Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • megomania
    Persistent Member
    • Jan 2, 2010

Every time I see this face it seems like it's a big pice of silly putty that someone took a pic to and started making lines.

I just want to squish it

Comment

• comicmike
      Persistent Member
      • Sep 22, 2009

I was born an artist, and I will always be a Mego customizer. Neal Adams' 60s-70s Batman is *pure* inspiration for me. Here is a gathering of some of my favourite Adams Batman face/shadow snip-its. Although I am still figuring out that Bat-emblem, this picture is how I visualize a stronger paintjob for the head sculpt (matching up the bat ears to be perfect mirrors shapes/ lengths of 1 another; and thickening up that neck). Ra's Al Ghul is adapted from Ra's concept art & prototype of The Farrow sculpt from 1 of my previous posts.

Comment

• TRDouble
        Permanent Member
        • Jul 10, 2012

I just fooled around with putting Batman on a Type S body... eh. The shorts are still an issue, as is the neck line. The neck peg is too small and will need to be adjusted to prevent it from popping out, just like most recent FTC figures. The money saved by going short on the sleeve and pant material doesn't help the situation either. But the shorts, that's the biggest issue for me. And made me realize that the Type S will not be the savior or equalizer this time.

I also pulled out my JLA Batman and his blue is darker than this Batman's, so the decision must be made whether you can live with the difference in blue. The JLA grey is darker too and the bat symbol is smaller and different as well.

I think I will take a Batman break and work on move Green Lantern from Fist Fighter to Type S body.

Comment

• Krypt0nite
          Radioactive!
          • Feb 13, 2010

Thanks for the great info, TRDouble.

Just some thoughts...

Maybe trimming the sleeves as to remove the hems and removing the adapter from the wrist to be able to push the gloves further back on the arm?

Replacing the cape with a deluxe one with the clasp in the front might hide the neck line...

I know the head size is not an issue for you, but pushing the belt down a bit might give the illusion of a larger chest and make the head look smaller...

I wonder if a tighter body suit could be placed on the body under his costume to bulk him up a little?

I don't know... I've thought about getting that headsculpt and trying to attach it to the Silver Age Batman that Mattel put out in their 9-inch line but that would require even the minimal paint skills that I do not possess

Comment

• jeffbearco
            Persistent Member
            • Mar 27, 2011

I think I'll wait until they do the figure in Black and Grey. Until then, this is a pass for me.
            It also looks like it needs the collar "ruff" that the 66 Batman figure has.

I think the biggest issue for me is the blue. It is just too light to be Batman to me. It is too light even for Blue Falcon! The light blue and the scowl make him look more like a party clown who has been peed on by the children he was supposed to be entertaining.

JeffBearCO

Comment

• thunderbolt
              Hi Ernie!!!
              • Feb 15, 2004

Trunks look horrible like he's wearing a diaper. head is a bit on the big side like most of FTC's stuff.
              You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• jeffbearco
                Persistent Member
                • Mar 27, 2011

As as "For The Record" moment, I just came across a picture of Christian Bale as Batman. In FTC's defence, that mask made his head look pretty out of scale. LOL

Christian_Bale_as_The_Dark_Knight.jpg

Just saying...

JeffBearCO

Comment

• thunderbolt
                  Hi Ernie!!!
                  • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by jeffbearco
                  As as "For The Record" moment, I just came across a picture of Christian Bale as Batman. In FTC's defence, that mask made his head look pretty out of scale. LOL

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18440[/ATTACH]

Just saying...

JeffBearCO
                  well, yeah, he's wearing a helmet, bronze age batman is wearing what amounts to a ski mask over his head.
                  You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Spyweb007
                    Persistent Member
                    • Apr 18, 2006

I think the neck really throws things off, with the broad chin the neck looks too small, Batman is muscular, his neck should come up almost straight with the bottom of the ears as far as width. I do like the fact that we finally have a new Batman sculpt though, and hope that if there are any color variations it looks better in a darker blue or black. I would pick up all of these figures if it was in the budget, but I'm so far behind now that I'll have to pick and choose.
                    Last edited by Spyweb007; May 31, '16, 2:08 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• Spyweb007
                      Persistent Member
                      • Apr 18, 2006

Anyone else think the 12" mego Batman head looks a bit like the Bale Batman pic posted above by JefBearCo, or is it just me?

Comment

• PNGwynne
                        Master of Fowl Play
                        • Jun 5, 2008

I agree about the neck.

Honestly, I'm surprised FTC hasn't shrunk some of Mego's 12" offerings for variety: Batman & Robin (reg. & magnetic), comic Superman, even Hulk for Solomon Grundy.
                        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Spyweb007
                          Persistent Member
                          • Apr 18, 2006

I would love to see all the 12" Mego heads in 8" scale, I like the 8" but think that the 12" Mego sculpts are a bit better in almost every instance.

Comment

• TRDouble
                            Permanent Member
                            • Jul 10, 2012

I have the 10"(?) Robin. That is a great head sculpt and would be nice with this Batman sculpt.
                            Last edited by TRDouble; May 31, '16, 10:56 PM.

Comment

• comicmike
                              Persistent Member
                              • Sep 22, 2009

Originally posted by TRDouble
                              I have the 10"(?) Robin. That is a great head sculpt and would nice with this Batman sculpt.
                              Yes! It would be so great!

Comment

• scott metzger
                                Persistent Member
                                • Jul 9, 2007

Originally posted by TRDouble
                                The money saved by going short on the sleeve and pant material doesn't help the situation either. .
                                Actually, I don't think it has to do with saving material; it's the tight boots and gloves. The hem at the end of the sleeve/leg would cause a bulge/ridge in the glove or boot where the costume ends. I've tried tucking it in/taping it down, and it looks bad. Only thing that might work is to carefully cut the hem off and tape it to the arm or leg tight enough so there isn't a big bulge, but that would mean stretching it down and there isn't a lot of leeway there.

As for Batman, I'm glad I passed on him. That over-sized head kills the whole figure, even without the costume problems (and the trunks and costume do look a bit funky). The head sculpt is actually good until you get down to the scrawny neck, which really ruins the whole silhouette, and then the volume finishes the job. The neck problem might be overlooked with the cape helping to compensate, but nothing can fix the head scale short of a 9.5 inch body.

My first pass of a DC comics Mego figure with a whole new head sculpt and look. For a Mego lover like me, that's REALLY bad. Thanks for posting pics, though; I was waiting to make a final decision until I saw in hand photos, in case a miracle happened.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎