X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brue
    User without title
    • Sep 29, 2005

Another Mego Meet has past.

Another Mego Meet has PASSED not PAST (how embarrassing)

I wrecked my minivan a week prior to the meet. What I was driving was in question. I would have loved to drive the Jokermobile, but it is SLOW, not air conditioned, no cruise, loud and 45 years old -so I thought I would drive my 2010 Hyundai Accent sub compact car. My dad then need to leave his car at my house while he travelled. So I took his 2014 Mercedes.

We picked up durgos (Dan) and headed to Chicago.

A planned stop at Ft. Wayne for lunch at a Rib Fest with live music. We also visited the replica of the historic fort.

Then we hit traffic in Indiana. Then massive Chicago traffic. We managed to get Dan to the Doubletree at 6:30 or so.

Lily and I went to our airbnb and walked to Lake Michigan. Beautiful. We did some art with college kids supporting Orlando victims then walked back. Lily wanted to go to Aw Yeah comics, but I didn't think it would be open so 't ordered Giodanas deep dish and watched Zoolander.

We arrived at the Meet before noon Friday. I took a while to set up. Lily was already itching to start socializing and customizing.

I spent all of my money by 5:00 and then some. I found the Jokermobile! I also got a bat lab. I found the Figures Teen Titans cheap at Derek's table - so cheap I bought 11 more figures from him.

Lily and I got things from David Lee at a steal.

Doc also hooked Lily up with free stuff.

I bought from several people including EMCE hammer. He sells stuff lower than fair prices, but he still took and restored my Spidey in addition.

Before 5 Lily was in the Mego Suite customizing. I joined her at 5 and others started trickling in. The suite was a ton of fun. We left at midnight.

Saturday we arrived around 9:30. We put on our Mego outfits. -Lily was so excited to debut Supergirl. I wish I had the plastic wig I wanted for Tarzan. I tried to put together some more figures, but I wasn't motivated enough. -See finished group in photos.

Lily started a new custom even though she had 2 done already. -Thanks to Chad, Sean, David Lee, Austin and Doc for helping her out with these.

After the group photo around 2:30 Lily and I changed costumes. (Some posted. I might have more photos I still have to upload)

There were soon many people I talked to. The socializing is the best part for me. I know there were friends and potential new friends I didn't get to talk to much -so you'll have to come back next year.

Lily was happy to win a prize in the customs contest and I am glad she traded away the KISS figure because the Anna and Bratz dolls made purrfect gifts for Eleanor (and she doesn't know KISS).

Dan and I both acquired too much stuff so the car was too full. I jettisoned the wood shelf I used to display figs.

We hit traffic in several places on the way home. We lost an hour for time zone. Our fast food stop was anything but fast. I dropped of Dan off and got home after 7.

We were tired today.

We had a great weekend and look forward to next year.

Lily says she will run Mego Meet in 2020 with the Boy.

Photos are here:

https://www.flickr.com/gp/26576987@N02/KjcK00
    Last edited by Brue; Jun 20, '16, 11:55 PM.
  • noelani72
    27inaleon
    • Jun 25, 2002

^^lol 2020 is shaping up to be a great event so far.

Comment

• Iron Mego
      Wake Up Heavy
      • Jan 31, 2010

Love the costumes! What great memories you will have with your daughter.
      Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• Bronxboykev
        Permanent Member
        • Mar 7, 2011

Pleasure to see you and Lily again this year. It isn't a Meet without you guys!!!

Comment

• rche
          channeling Bob Wills
          • Mar 26, 2008

So much fun chatting with you and Lily. Tell her thanks for the help and inspiration for Cip while he was building his custom.
          Next year I need to set up a green screen and do photo ops with any cosplay folks. You will believe a cosplaying gal can fly.

Comment

• samurainoir
            Eloquent Member
            • Dec 26, 2006

I think you guys and your bazillion costume changes are always a highlight of the Meet for everyone, but this year you two really outdid yourselves with the Mego Tarzan and Supergirl. simply brilliant. Best Cosplay at Mego Meet ever!

and really fun to see you continue to put together original Megos from parts found.

Glad Lily has dragged you to Mego Meet, even with the move to Skokie. The Meet will definitely be in good hands with her and The Boy running things. They are both custom making machines having grown up in the hobby now.
            My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• David Lee
              The Fix-it-up Chappie
              • Jun 10, 2002

Fun time Brue, you and Lilly are true Mego Meeters re-pleat with CosPlay, and make it fun every year. Your a great Dad and you raised a great kid. I hope one day you can visit her in Oklahoma.

Dave

Comment

• VintageMike
                Permanent Member
                • Dec 16, 2004

Good to see you, even if we only chatted briefly this year. When I saw you continuing to work on your WGSH in the suite I instantly regretted forgetting my parts box this year!

Comment

• nvmbrsdoom5
                  Persistent Member
                  • Mar 1, 2005

It was great seeing you both, and I'm not kidding when I say that my wife was most looking forward to seeing what costumes and antics you'd be up to this year. You did not disappoint

Comment

• Brue
                    User without title
                    • Sep 29, 2005

We only planned one new costume each, but I lugged the whole bin up so I felt obligated to change multiple times.
                    I had another 6 or so outfits I did not wear (including Captain America, Flash, Reverse Flash, Batman, and Spiderman)

Lily only brought 3

Comment

• Brue
                      User without title
                      • Sep 29, 2005

This is me and the generic Mego Action Jackson

Comment

• Brue
                        User without title
                        • Sep 29, 2005

A costume I haven't worn for a decade:

(I am getting ready to take flight. (not costipated)

Comment

• Brue
                          User without title
                          • Sep 29, 2005

This kid has more Mego Meets under her belt than most humans:

Comment

• Brue
                            User without title
                            • Sep 29, 2005

Spergirl costume going for the kresge card art

Comment

• Brue
                              User without title
                              • Sep 29, 2005

Here is the project I started MM 15 and did a little work on at MM16:

And some spares:

The eighteen that are finished /or started to the point of recognition averaged $15.
                              The naked body's and parts were just collateral and cost little extra.
                              Last edited by Brue; Jun 24, '16, 10:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎