X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SKotK
    Career Member
    • Mar 11, 2014

Boycotting CBS/Paramount's Star Trek Beyond and ongoing productions

I've decided on my own to NOT go see the new film, Star Trek Beyond in the theater. To NOT give CBS/Paramount my money. And I'm urging others to do the same.

It's not about the content of the new film or the franchise reboot (although that's a sore point for many in itself). It's really just about CBS/Paramount asserting their power to defend their IP in a way that ultimately hurts the fans. They've thrown the baby out with the bathwater, and effectively killed off nearly all of the amazing fan productions that were in progress...particularly the ones that ran as a series.

I can't accept this, and I can't accept that there was no other way to resolve the issue. I can't support CBS/Paramount and their ongoing Star Trek productions unless and until they find a better solution.

--SKot
    Last edited by SKotK; Jul 6, '16, 4:37 PM.
    Look what happens when you aren't allowed to play with "dolls"...

WANTED: partly-unsealed or bubble-damaged carded Romulan + unbroken plant trap from Mission to Gamma VI
  • LonnieFisher
    Eloquent Member
    • Jan 19, 2008

Maybe I could pay for a different movie and after watching it, theater hop over to Star Trek and watch it for free! It's really crappy what they did about the fan productions.

Comment

• Mikey
      Verbose Member
      • Aug 9, 2001

I'm not looking up to Beyond because I didn't like Darkness.

Cumberbatch as Khan was the worst casting choice since Christenson as Anakin Skywalker
      Last edited by Mikey; Jul 5, '16, 8:15 PM.

Comment

• The Bat
        Batman Fanatic
        • Jul 14, 2002

CAIN'T WAIT to see it...I'll be there on OPENING Day!! Thanks god...STAR TREK LIVES!!
        sigpic

Comment

• SKotK
          Career Member
          • Mar 11, 2014

Originally posted by The Bat
          CAIN'T WAIT to see it...I'll be there on OPENING Day!! Thanks god...STAR TREK LIVES!!
          Your sincerity is overwhelming.

In fact, you've convinced me to abandon my whole plan. What was I thinking?

CBS AND PARAMOUNT TAKE MY MONEY, PLEASE!!

--SKot
          Look what happens when you aren't allowed to play with "dolls"...

WANTED: partly-unsealed or bubble-damaged carded Romulan + unbroken plant trap from Mission to Gamma VI

Comment

• The Bat
            Batman Fanatic
            • Jul 14, 2002

See, that's the thing...I AM being sincere...I love the NEW Star Trek...I'm so happy it came back...and not some Next Gen/Deep Space nine crap. But KIRK, Spock and McCoy!!
            sigpic

Comment

• enyawd72
              Maker of Monsters!
              • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by The Bat
              See, that's the thing...I AM being sincere...I love the NEW Star Trek...I'm so happy it came back...and not some Next Gen/Deep Space nine crap. But KIRK, Spock and McCoy!!
              The thing is, this is NOT Star Trek. It's Star Wars with the Trek brand slapped on it. All of the things that make Trek what it is...compelling storytelling, social commentary, exploration, the betterment of the human race...all of that has been thrown out and replaced with explosions and eye candy.

There are elements I do like...the new cast being one with the exception of Chris Pine. They should have hired the guy from Star Trek Continues. I swear that guy is channeling William Shatner. His mannerisms, body language...it's freaking uncanny.

Comment

• Mikey
                Verbose Member
                • Aug 9, 2001

^ Love the Continues Captain .... sometimes he actually makes me forget i'm watching a fan show.

also, honorable mention to the new Spock at Phase 2 ...

Comment

• Hector
                  el Hombre de Acero
                  • May 19, 2003

Sorry, bud, I'm with Bat...can't wait to see Beyond.

Loved the first Star Trek reboot. Darkness was a bit of a downer though, I must admit...but ready for the new one.

Also, I gotta pay homage to poor Alton Yelchin...he was a great young Chekov, earning the approval of Walter Koening (who he himself tragically lost a son).

While you might not consider it Star Trek, I do. It's an alternative reality/universe, that's the whole point of this new franchise.

Sorry, I'm not onboard with your sentiments...although I do respect your opinion.
                  sigpic

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                    Verbose Member
                    • Mar 7, 2004

I hate to say it...but I can see Paramount's side in the cease and desist on the fan productions. They honestly let them go too far, for too long, and that's where the sting lies. If they don't defend their property, then at some point down the line, their ownership can be challenged. That will not only affect CBS and Paramount (I know, they're faceless corporations, who cares?), but also every actor/writer/producer/crew member who works on, or potentially ever worked on Star Trek. If they get some kind of residuals (and I know at least Shatner and Nimoy's estate do), then if Trek's ownership is overturned, they are all going to be out of money.

When the fan productions are being legitimately talked about as true continuations of the original series....that's getting to close to that all-mighty IP.

It's a shame for the folks who put so much work into their productions...but they had to know this was going to happen, sooner or later.

Chris
                    sigpic

Comment

• MIB41
                      Eloquent Member
                      • Sep 25, 2005

I can see it both ways but this is something Paramount should have thought through before they committed to a platform they in effect helped grow. Licensing tolerance is something that is utilized throughout the industry and is in many ways a useful tool to help sustain and grow the base, even during lean years. We can see examples of this within our own hobby. It's been a while but there was a time when Dr. Mego was at odds with offering reproduction pieces based on licensed characters and was served a ceased and desist letter. They eventually made peace and allowed him to move forward by calling them something other than the brand name, but the design and intent was still the same. Customizers sell figures from licensed properties at auction all the time and do I need to even go there with our proud and beautiful package heritage? Are these companies really getting burned by allowing this to happen? I don't think so. It helps sustain the base and even grow new business for them. Why not? KISS allows cover bands to wear their makeup designs and outfits for a profit. So there are plenty of examples across the board where one could point to something and say, "They are 'stealing' the copyright owner's thunder." But another perspective is those owners are getting free advertising for that license which can grow it for years to come. Sure, there is a time and place to put your foot down. I just don't see a nonprofit effort being a true threat to a giant property like Star Trek. I think pulling the plug did more to hurt their license than help it.

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                        Invincible Ironing Man
                        • Feb 28, 2008

I thought the first movie was ok, and the second one mediocre at best.
                        They've totally missed what ST is all about, going for a SW vibe instead, so as far as I'm concerned, these movies are hardly ST at all. I'm not even following any news on the recent movie, that's how interested I am.
                        At this time, Paramount has abandoned any "creative" notion on ST, and is solely going for money. They want teenagers in seats, people who can't tell Kirk from Spock, and couldn't care less about it, as long as the screen is filled with CG for about two hours. That's the target audience. If they happen to also attract the smaller group of real fans, that's a bonus.
                        "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• palitoy
                          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                          • Jun 16, 2001

I understand why Paramount had to do what they did and will be seeing this film with my entire family.

Also, I consider myself a real fan of classic Star Trek.
                          Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                          http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• rykerw1701
                            Persistent Member
                            • Aug 27, 2007

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                            I hate to say it...but I can see Paramount's side in the cease and desist on the fan productions. They honestly let them go too far, for too long, and that's where the sting lies. If they don't defend their property, then at some point down the line, their ownership can be challenged. That will not only affect CBS and Paramount (I know, they're faceless corporations, who cares?), but also every actor/writer/producer/crew member who works on, or potentially ever worked on Star Trek. If they get some kind of residuals (and I know at least Shatner and Nimoy's estate do), then if Trek's ownership is overturned, they are all going to be out of money.

When the fan productions are being legitimately talked about as true continuations of the original series....that's getting to close to that all-mighty IP.

It's a shame for the folks who put so much work into their productions...but they had to know this was going to happen, sooner or later.

Chris
                            I completely agree with this, and I've made fan productions, although they were animated parody. Paramount turned a blind eye to these efforts until the various producers started using professionals and making revenue through crowd funding. Star Trek isn't in the Bill of Rights to use at one's discretion, it's a copyrighted property. At least Paramount has made some concessions to fan films with its recent guidelines, though admittedly some of their points are a bit bizarre.

I can't wait for the new movie myself, even though the last one was a disappointment to me. I say choose to see the movie because you like what's produced, not because you're made the owners of the property are acting to protect their property, and giving fan productions some leg room in the process.

Comment

• hedrap
                              Permanent Member
                              • Feb 10, 2009

Mistake made by Par was to simply not set up a criteria and for those that qualify, can pay for an "officially sanctioned" Trek license.

But like Star Wars, this isn't done because of ip legal fears. Studios know writers/producers will borrow ideas, incorporate them into scripts and plow into production. Then lawsuits begin and the fan productions will win those cases because they are openly transmitted final products.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎