Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

who wants to see a Paul McGann 8th Doctor Spinoff?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • samurainoir
    Eloquent Member
    • Dec 26, 2006

who wants to see a Paul McGann 8th Doctor Spinoff?

How about instead of a search for an actor to play the 13th Doctor, they jump back and have a season or two featuring the 8th Doctor?

McGann seems open to it. We only got a taste of what could have been in the 50th Anniversary webisode/minisodes, as a Doctor that was desperate and at the end of his rope during the start of the Time War.

Doctor Who star Paul McGann has revealed that he feels like “there’s still a bit of potential” for the Eighth Doctor to appear onscreen again.

Discussing the fan petitions to give the Eighth Doctor his own spin-off TV series, he revealed: “I don’t think I’ve ever said this, but I’ll say it now… part of me wouldn’t mind at all.”

My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!
  • emeraldknight47
    Talkative Member
    • Jun 20, 2011

Wholeheartedly agree on this idea! Granted, his take on The Doctor was, shall we say, a little too fru fru (or however that's spelled) in his movie, but his Eight kicked butt in "Night of The Doctor" and immediately made me want to see more of him. Heck, just let Peter Capaldi regenerate back into McGann with the idea that there is some "unfinished business" he may need to attend to. McGann has been killing it as Eight in the series of Big Finish audio adventures.
    sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• ODBJBG
      Permanent Member
      • May 15, 2009

I'd be open to an 8th Doctor Show. Frankly I wish they'd do something more with the 7th as well.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
        Verbose Member
        • Mar 7, 2004

Heck, just have him regenerate back into him and let him be the 8th/13th Doctor.

I know blasphemy, but hey...Tom Baker already broke that rule!

Chris
        sigpic

Comment

• Bruce Banner
          HULK SMASH!
          • Apr 3, 2010

Absolutely. I've been saying for years that they should go back and give us a full season of McGann.
          Hold off on casting a new Doctor for at least a year and let McGann shine.
          That "Night of the Doctor" short was fantastic. Imagine how cool an 8th Doctor flashback season could be.
          PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• palitoy
            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
            • Jun 16, 2001

I'm going to say no, I don't like going backward and the whole thing would feel like fan service.

If they did a single show that somehow linked the 8th and the 12th, I'd be all over it.
            Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Gorn Captain
              Invincible Ironing Man
              • Feb 28, 2008

I like McGann as an actor, but his Doctor didn't impress. Of course, he had little time to do much "impressing"....
              "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• bobws
                Permanent Member
                • Feb 13, 2008

I would love to see paul get a few seasons. Even one this year would have been good as all we're getting is the X-mas special for the whole year.
                "Hang on Lady... We go for a RIDE!" - Shorty to Willie Scott.Best movie line from Indiana Jones & the Temple Of Doom

Comment

• Mikey
                  Verbose Member
                  • Aug 9, 2001

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                  Heck, just have him regenerate back into him and let him be the 8th/13th Doctor.

I know blasphemy, but hey...Tom Baker already broke that rule!

Chris
                  David Tennant did it first

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
                    Moderation Engineer
                    • Aug 14, 2003

I'd love to see more PM. It doesn't necessarily need to be a season, how about a couple of extended arcs that can be tied in with current/future doctor(s)?

Comment

• Mikey
                      Verbose Member
                      • Aug 9, 2001

I have to admit I didn't like McGann in the TV movie because I thought he was too needy and whiney (in a way almost like it was written to appeal to girls).

I was way more impressed with him in the Time War flashback -- which leaves me wanting more.

I do think a "spin-off" would be degrading to the character.

If they did it I want them to go full force .... Perhaps an entire DW season done in flashback (like Trail of a Time Lord)

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
                        Moderation Engineer
                        • Aug 14, 2003

Yeah, the flashback sold him for me too.

Comment

• SKotK
                          Career Member
                          • Mar 11, 2014

Originally posted by emeraldknight47
                          Wholeheartedly agree on this idea! Granted, his take on The Doctor was, shall we say, a little too fru fru (or however that's spelled) in his movie, but his Eight kicked butt in "Night of The Doctor" and immediately made me want to see more of him.
                          This is a great reason to see more of him: to see how he made that transition from the more traditional poncey Doctor he started out as in the TV movie, to the battle-hardened dressed-for-action Doctor that he wound up as at the end.

So to this idea I have always said "Hell Yeah!", even before "Night of the Doctor" came along.

--SKot

P.S. - I do still wish Eccleston had come back to do his part in the 50th. As much as I love John Hurt, it would have been much more satisfying to see Eight come back again and interact with the other Doctors, since the part was obviously written for him originally. And then we would have seen Paul McGann regenerate into Eccleston as well in "Night of the Doctor".
                          Look what happens when you aren't allowed to play with "dolls"...

WANTED: partly-unsealed or bubble-damaged carded Romulan + unbroken plant trap from Mission to Gamma VI

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎