no do-overs on Starfire. Or Super Friends WW. Or Batgirl 77. Or any of them. I challenge anyone to take a good, honest look at the Starfire and Raven heads and tell me they do justice to those characters. Be honest.

Arguably, a better option would be to re-use, re-paint and re-root the "Mego" female heads. Look what Mego did with transforming WW into Isis! Far from perfect but you get the concept.

Another option? re-tool them. How hard would it be to make a cast of, say, the IG head, makes some subtle changes to the chin, mouth, nose, etc. and recast it. Boom. New sculpt with minor effort. AND it looks like a real female.

Whew! Thanks for getting me all worked up again, thunderbolt!
    Last edited by lilbrosj66; Jul 13, '16, 11:39 AM.

Comment

• Werewolf
      Inhuman
      • Jul 14, 2003

Thank you for all the advice everyone.

I agree that the new FTC female head sculpts are kind of off and a bit harsh. I'm probably going to go with the JSA WW with the boots from the Mattel WW. I like the look of the classic head sculpt with the updated painted tiara. I also think a body suit works better with the Mego style female body to cover up the joints.
      You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• rjm118
        Museum Super Collector
        • Apr 25, 2012

Originally posted by binkystarr
        The Farrow IS an amazing sculptor and artist however, he does NOT control what FTC wants and has to do things the way the company wants. His figures that are pre FTC are brilliant and breathtaking however, he has to do as the company demands or lose his job. I hope he gets more say so in the Wonder Woman line because he IS the right guy for the job. The issue that many have with FTC in the HORRIBLE bodies that are being used on the females. I cant believe FTC thinks those female bodies are in any way flattering to the head sculpts? Here's what I am talking about, look at that crazy body in comparison to the head size! Yikes
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]18988[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]18989[/ATTACH]
        Could be a good Caitlyn Jenner custom....

Comment

• jacoblb
          Persistent Member
          • May 7, 2009

I have read folks laying blame on the sculptor for strange things like head size. Obviously that's not fair and it's a production flaw done at the factory by someone who didn't reduce the head properly. While The Farrow's strong ability at craft can be subjective I would venture to state that many of the flaws one might see of his could be related to poor paint apps.

I once saw on the board how one member showed a plainly painted Mego scale custom head of Lou Ferrigno as the Hulk and until the head was in the hands of a master who could paint and use shadows and highlights it went from looking nothing like L.F. or the Hulk to a near Hot Toys effect in realism.

I know the board has many talented people from designers, tailors, painters, sculptors, etc. For those complaining about WW or other sculpts, I'm surprised to not have witnessed anyone step up and acetone off the paint and make improvements.

Comment

• jacoblb
            Persistent Member
            • May 7, 2009

Originally posted by binkystarr
            The Farrow IS an amazing sculptor and artist however, he does NOT control what FTC wants and has to do things the way the company wants. His figures that are pre FTC are brilliant and breathtaking however, he has to do as the company demands or lose his job. I hope he gets more say so in the Wonder Woman line because he IS the right guy for the job. The issue that many have with FTC in the HORRIBLE bodies that are being used on the females. I cant believe FTC thinks those female bodies are in any way flattering to the head sculpts? Here's what I am talking about, look at that crazy body in comparison to the head size! Yikes
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]18988[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]18989[/ATTACH]
            I totally agree. You nailed it.

Comment

• jacoblb
              Persistent Member
              • May 7, 2009

Put that Daisy figure in the hands of say, Noel Cruz, and it'll look like Catherine Bach easy.

Comment

• lilbrosj66
                Persistent Member
                • Jul 4, 2011

Originally posted by jacoblb
                I have read folks laying blame on the sculptor for strange things like head size. Obviously that's not fair and it's a production flaw done at the factory by someone who didn't reduce the head properly. While The Farrow's strong ability at craft can be subjective I would venture to state that many of the flaws one might see of his could be related to poor paint apps.

I once saw on the board how one member showed a plainly painted Mego scale custom head of Lou Ferrigno as the Hulk and until the head was in the hands of a master who could paint and use shadows and highlights it went from looking nothing like L.F. or the Hulk to a near Hot Toys effect in realism.

I know the board has many talented people from designers, tailors, painters, sculptors, etc. For those complaining about WW or other sculpts, I'm surprised to not have witnessed anyone step up and acetone off the paint and make improvements.
                I know this is not Super Friends WW or Batgirl 66 here is an example of what I did with a couple Dinah-Mite figures. There is a pretty decent sculpt hiding under those original paints!

P1030392.jpg

Dinah Mite repaint for Scott.jpg

I do understand that sometimes the paint can vastly distract from a decent sculpt. However, head "size" notwithstanding, I just think that when a company is putting out figures of iconic figures that most of us have waited years for, and when they are only putting them out one time, they need to pay extra attention to what is done with the head sculpt. That is THE most important part. What I, and a lot of others here are noticing are misshapen or uneven eyes, flat faces, crooked jaw lines, rough sculpts (my Batgirl 66 literally looks like there are chunks missing from her jaw line and one cheek and nothing was smoothed to a "finish"). Super Friends WW's face is lopsided at the jaw as well. I give credit where credit is due and Farrow can knock it out of the park on some of his sculpts. I have seen a lot of his work and it can be AMAZING! I just don't think the gals are getting done in a way that really honors the characters and that starts with the sculpt.
                Attached Files

Comment

• lilbrosj66
                  Persistent Member
                  • Jul 4, 2011

Originally posted by jacoblb
                  Put that Daisy figure in the hands of say, Noel Cruz, and it'll look like Catherine Bach easy.
                  Completely agree. He is the reigning MASTER of re-paints! Awesome work.

Comment

• TrekStar
                    Trek or Treat
                    • Jan 20, 2011

Originally posted by lilbrosj66
                    I know this is not Super Friends WW or Batgirl 66 here is an example of what I did with a couple Dinah-Mite figures. There is a pretty decent sculpt hiding under those original paints!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18994[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18996[/ATTACH]

I do understand that sometimes the paint can vastly distract from a decent sculpt. However, head "size" notwithstanding, I just think that when a company is putting out figures of iconic figures that most of us have waited years for, and when they are only putting them out one time, they need to pay extra attention to what is done with the head sculpt. That is THE most important part. What I, and a lot of others here are noticing are misshapen or uneven eyes, flat faces, crooked jaw lines, rough sculpts (my Batgirl 66 literally looks like there are chunks missing from her jaw line and one cheek and nothing was smoothed to a "finish"). Super Friends WW's face is lopsided at the jaw as well. I give credit where credit is due and Farrow can knock it out of the park on some of his sculpts. I have seen a lot of his work and it can be AMAZING! I just don't think the gals are getting done in a way that really honors the characters and that starts with the sculpt.
                    I really like how these came out, the Dinah-Mite especially, I have a custom in mind that it would be very nice for.
                    PM sent.
                    Last edited by TrekStar; Jul 14, '16, 2:07 PM.

Comment

• TrekStar
                      Trek or Treat
                      • Jan 20, 2011

Lilbrosj66 your mailbox is full, tried sending you a PM, thanks.

Comment

• lilbrosj66
                        Persistent Member
                        • Jul 4, 2011

Originally posted by tjacwave50
                        Lilbrosj66 your mailbox is full, tried sending you a PM, thanks.
                        Thanks for the heads up! Just cleaned it out.

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎