Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: And there's one in every crowd...

Images
    Sorry Jorge. My first meet was the first one in WV many moons ago. It was not a super social event for me (which is weird because I am an extrovert). In the following year I spent a lot of time on the mega museum. At my second meet I got a table. My second meet (and my 3rd through 12th were all great).

It is hard feeling like an outsider. Glad you came though, hope you are able to make it next year and have a better time.

-Brue

Images
    Blog Entries
    I'm sorry to hear this, and since you are local, would encourage to to come back again next year.

I truly can see why it would feel intimidating for a newcomer arriving on the scene on Saturday. It's a flurry of activity and many folks do seem immersed in their own activities. The best I can say is, don't be shy, particularly if you want to learn about making customs... buy parts and ask questions of the folks you are purchasing from about the best ways to use those parts in creating your custom.

If there are customs you admire, the best way to break the ice is to compliment the custom and ask them about how it was made. We are all more than happy to talk process all day long! This is how I learned at my first Mego Meet, and I'm still learning so much to this day.

I can also understand the frustrations since many of us don't stick by our table and tend to wander. I do my best to help cover tables around me or to find/direct folks to the person who's table it is, but it's not always easy, especially around Lunch Time if we've all left to go to Portillo's en-masse.

PLEASE come to the social gatherings next time. Aw Yeah comics was the perfect smaller gathering to meet folks and chat with them over pizza. We were all in one room in a much smaller space and not as many people are around on Thursday so it might be less intimidating for you.

As mentioned... Friday is also a better day to socialize since everyone is in a much more casual mode without the "official" events going on around you.

and finally MEGO SUITE. Go. Mingle. Chat. BYOB. Eat Snacks. Ask Questions. Introduce yourself, shake hands. Bring the customs parts you bought and start putting them together in front of everyone... you will instantly have half a dozen guys offer their opinions (happens to me every single year). We share paints. We Share Tools. We Share Tips and Tricks. Just how we roll.

All are Welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Galvan View Post
    I did see Austin, he said HI, good to see him again!
    Why, oh why, can't all yous be as nice as me? LOL

Jorge, it was nice seeing you again. But, you only get out of Mego Meet what you put in. You need to be a little more bold next time and introduce yourself to more people. Walk up to every vendor and shake their hand and let them know who you are and what your interests are. Walk into the Mego Suite and announce to the room, "Hey, I'm Jorge Galavan and I love Megos!" Don't just dip your toe in the water. Jump in! Heck, do a cannonball while you're at it!

A wise man once told me, "the love you take is equal to the love you make." Next Mego Meet spread the love. I guarantee it will come back to you in spades.

See you next year!

Peace, Love, and Megos!

Austin
    Check out ALL my customs at https://www.facebook.com/megowgshcustoms

Images
    jorge i hope we talked but honestly it goes by fast so i dont recall. the meet is all about megos and friends . fgriends first megos second. pleazse if you come again introduce yourself to me . i have the keychains on my table. my name is Mike

I understand a bit, I've been to four Meets over the years, and started posting on this forum in 2005, and yet I still feel a little out of place and shy when I attend. I don't post too frequently these days and worry that I'm too much of an outsider to just interject myself into conversations and festivities. This year though I felt probably the most at ease than ever before, and quite a few of the folks here helped make me (and my wife) feel welcome which was really nice. The forum is also a useful tool to let people know ahead of time what kinds of things you're specifically going to be looking for at the show. I'm pretty sure I saw a couple of threads asking people to list any potential items they were hoping to find, which doesn't mean for sure it'll be there, but a head's up never hurts

any chance of Mego Meet coming to the northeast......? or a more traveled path like las vegas or Orlando?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dcohendmd View Post
    any chance of Mego Meet coming to the northeast......? or a more traveled path like las vegas or Orlando?
    I'd say the current location is well traveled, but if you are looking for something in the northeast, check out his thread. I went last year and outside of MM, it had the best vintage toy selection, I've seen at any show.

http://megomuseum.com/community/show...-the-2017-EXPO

Images
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dcohendmd View Post
    or a more traveled path like las vegas or Orlando?
    Skokie is a suburb of Chicago, and O'Hare is a major hub which has allowed folks from as far away as Puerto Rico and Halifax in Eastern Canada to attend Mego Meet for the first time in the past two years.

I would hazard a guess and say that Orlando and Las Vegas are unlikely at this point in time.

Blue Meenie: Hi, I thought about going to the Pre-meet on Thursday, and then I thought about being the ODD MAN out, walking into a situation, where I don’t know anyone and everyone there is already well aquainted.

Random Axe said; “This show is EXACTLY what you make of it and there are no cliques to speak of. If there are then I am definitely not cool enough to be included either. By your own admission you skipped the two most social activities available. Saturday is a flurry of activity, auctions, sales, interactive panels, contests, door prizes and excitement.

If I remember correctly, I'm fairly certain I made it a point to ask your name and introduce/welcome you and your wife. I normally make that an emphasis as I can never have too many friends or new members of my extended family. From day one in 2008, I made friends that I'll have for a lifetime. That's the power of this show, and it bugs me that didn't happen for you.

I can't speak to merchandise or vendors but we have the coolest and most knowledgeable group of collectors and pop culture geeks on this planet. I hope you will consider coming again as I'd love for you to experience the wonderfulness of this community as I have.”

Hi, RA! I was there Saturday, I did go to a panel, I missed most of them, I was at the auction and I did patrol all three dealers rooms at least twice. I don’t remember meeting you, unless you where at the front desk selling Admission? And No, I don’t have a wife. “whew”  And yes, I WILL BE BACK,next year. I appreciate the work all of you do with your figures and the effort in putting this on for two days. I am just sorry, I have only know about this for only a year.

PNGwynne, Brown Bear, Noelani72: thanks for the encouragement!

Vintage Mike: here is the WEIRD THING (or not so weird) I DO NOT HAVE A “USERNAME”. On every site I am on, I just use my real name, and what’s funny is when I registered, the guy asked me for my “username”. I said I didn’t have one. I think I must have surprised him. 

AUSTIN said: “Why, oh why, can't all yous be as nice as me? LOL

Jorge, it was nice seeing you again. But, you only get out of Mego Meet what you put in. You need to be a little more bold next time and introduce yourself to more people. Walk up to
    every vendor and shake their hand and let them know who you are and what your interests are. Walk into the Mego Suite and announce to the room, "Hey, I'm Jorge Galavan and I love Megos!" Don't just dip your toe in the water. Jump in! Heck, do a cannonball while you're at it!”

Thanks, Austin, and I will say this, you probably were the MOST Friendliest person last year and this year in that you made an EFFORT to say hello to whoever crossed paths with you, I did notice that when I was roaming around! 

Here’s another thing too, I don’t want to be [THAT GUY, who comes on too strong and opinionated, and then have everyone say, “oh that Jorge, he’s a Jerk!” Not, that I am by nature, but I don’t want to MEDDLE in anyone’s affairs or bizness!

I will be back next years, but in the meantime, who would you recommend HERE, that will do custom figures for me, at reasonable prices??? THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE!!

Jorge Galvan.
    Last edited by Jorge Galvan; Jun 28, '16 at 3:16 PM.

Images
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Galvan View Post
    Vintage Mike: here is the WEIRD THING (or not so weird) I DO NOT HAVE A “USERNAME”. On every site I am on, I just use my real name, and what’s funny is when I registered, the guy asked me for my “username”. I said I didn’t have one. I think I must have surprised him. 
    Jorge, your USERNAME is obviously "Jorge Galvan". Just like Brue also uses his real name as his Username.

Just say that is your username next time at the front desk, and if you opt to wear a name tag with your name on it (as almost all of us do, with both our online username and real name), it goes a long way towards getting to know other people and helping them remember who you are when you come back in subsequent years. Harder to get to know someone if they can't put a face to a name. Think of it as a short-cut if you are feeling too shy to introduce yourself. Your name tag does that for you, and a huge reason why folks are encouraged to wear them (as well as proving that you paid your admission to get in). More often than not, if folks see "Jorge Galvan" on your name tag, they might recognize your name at least from the Mego Museum forums here, and that can be an instant ice breaker if they have already chatted with you online and see that you are not a complete stranger to them.

Or do what I did for a couple of years after my first Mego Meet... steal David Lee's name tag and wear that. 8)
    Last edited by samurainoir; Jun 30, '16 at 12:03 PM.