• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • samurainoir
    Eloquent Member
    • Dec 26, 2006

Jack Kirby documentary

My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!
  • Brazoo
    Permanent Member
    • Feb 14, 2009

Oh cool!

Comment

• Brazoo
      Permanent Member
      • Feb 14, 2009

So far I'm with Walt Simonson - when I was a kid I loved Kirby's art right away. (Also, Simonson's no slouch!)

Comment

• Bruce Banner
        HULK SMASH!
        • Apr 3, 2010

All hail the King.
        PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• palitoy
          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
          • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Brazoo
          So far I'm with Walt Simonson - when I was a kid I loved Kirby's art right away. (Also, Simonson's no slouch!)
          Me too, I got this before I could read. It set the standard for me.

He may have been the first comic artist I instantly recognized as a kid. Neal Adams would have been an early second because....Batman...
          Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
          http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• PNGwynne
            Master of Fowl Play
            • Jun 5, 2008

I have Evanier's pictorial biography od Kirby and love it--I've really grown to admire Kirby's stylistic touches and especially the dynamism of his story-telling.

But as a DC kid, and without access to many comics, I was much more into the Adams-Aparo-Novick style, and later, Perez & Newton. It wasn't until I was an adult and had a bit more exposure to Kirby that I appreciated him. My favorite: Kamandi--pure escapism and the sort of thoughtful pastiche that has always grabbed my attention in fiction.
            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• samurainoir
              Eloquent Member
              • Dec 26, 2006

Kirby was odd for me.. I LOVED all the early Marvel Kirby reprints like The Uncanny X-Men in Amazing Adventures, and the Fireside books of The Fantastic Four, Hulk, Avengers etc. Not realizing Kirby drew all of that stuff.

I was alternately fascinated and repulsed by his run on Captain America in the 70's... which were some of the earliest comics I read. They genuinely scared me at a young age.

However, by the time I realized who Kirby was, I wasn't really that into his work on Super Powers nor his creator owned stuff for Pacific like Captain Victory and Silver Star.

That would change once I discovered back issues of his weird DC stuff like Demon, The Sandman and Mr Miracle, as well as that 70's run of Captain America. I also have a fondness for Devil Dinosaur and his Black Panther run of the 70's.
              Last edited by samurainoir; Jun 26, '16, 1:44 PM.

Comment

• hedrap
                Permanent Member
                • Feb 10, 2009

I was on the exact same trajectory, Sam. 2001, Eternals, Kamandi...no appeal until about ten years ago. The Super Powers mini was so anachronistic for the 80's I couldn't get passed how his work, the market standards, SF: Galactic Guardians and the toys didn't seem to gel. His SP Darkseid looked absurd.

Comment

• samurainoir
                  Eloquent Member
                  • Dec 26, 2006

How does this cover not terrify and fascinate a four year old? Kirby's stuff is so beautifully grotesque at times.

Comment

• madmarva
                    Talkative Member
                    • Jul 7, 2007

I could look at his 70s splash pages all day. He has so much going on. He often liked to start the action in the upper right corner and if you follow the art diagonally to the lower left quadrant over to the lower right quadrant it seems that time is passing. It's a static image but there's progression without panels. Just genius.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                      Verbose Member
                      • Mar 7, 2004

Going to have to watch this when I get home. I liked 60s Kirby right away, but it took a few years to begin to appreciate 70s Kirby onward. But when I did, I was in for life.

Chris
                      sigpic

Comment

• palitoy
                        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                        • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                        Going to have to watch this when I get home. I liked 60s Kirby right away, but it took a few years to begin to appreciate 70s Kirby onward. But when I did, I was in for life.

Chris
                        Heh, you just reminded me of my indoctrination into 70s Kirby comics. When I was ten or eleven, a local comic shop (The Silver Snail) had a booth at the CNE. I must have went to it 20 times that summer and bought every #1 comic they had (because they were going to sky rocket in value!) that meant Devil Dinosaur, Eternals and 2001 among others. I remember thinking that Marvel was totally rushing their best artist or something. It didn't have the same polish the FF books did.
                        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• phil
                          Persistent Member
                          • May 11, 2007

There's a good reason Stan Lee nicknamed him The King. His talent.

Comment

• MIB41
                            Eloquent Member
                            • Sep 25, 2005

To this day I still say if someone CGI's the Kirby Thing, they've got a smash hit on their hands.

Comment

• YoungOnce
                              Career Member
                              • Aug 29, 2007

Originally posted by MIB41
                              To this day I still say if someone CGI's the Kirby Thing, they've got a smash hit on their hands.
                              Oh yeah... Bulls-eye.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎