Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brave and the Bold: Mayhem of the Music Meister (all 14 costume variations)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • megowgsh
    Customego HoF Curator
    • Nov 19, 2003

Brave and the Bold: Mayhem of the Music Meister (all 14 costume variations)

Simply stated, the "Mayhem of the Music Meister" is the single, greatest animated super-hero cartoon ever produced. EVER PRODUCED!!!!

The above sentence is the one I typed when I posted my original custom Music Meister thread back in September of 2015 featuring his most recognizable "Zoot Suit" version. Well, I still feel that way today as I present to you my custom Music Meisters (plural) in their 14 different costume changes.

For those who may not be familiar with the character, here is a little background from Wikipedia:

"Mayhem of the Music Meister!" is an episode of the Batman: The Brave and the Bold animated series. The episode features the villainous Music Meister (voiced by Neil Patrick Harris), who uses his power to control people through song to try to take over the world. Written by Mike Jelenic and directed by Ben Jones, the episode premiered on October 23, 2009, the 24th of the first season.

The Music Meister uses his powers to control people through music to induce Black Canary, Green Arrow, Aquaman, Black Manta, Gorilla Grodd and Clock King to hijack a United Nations communications satellite, launching it into space after they install a device for him. When Batman intervenes, he orders them to attack the hero, which they do in a dance style reminiscent of West Side Story. His plan successful, the Meister frustrates Batman once more, escaping by forcing his captives to dance towards the rocket blast, making the hero rescue them rather than apprehend the villain. Meister escapes to an empty opera house where, in a parody of Phantom of the Opera, he plays the organ to a cardboard audience. Batman tries to capture him on a cross-town chase while he sings "Drives us Bats", eventually releasing prison inmates (including villains seen from past episodes) to attack the heroes. Having heard Black Canary sing about her unrequited love for Batman, the Meister has fallen for her, but not enough to give up villainy, and she rejects him. Meister manages to capture Black Canary and Batman and puts them in a death trap. They escape as Music Meister hypnotizes the world with his music (with help of the satellite). When Black Canary becomes his slave, Batman induces Black Canary to sing as high as he, using the satellite to transmit her sonic scream to break Music Meister's mind control. Batman finally defeats the Music Meister, and kindly rejects Black Canary's advances for a final time. Though Black Canary gives up on Batman, she finds love with Green Arrow, who had also held unrequited feelings for her for the duration of the episode.

And, here is my favorite scene from the show:

Here is a collage I put together of all the costume changes of the Music Meister during this single episode:

A custom project of this magnitude demands the proper display. And, what better than a Dida Display?
    The display set is a Dida Display "Stage" with the backdrops designed and printed by me to look like the stage scene at the club TB&TB in the episode. I was going to include a giant set of drums in the display but they were so big they left little room for the figures. The display serves as the backdrop for all of the individual pictures that follow.

From "Mayhem of the Music Meister":

My TB&TB Dida Display Stage:

(Please note: all Music Meister heads, except for "Choir Boy" and "Gene Simmons" were constructed using the CTVT Richie Cunningham head as a base with sculpted on goggles. The notes and bars on every set of goggles are actually stickers designed by me and produced by the legendary Laser Mego.)

The first version is the "Conductor" from the opening of the show. He is built on an original Type 2 Mego body with white hands; shoes and jacket from CTVT; suit by me; head a combination of my base Music Meister sculpt as mentioned above with the hairline from CTVT's Ricky Ricardo action figure; my paints.

"Choir Boy" is built on an original Mego Our Gang body; robe by the heroic Hawkmike; emblem by the legendary Laser Mego; shoes from CTVT; head a repro Alfalfa head with my custom goggles; my paints.

"The Phantom of the Opera" is built on an original Mego Type 2 body; with my custom Music Meister head; robe and shoes from CTVT; and emblems from the legendary Laser Mego.

"Liberace" is built on an original Type 2 Mego body with purple hands; CTVT shoes; suit and paints by me; jacket by the jaw-dropping talents of Jessica Rotich; wand by the unparalleled Todd Mello; and head is a combination of my Music Meister base head along with the hairline from a Liberace doll that was shrunk to scale. (Jessica also made a cape/cloak for this figure which came out exactly as I wanted, but it was so big it just didn't work with the rest of the group so I made the decision to leave it off.)

"Mozart" is built on an original Mego Type 2 body; shoes from CTVT; suit by the heroic Hawkmike; head is a combination of my Music Meister base head along with the hairline of a Mozart action figure enlarged to scale; paints by me.

"The Music Man" is built on an original Mego Type 2 body; CTVT boots; suit, head, hat, and paints by me; epaulettes by the jaw-dropping talents of Jessica Rotich.

"Disco" Music Meister is built on an original Mego Type 2 body; head is a combination of my Music Meister base head and the hairline of an OJ Simpson action figure by Shindana; platform shoes from CTVT; necklace from CTVT with emblem from the legendary Laser Mego; clothes from the heroic Hawkmike.

"Zoot Suit" Mego Meister. I made some slight changes to my original custom because I wanted them to be as stylistically consistent as possible. Built on an original Mego Type 2 body with purple hands; CTVT shoes; suit, head, hat by me; jacket by the heroic Hawkmike; emblems by the legendary Laser Mego; and wand by the unparalleled Todd Mello.

"Gene Simmons" was built on a Dr. Mego swivel arm body; suit and paints by me; platform boots from CTVT; CTVT Gene Simmons head re-rooted by the extraordinary Diane Grassteit.

"Country and Western" Music Meister was built on Dr. Mego swivel arm body; head, paints, suit by me; guitar and boots from CTVT; hat from an American Frontier action figure made black with aerosol spray Plasti Dip; chaps by the jaw-dropping talents of Jessica Rotich.

"Opera" Music Meister is built on an LJN swivel arm body; CTVT spear, and armor and boots painted gold; furry shorts and boots courtesy of the jaw-dropping talents of Jessica Rotich; and his beautiful braids were made with lots of love by the extraordinary Diane Grassteit.

"Elvis" is built on a Dr. Mego swivel arm body; platform shoes from CTVT; head is a combination of my base Music Meister head and the hairline of an Elvis action figure shrunk to scale; wand by the unparalleled Todd Mello; and suit by the heroic Hawkmike.

"Punk Rocker" Music Meister is built on an original Mego T2 body; boots and necklace from CTVT; spiked hair from the legendary Laser Mego; and custom suit from the heroic Hawkmike.

"Power Suit" Music Meister is built on a Castaway Toys Type S body; suit by me; boots from a Mattel Retro Green Lantern made black with aerosol spray Plasti Dip; boot emblems courtesy of the legendary Laser Mego; head a combination of my base Music Meister head with the hairline from a Hunter-Prey Superman action figure; wand by the unparalleled Todd Mello with microphone added from a George Burns action figure.

Group shot!

Here's a collage of all my custom Music Meisters:

Thanks to all those for their kind words who saw this set in person at Mego Meet 2016. It's not everyday I get a chance to share my customs in person and I have to admit it was pretty cool to be able to do that.

This was truly a labor of love and could not have been completed without the help and dedication of the following people: Hawkmike; Laser Mego; Jessica Rotich; Diane Grassteit; Todd Mello; and Dida Displays. I owe much thanks to these extraordinary people. I will forever be in your debt.

I hope you enjoy my customs as much as I do, and, as always, thanks for looking.

Peace, Love, and Megos!

Austin
    Last edited by megowgsh; Jun 19, '16, 7:25 AM.
    Check out ALL my customs at https://www.facebook.com/megowgshcustoms
  • thunderbolt
    Hi Ernie!!!
    • Feb 15, 2004

Quite the collection of Meisters!! Wish I could have seen them in person.
    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

I admire this episode almost as much as you, I'm amazed. Particularly impressed with each head modification to accommodate hair-styles, I was wondering how you'd do that.

These are wonderful, what a labor of love. I want to see that Liberace cape!
      Last edited by PNGwynne; Jun 19, '16, 8:29 AM.
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Apjac Corny
        Museum Super Collector
        • Jan 12, 2016

I love them! That choir boy figure is hilarious and perfect!

Austin, you are a customizing genius!

Comment

• BATMAN89
          Mego obsessed!!!
          • Jul 20, 2010

They look great, and even better in person!!! I'm amazed at the amount of work that it must've taken to do all these versions!
          Big Kid Toys Facebook Page!

My Good Trader's List
          My Early Custom Megos

Comment

• Bronxboykev
            Permanent Member
            • Mar 7, 2011

They were Fantastic!!!

Comment

• TheNewGiJoeWithKungFuGrip
              Veteran Member
              • Jun 18, 2015

These are truly epic.
              The hands that grip.

Comment

• darkbros
                Persistent Member
                • Jul 3, 2012

That is dedication! Awesome job!
                Customizing 1:9: My Videoblog journey of Customizing!
                https://www.facebook.com/customizingonenine
                ---------------------------------------------------------------------
                "I don't do it for the haters, I do it for the players." --snoop dogg

Comment

• wilbs518
                  Mego Collector
                  • Jul 25, 2009

TOO Cool! Great work Austin! That is one of my favorites, also. My daughters love it too. We have the soundtrack in the car.
                  sigpic

Comment

• daz71
                    Persistent Member
                    • Jul 19, 2014

wow what a fantastic set of figures,great work.

Comment

• hawkmike
                      Persistent Member
                      • Dec 15, 2003

wow impressive Austin!
                      wanted mego arch reactor

Comment

• Grimjohn
                        Persistent Member
                        • Feb 28, 2011

Absolutely magnificent! Thank you for sharing them with us in Skokie!
                        My Finished Custom Figures

Comment

• dr_cyclops
                          One eyed, wonder
                          • Dec 17, 2009

You just granduated from 'Mr. Prolific' to 'Bionic Austin'! Congrabutations.

Comment

• darklord1967
                            Persistent Member
                            • Mar 27, 2008

An AWESOME series of figures from an AWESOME guy!

I must say, here and now, that Mr. Austin Hough is truly one of the triple "G"s of the Mego community (gentle giant gentlemen). Feeling MAJORLY depressed that at the last minute I could not attend MEGO MEET this year, Austin (and Steve too) still managed to take some time out of their busy Friday set-up schedule to give me a phone call and offer a much-needed cheer up.

That right there is the definition of classy gentlemen!

Congratulations Austin on a stunning group of figures!
                            I... am an action figure customizer

Comment

• The Toyroom
                              The Packaging King
                              • Dec 31, 2004

That is so f'in crazy!
                              Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎