X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SKotK
    Career Member
    • Mar 11, 2014

Originally posted by dr_cyclops
    Noticed you didn't mention anything about washing the acetone off the boots. Acetone residue will damage the plastic over time. The rattling inside is most likely a plastic wink. Seems sometimes these end up inside the torso. As for head removel, microwave, (or boiled water) 3 min. in coffee cup. dunk head for about 2 min. Head should soften well enough to remove.
    Oh yeah...I did in fact wash off the boots with soap and water after using the acetone. Hopefully I got them clean enough that there's no acetone left.

I did manage to pop the head off by using a careful squeezing/twisting motion, and found that the plastic rattling around was a flesh-colored plug, same size as the neck or arm holes. I'm guessing it just fell in there and was left as-is. I pulled it out and saved it for...who knows what.

--SKot
    Look what happens when you aren't allowed to play with "dolls"...

WANTED: partly-unsealed or bubble-damaged carded Romulan + unbroken plant trap from Mission to Gamma VI

Comment

• LonnieFisher
      Eloquent Member
      • Jan 19, 2008

That cleaned up awesome!
      Just a side comment about the term block used with drying the costumes. I do believe the word you want is blot, and not block.

Comment

• SKotK
        Career Member
        • Mar 11, 2014

Originally posted by LonnieFisher
        That cleaned up awesome!
        Just a side comment about the term block used with drying the costumes. I do believe the word you want is blot, and not block.
        You might be right about that. PNGwynne, did you mean 'blot', or 'block'?

--SKot
        Look what happens when you aren't allowed to play with "dolls"...

WANTED: partly-unsealed or bubble-damaged carded Romulan + unbroken plant trap from Mission to Gamma VI

Comment

• PNGwynne
          Master of Fowl Play
          • Jun 5, 2008

I mean "block", because technically you're using the pressure of the towels and the residual moisture to re-set the threads and shape of the costume. But Lonnie's correct in a way, because the excess moisture is also blotted away in between the towels.

Fabric crafts/clothing can be blocked (set into shape with fiber adjustment) many ways: steam, mist, dunking--with all sorts of manipulation to set a shape as the item dries. Pinning, for instance. But I'm using the term as I learned it as a costuming technician in college, I don't claim expertise.
          Last edited by PNGwynne; Jun 28, '16, 3:42 PM.
          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎