X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ovenmitt
    Persistent Member
    • May 26, 2009

What's the future of Retro Marvel sets?

Diamond replied to a question of mine on Facebook about the future of the Retro Marvel sets and said that there may be only 1 more set after Daredevil in 2016. That's only 3 sets this year. FTC has at least 3 more Super Friends/Legion of Doom waves planned for 2016 and even Wendy and Marvin. There's also Mezco One:12 Marvel figures.I'd hate to see Retro Marvel sets die from lack of support. Is the line ending or format being changed? Will SDCC tell us any news?
  • LonnieFisher
    Eloquent Member
    • Jan 19, 2008

I hope the future of the series is bright and prosperous. I'd like to see the Spidey 2099 set come out before Punisher.

Comment

• Timothy2251
      Jerks beef with Ten Bears
      • Mar 15, 2008

Hope it continues - I have every set so far and am already locked in for Daredevil. SO many characters left to make!
      "It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues. There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men. The words of Ten Bears carries the same iron of life and death. It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life."

Comment

• Brown Bear
        Still Old School
        • Feb 14, 2008

I finally got the Wolverine and Captain America sets at Mego Meet at liked them a lot. Hope to see Iron Man and a few others I've been hoping for.
        Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• enyawd72
          Maker of Monsters!
          • Oct 1, 2009

The license restrictions doomed this line from the start. FTC has made 30 times as many figures because they actually listen to the consumer and give them what they want.

Marvel thinks they are the boss...they're not. WE are. Lines will thrive or die based on consumer demand.

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
            Often invisible
            • Jul 18, 2002

You mean Hasbro, not Marvel.
            Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• PNGwynne
              Master of Fowl Play
              • Jun 5, 2008

I question some of the figure offerings, particularly the proposed second Spidey set. Before Iron Man or a villain--that's foolish IMO. And, the license limitation has hurt since day one.
              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• jayraytee
                Career Member
                • May 27, 2011

Yeah with the licensing restriction, basically we have gotten Spiderman, Thor, Captain America, Wolverine, Daredevil, Deadpool and maybe Punisher. Six to seven characters since the line started (deluxe figures with extra suits and heads, I know). The offerings are so slow that the character choices really need to be the big names without repeats. We're likely to see the license end before we see some really major characters done.
                My posts were needlessly deleted ...

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                  Eloquent Member
                  • Jan 19, 2008

Originally posted by jayraytee
                  Yeah with the licensing restriction, basically we have gotten Spiderman, Thor, Captain America, Wolverine, Daredevil, Deadpool and maybe Punisher. Six to seven characters since the line started (deluxe figures with extra suits and heads, I know). The offerings are so slow that the character choices really need to be the big names without repeats. We're likely to see the license end before we see some really major characters done.
                  Who are bigger names at Marvel than Spider-man, Thor, Captain America, Wolverine, and Deadpool?

Comment

• ovenmitt
                    Persistent Member
                    • May 26, 2009

Where's Iron Man? He's been in 6 Marvel movies since 2008. Hulk has been in 4 movies and will be in 3rd Thor movie . Those 2 should be next hero sets after Punisher and before a 2nd Spidey set. Fantastic 4 and Dr Doom may be off limits but I want them. Green Goblin would be good 1st villain set and Spider-Woman 1st female since there's been 3 versions of her. I hope SDCC tells us something. An announcement about change in format/ license restrictions would be nice.

Comment

• enyawd72
                      Maker of Monsters!
                      • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by CrimsonGhost
                      You mean Hasbro, not Marvel.
                      No I mean Marvel. Hasbro doesn't own the characters or license them.

Comment

• MIB41
                        Eloquent Member
                        • Sep 25, 2005

I think the Mego market is such a small niche of consumers, it's going to be very hard to sustain any line for an extended amount of time. In the past few years the market has been flooded with newly licensed figures from just about every imaginable corner of pop culture. The result is a glut of discounted product that is impacting even the value of recently released figure lines. I've seen STEEP discounts on fairly recent releases to the point where I question my own sensibilities in buying anything at shelf price anymore. And it's not like we're talking 10 or 15% discounts. We're looking at 30 to near 50% discounts on figures not even a year old (some times not even 6 months old). That's crazy. To me, that's a strong indicator that shelf pricing is out of lockstep with demand. So the deluxe sets with more of a "Cadillac" pricing structure are going to feel the burden of competing even more.

And like a few have pointed out, when you have other competing figure scales offering enhanced quality for similar or additional money, that bites into these lines as well. Add in the human factor where the people behind these are trying to make good product only to be undone by factory miscues and I'm sure that factors into the desire to make more at the creative level. By now, we've all come to understand no matter what you send to factories, there's a degree of finger crossing that plays into the final product when you're a company with a schedule to meet and no luxury of time to keep sending samples back until they get it right. I've lost count of how many companies have felt the sting (and backlash) when the factory delivered a product less than what was envisioned. And I think that becomes more glaring with these deluxe sets because there are so many more production factors that play into making these figures and accessories, plus getting it packaged right.

The possibilities of what could be done in this series are unlimited, but we don't have a big enough market to sustain it. I think that is just the sad truth to what is happening here. For those who really enjoy this run, I would just enjoy the ride for as long as it lasts.

Comment

• wise guy
                          Career Member
                          • Dec 29, 2014

I hope the line continues, but it's hard for me to wan't to collect these at such a slow pace of 6-7 figures in 2 or more years . Each time they release one I keep
                          thinking that this could be the last figure( and if they could do only one more) I would rather have Ironman than a second Spiderman.

Comment

• jayraytee
                            Career Member
                            • May 27, 2011

Originally posted by enyawd72
                            No I mean Marvel. Hasbro doesn't own the characters or license them.
                            But Hasbro is the reason for the 1 figure $80 restriction here.
                            My posts were needlessly deleted ...

Comment

• palitoy
                              live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                              • Jun 16, 2001

You should all storm the disney castle like braveheart.
                              Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                              http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎