• Hedji
    Citizen of Gotham
    • Nov 17, 2012

Or... Barlow has you hypnotized!!!

Comment

• drquest
      ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
      • Apr 17, 2012

This seems to talk a little about the gun in the mouth scene.

http://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=506242

This also confirms the shotgun scene.

http://www.mondo-digital.com/salemslot.html
      Last edited by drquest; Jun 3, '16, 5:30 PM.
      Danny(Drquest)
      Captain Action HQ
      Retro shirts and stuff
      More retro shirts
      Stuff For Sale

Comment

• Boy_Wonder_1978
        Career Member
        • Apr 30, 2015

Had a flick through my DVD a couple of nights back and I can confirm that the gun in the mouth scene is included on the UK DVD. As for Barlow floating around the old house, I could find nothing. As I say though, I did only have a flick through and could have possibly missed it 'IF' it is there. I need to watch all the way through.

For those who may not know, it's getting a blu ray release in Germany on September 22nd. No news on any other countries as yet, but it can't be far off.

Comment

• Toyman_Chris
          70's Era Pimp
          • Sep 7, 2011

I am a huge fan of this miniseries and I really enjoyed the Rob Lowe remake (possibly as much). I do not recall a "Barlow floating" scene and I have seen the movie at least 20 times. I have the original DVD version that was first released and it was just like the two VHS tape version.

Comment

• great_chandel
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 2, 2015

Many years ago, Fangoria Magazine reported that the makeup on Barlow had been ranked the scariest vampire ever on screen (Nosferatu was a close second).I loved the original "Salem's Lot." James Mason was a superb actor! Marie Windsor, Elisha Cook Jr., Lew Ayres, Geoffrey Lewis -- all marvelous (and all deceased). It was by far the best role David Soul ever had. However, the remake was just a poor man's rehash. As good as Rob Lowe and Donald Sutherland are in certain roles ( The Stand and Invasion of the Body Snatchers come to mind), the TNT made film was very disappointing on all levels.

Comment

• YoungOnce
              Career Member
              • Aug 29, 2007

Originally posted by great_chandel
              Many years ago, Fangoria Magazine reported that the makeup on Barlow had been ranked the scariest vampire ever on screen (Nosferatu was a close second).I loved the original "Salem's Lot." James Mason was a superb actor! Marie Windsor, Elisha Cook Jr., Lew Ayres, Geoffrey Lewis -- all marvelous (and all deceased). It was by far the best role David Soul ever had. However, the remake was just a poor man's rehash. As good as Rob Lowe and Donald Sutherland are in certain roles ( The Stand and Invasion of the Body Snatchers come to mind), the TNT made film was very disappointing on all levels.
              And I agree. I love that Barlow was not a dashing, Dracula-type vampire. He was a raw and violent creature. I don't think the show would have lived on in my memory if he had been another handsome leading actor type. This might be my favorite Steven King adaptation.

Comment

• Hedji
                Citizen of Gotham
                • Nov 17, 2012

Yup. As much as I like Rutger Hauer, nothing about his Barlow was memorable in the TNT remake. It was nice to see some scenes from the book, like the rotten bus driver with the Vampire kids. But the 1979 version has it beat in every other way. I'm sure the TNT version will not be remembered decades from now traumatizing kids the way the original did.

Comment

• mazinz
                  Persistent Member
                  • Jul 2, 2007

not sure if you were aware of this but the US blu for Salems lot is coming out shortly (Sept from Warner Bors) also with a new commentary track
                  "What motivated him to throw a puppy at the Hells Angels is currently unclear,"

Starroid Raiders Dagon wrote "No Dime Store Monster left behind"

Comment

• Hedji
                    Citizen of Gotham
                    • Nov 17, 2012

Can't wait. Dirt cheap at about $10 with a new Tobe Hooper commentary track.

Comment

• cjefferys
                      Duke of Gloat
                      • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by Bruce Banner
                      Love the book and love the TV miniseries. Still one of my very favourite works by King.
                      For fans of the book, the character of Father Callahan shows up in the last three volumes of King's Dark Tower series.

Comment

• Spawn67
                        Career Member
                        • Aug 14, 2009

Did anyone see this when it originally aired?

Comment

• enyawd72
                          Maker of Monsters!
                          • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by Spawn67
                          Did anyone see this when it originally aired?
                          One of the best King adaptations ever put on film...I think it holds up incredibly well. I think it still scares people who see it for the first time. I watched it when it first aired in 1979 at the tender age of seven. I don't even remember the Master, but there are two images that terrified me and I have never been able to get them out of my head...the first was Ralphie Glick floating outside the window clawing to get in, and the second was Danny Glick sitting up in his coffin.

I'm 44 years old now, and I often stay up late on the weekends to work on art or models...sitting at the kitchen table right next to our French doors, and sometimes, just sometimes, I look over my shoulder and half expect to see Ralphie Glick floating there. Still gives me the creeps to this day.

Comment

• Mikey
                            Verbose Member
                            • Aug 9, 2001

I've never even heard of a Rob Lowe Rutger Hauer remake until today.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                              Eloquent Member
                              • Jan 19, 2008

I watched it when it originally aired. I didn't like it. I thought it was boring.

Comment

• Hedji
                                Citizen of Gotham
                                • Nov 17, 2012

Like Dwayne, I saw it at the same age, and it ruptured my 7 year old brain. I mean, this thing messed me up for real. I could not sleep for months after. Months. I had to sleep with my back to the window because of the Glick boys scenes.

Today, I adore it.

Incidentally, it is now on Blu Ray, but Warner underestimated the demand for it, so the distribution is really poor. My Barnes and Noble preorder is in total limbo. I'm obsessively checking every day. People who have received theirs say the restoration for Blu Ray is stunning. This is now my number one holy grail for home video.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎