X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Bat
    Batman Fanatic
    • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
    Maybe this proves, you can't go home again. The creators are obviously more interested in more adult material, and the fans just want more BTAS. Why anyone thought you'd get that with the very adult and disturbing Killing Joke story, I'm not sure

Chris

Excellent point Chris.
    sigpic

Comment

• samurainoir
      Eloquent Member
      • Dec 26, 2006

Maybe this proves, you can't go home again. The creators are obviously more interested in more adult material, and the fans just want more BTAS. Why anyone thought you'd get that with the very adult and disturbing Killing Joke story, I'm not sure, but their new material has compounded the issues with that story, rather than solve them, for many at least.

Chris
      I'm in complete agreement that the new material here has just simply increased the problematic aspects of the original story, but I do think Warner Animation has had great success with adapting mature content in the past few years. I quite enjoyed Under the Red Hood, Batman Year 1, Batman The Dark Knight, Son of Batman and Batman vs Robin for example. But I think there are lines that shouldn't be crossed when it comes to Batman, and to me, Killing Joke worked best when it remained suggestive and open to interpretation as the original source material was, rather than explicit. Leave it up to each individual's imagination in terms of what happened off-screen during Joker's assault on Barbara. Likewise, the speculation around whether or not Batman snaps Joker's neck immediately following the end scene gains some really powerful impact as an IDEA, again because it exists purely in the imagined realm as possibility. To some, that is rather on point with Batman's opening and closing monologue, as the logical outcome, whereas others see it as a forbidden desired outcome on Batman's part, that will never happen in the unending circular nature of their relationship being deconstructed in this story. Joker's "If I'm going to have a past, I prefer it to be multiple choice!" as the path of the reader/viewer.
      My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
        Muddling through
        • Oct 4, 2008

over all I really liked the movie. I even liked the prologue but the sex scene was definitely not necessary. I don't think the R rating was necessary either, even with the sex scene. they did not show anything more than her bra, big deal. they could have easily gotten the normal pg13 on this but I think they wanted an R rating to say, "see we are cool and edgy too". either way, I liked the movie and would not give an negative spin on it. the animation was good, the voice cast perfect.

I have not read the graphic novel since it came out, but I think I will have to dig it out and give it another read

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
          Verbose Member
          • Mar 7, 2004

^To me, Batman and Son deserved an "R" rating for the first 5 minutes of ridiculous blood-letting action. It wasn't very mature, but it was totally over the top.

Chris
          sigpic

Comment

• Hedji
            Citizen of Gotham
            • Nov 17, 2012

Could it be that Bruce Timm is "loosing it" the way creators like George Lucas have been accused? Timm has always been so revered and untouchable.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
              Verbose Member
              • Mar 7, 2004

^I have nothing but the greatest admiration for Timm...but the guy's got a dirty mind.

I have some of his art books. He likes to draw LOTS of naked women in his cartoony style. So knowing that...you give him an "R" rating, and a story that's already very "adults only" and this was bound to happen.

As I said, he really already went there with Bruce and Barbara. It was only mentioned in Batman Beyond by the older Babs, but they had a relationship. Clearly, it was a physical one. So it's part of the sacred BTAS continuity...like it or not. And honestly, I never really have.

Chris
              sigpic

Comment

• libby 1957dog
                Persistent Member
                • Sep 3, 2009

^I have nothing but the greatest admiration for Timm...but the guy's got a dirty mind.

I have some of his art books. He likes to draw LOTS of naked women in his cartoony style. So knowing that...you give him an "R" rating, and a story that's already very "adults only" and this was bound to happen.

As I said, he really already went there with Bruce and Barbara. It was only mentioned in Batman Beyond by the older Babs, but they had a relationship. Clearly, it was a physical one. So it's part of the sacred BTAS continuity...like it or not. And honestly, I never really have.

Chris

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎