Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CBS and Paramount just killed Trek fan films...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • enyawd72
    Maker of Monsters!
    • Oct 1, 2009

CBS and Paramount just killed Trek fan films...

No more Star Trek continues, which is a damn shame because it is incredibly well done. Honestly I think they were a little embarrassed that a fan production is better than their crappy movies.

In essence, Star Trek: TOS has been replaced by Star Trek: POS
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

I like Star Trek continues

I'd be happy if they just changed a few things to avoid lawsuits --- names, insignia's and music.

The show is good enough to still stand without the above.

Everybody knows it's Star Trek anyway

Comment

• SKotK
      Career Member
      • Mar 11, 2014

Good job, CBS/Paramount. You just went from bad (when you were suing Axanar) to good (when you rescinded the lawsuit) to far, far worse (when you made your new rules that basically kill every other fan production).

Talk about killing the golden goose. Yes, I know you have the right, but that doesn't mean you have to exercise it just to prove a point. Is it really going to be worth it?

I would really love to see a concentrated fan effort to fully boycott Star Trek Beyond when it comes out. Just don't go see it at all. It's never really been done before by a fanbase, has it? Maybe it's about time it was.

Some 50th anniversary this is turning out to be.

--SKot
      Look what happens when you aren't allowed to play with "dolls"...

WANTED: partly-unsealed or bubble-damaged carded Romulan + unbroken plant trap from Mission to Gamma VI

Comment

• TrekStar
        Trek or Treat
        • Jan 20, 2011

This is getting depressing, I was contemplating a great 50th anniversary of Trek for the last 2 years,
        and so far where halfway thru 2016 and nothing but negative results, a poor anticipated upcoming movie,
        50th anniversary stamps not being sold in the United States (home of Hollywood by the way) the untimely
        death of Anton (Mr. Chekov) and still waiting on the re-release EMCE figures.

Looks like this weekends Independence Day Resurgence theater release sounds more exciting. Gee Wiz

Comment

• Bionicfanboy66
          Career Member
          • Jul 30, 2012

Hate to say this, but Alec Peters and the Axanar crew are to blame. When a film raises over a million dollars to cover production costs, brings on professional actors, and veteran FX artists, then hires a top dollar law firm, this is no longer a fan film as we know it. It's an illegally produced indie film based on someone else's copyrighted material. Peters was even at SDCC promoting it. I don't recall other fan film producers making the convention rounds promoting their stuff.

Comment

• YoungOnce
            Career Member
            • Aug 29, 2007

I'm remembering when Disney forced those day care centers to cease and desist with painting Disney characters on their walls. Something about the fact that they have to legally protect the trademark or they risk losing future cases (which may be more egregious). Once you allow the precedent, it becomes harder to defend an infringement. Too, it becomes unfair to those folks who license IP legally. Just playing devils advocate...

Comment

• monitor_ep
              Talkative Member
              • May 11, 2013

Axanar when too far when they started to take money for somebody else work. I remember not to long back that DC put a stop on fan films being shown at SDCC. At that time SDCC was pushing fan films and I know for a fact that over half there showings were going to be DC fan films. The problem ways some of those fan films were better than Batman Begins and were getting talked about more, so DC told SDCC they could not show them.
              Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• The Bat
                Batman Fanatic
                • Jul 14, 2002

Never cared for Star Trek continues....so no great loss for me. The NEW movie Cast are so much better it isn't even close for me.
                sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                  el Hombre de Acero
                  • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by Bionicfanboy66
                  Hate to say this, but Alec Peters and the Axanar crew are to blame. When a film raises over a million dollars to cover production costs, brings on professional actors, and veteran FX artists, then hires a top dollar law firm, this is no longer a fan film as we know it. It's an illegally produced indie film based on someone else's copyrighted material. Peters was even at SDCC promoting it. I don't recall other fan film producers making the convention rounds promoting their stuff.
                  Yup...
                  sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                    el Hombre de Acero
                    • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by The Bat
                    Never cared for Star Trek continues....so no great loss for me. The NEW movie Cast are so much better it isn't even close for me.
                    Ditto...
                    sigpic

Comment

• enyawd72
                      Maker of Monsters!
                      • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by Hector
                      Ditto...
                      ^Say WHAAAAT?

I respectfully think you are both CRAZY. LOL

No...seriously though. My problem with the new Trek movies isn't the cast, it that they're not Star Trek. They're trying to be Star Wars lite, and that's not what Trek is about. I would much prefer a slower paced, cerebral, character driven story about exploration instead of blowing up the Enterprise...AGAIN. And the extreme dirtbike riding? UGH.

Comment

• MIB41
                        Eloquent Member
                        • Sep 25, 2005

I read the new guidelines that Paramount put out and another tragedy in this is 'Star Trek:New Voyages'. THAT was a tremendous show and the cast had made their second appearance at Wonderfest this year. An incredibly talented bunch. I got to know Brandon Stacy real well over the last couple of years (who plays Spock) and all I can say is keep your eyes out for this guy. He's going to be hitting the big time soon. He auditioned for a key role in the next Guardians of the Galaxy film and his agent has him looking at a number of other potential Marvel properties. He's the real deal and his star is coming.

Comment

• Mikey
                          Verbose Member
                          • Aug 9, 2001

My biggest prob with the new movies is it seems they took all the criticism from the Motion Picture and then did a total 180.

Instead of talking heads we get endless action as if we were watching somebody play a video game.

I especially hate the new trend of having people jump off buildings etc and not get hurt.
                          It's like everybody is Mario Brothers

One time i'd like to see Spock jump from really high, hurt his ankle and do a Family Guy --- tssss-ahhh, tssss-ahhh, tssss-ahhh, tssss-ahhh, tssss-ahhh
                          Last edited by Mikey; Jun 24, '16, 8:00 AM.

Comment

• rykerw1701
                            Persistent Member
                            • Aug 27, 2007

Originally posted by Bionicfanboy66

I have to agree with this. Alec Peters went too far. I'm generally in favor of fan films, they keep people involved in the property and enthusiasm for the universe high, but when they start doing them to make money using professionals, then it's an issue. And I say this as someone who made fan films a few years back using Mego's. While you have a lot of latitude with parody, which these are, I still borrowed the music, which is a no-no. But I never asked for or received a dime, and I'd love for someone to claim I used professionals. Here's the link, btw.

Episode: "For the World is Hollow and I Have Touched Your Thigh" -- The long-awaited sequel finally arrives. Warning: Contains adult humor of the most juveni...

Comment

• MIB41
                              Eloquent Member
                              • Sep 25, 2005

^^^ If they were making money then they did indeed blow it for everyone. The New Voyages were strictly nonprofit and produced directly through donations of fans. Sad to see someone jump into that fragile but workable agreement with Paramount and blow it for the lot.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎