X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

DC Superhero Girls reviews

Rebirth has me feeling a bit more optimistic about the DC Universe and this is the first DC related toy I've purchased since the start of loathsome New 52.

Target's timed exclusivity over these dolls have run out and they are just starting to show up at TRU and Walmart.

The first thing I noticed is Wonder Woman is really tall. She is almost a head taller than standard Monster High dolls and even taller than the tallest MH dolls, like Nefera. The body is also much more muscular than MH. The DCSHG body also has an addition torso joint, like the 17 inch MH Frightfully Tall dolls, allowing a torso swivel. Unlike Monster High and Ever After High, the hands are molded in a gripping style allowing the dolls to actually hold their accessories. Kind of like GI JOE Kung FU Grip hands. WW is a very solid and sturdy feeling doll.

She has black hair with streaks of cobalt blue, very pretty. The clothes are nice quality and don't really look or feel budget. The accessories are well sculpted and the belt has a little loop to store her included plastic magic lasso. I honestly would have preferred the lasso to have been made out of some type of string. Her belt is a little fiddly trying to get it exactly in place and moves around a bit. Her boots are removable and do have some nice paint detailing.

Overall, I am really impressed.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

Height comparison.

I forgot to mention, she can stand unassisted. Which is nice because they don't come with stands.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• TomStrong
      Persistent Member
      • Jul 22, 2011

My Little girl is 11 and has amassed the Entire Lineup! She loves them so much. She even wanted a Joker to go with her Harley Quinn. So I found her a 12" Joker with a purple velvet suit from the Batman adventures on Ebay and man has she gotten in some playtime. I think figures like these are overdue for girls.

Comment

• MIB41
        Eloquent Member
        • Sep 25, 2005

Great review! Yeah, I have seen those in stores and I'm so happy that toy makers are finally making inroads for the female heroes. Nice to see lines devoted just to these characters. Glad to see the quality is there as well.

Comment

• wilbs518
          Mego Collector
          • Jul 25, 2009

My 7 and 3 years olds have all of them and love them. I think they are great! The wal mart 12" $10 figures are pretty crappy. No articulation really.5 pts. Scaled down costumes. The SDCC Katana is awesome.
          sigpic

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
            Moderation Engineer
            • Aug 14, 2003

I really want to see these in person now.

Comment

• Werewolf
              Inhuman
              • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by wilbs518
              The wal mart 12" $10 figures are pretty crappy. No articulation really.5 pts. Scaled down costumes.
              I just saw those today. They are not nearly as good as the regular dolls but are not terrible for the price.

And thanks everyone for checking out my review.

Comment

• jacoblb
                Persistent Member
                • May 7, 2009

Nice review. I'm still looking for a Harley Quinn in the stores, glad to know Targets timed exclusive is over. I could buy online easy at Target though. This last figure I'm trying to get will be a tad tough since Suicide Squad will be out soon and collectors are snatching up everything HQ on the shelves.

Aren't Mattel planning to do costume variations on these girls? I'm glad the originals are close, especially with Supergirl. I'm avoiding the smaller scale figures from this series.

Comment

• Werewolf
                  Inhuman
                  • Jul 14, 2003

Harley

Another nice solid feeling doll with tight joints. She can hold her mallet and still stand unassisted. Which is really nice. It doesn't feel like she is going to tip over. I think her clothes are a step down in comparison to WW. The buttons on her top are printed on and her tights are just her legs molded in color. Her socks are also molded into her shoes. Considering they cheated on her tights they really could have given her real socks. On the upside her top and shorts are separate pieces. At least they didn't cheat there. Her rubber belt, shoes and mask are removable. Her mask is staked in with little plastic tabs. Which you might want to leave in to keep the mask from falling off.
                  Last edited by Werewolf; Jul 7, '16, 2:39 PM.

Comment

• jacoblb
                    Persistent Member
                    • May 7, 2009

Gotta agree about the tights. I'm considering adding cloth when I get the figure.

Comment

• Werewolf
                      Inhuman
                      • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by jacoblb
                      Gotta agree about the tights. I'm considering adding cloth when I get the figure.
                      It would have to be very thin fabric because her shoes and shorts fit very snuggly.

Batgirl

Very nice. Probably my favorite so far. She really looks great.

Beautiful bright red hair. Like Harley, her mask is a separate piece and not molded to her head. She is wearing a two tone Purple hoody with yellow accents and a circuit board pattern down the front. The bat insignia is shiny gold. Her hood does have a hole in the back for her hair to fit through. The top and tights are separate. Lots of nicely sculpted details on her belt. It's a lot like the silver age Batgirl belt but with two added pouches on the front. Very nice. Her bat gauntlets are equally detailed. Instead of a cape she has a backpack with a bat emblem making the wings.

Only issue I have is it would have been nice had they sewn plastic in the bat ears of her hood to make them stand up. They tend to flop over when you move the hood.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                        Muddling through
                        • Oct 4, 2008

wow, they all look really great. I wish they had come out a few years ago as my little one would have been all over them. she has passed the age of MH and also the fairy tale line so no chance on these

Comment

• jacoblb
                          Persistent Member
                          • May 7, 2009

I'd maybe consider fitting Harley with her original costume and do away with the checkered blouse and shorts. Or maybe do a body swap with a Monster High figure so she'd be fitted as a roller derby player. I don't think I could bring myself to create a Suicide Squad movie look to this type of figure. It'd look bizarre or inappropriate.

I like the Batgirl figure too, I intend to add a cloth cape, I'm puzzled Mattel skipped on that part. Also might swap a cloth cape for Supergirl.
                          As for Bumblebee, she's been a major peg warmer since the beginning at any Target store I'd walk into. I'll pick her up when she's on clearance.

20160708_104130.jpg

Comment

• Werewolf
                            Inhuman
                            • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by jacoblb
                            Or maybe do a body swap with a Monster High figure so she'd be fitted as a roller derby player.
                            The necks are different size. I don't think the DC head will even fit a MH body. Plus the head would look really big on the smaller MH bodies.

I agree on Supergirl. I don't care for the rubber cape. Other than that she looks great. I think SG and Ivy have the most traditional looking outfits.
                            Last edited by Werewolf; Jul 8, '16, 10:38 PM.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                              Master of Fowl Play
                              • Jun 5, 2008

Aww, I like Bumblebee--it's an attractive doll IMO.
                              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎