X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YoungOnce
    Career Member
    • Aug 29, 2007

Salem's Lot TV version, 1979

I recently picked up the Salem's Lot version that was supposed to be the more complete movie comprised of the two-part mini-series. Doing some research, I found that the version I have is supposed to be the most complete version available on DVD, but I swear it feels like it's still missing scenes.

I do remember the cheating Fred Willlard character scene where Cully puts the shotgun in his mouth, and I read that that scene isn't in this cut, but I thought I remembered a scene where the vampire Mr Barlow is floating in the old house, but I didn't see it on the version I have.

Granted, I was only about fourteen when I saw this back in the day and maybe my memory is of something that was never there. I kept watching and waiting to see that scene, but it never came. Bummer.

Have you ever gone back to watch a movie from your childhood and realized your memory was flawed?

Am I crazy or does somebody else remember this scene?
  • Hedji
    Citizen of Gotham
    • Nov 17, 2012

According to everything I've read, the DVD is the most complete cut of the film available. I'm no authority, but I am a massive fan of this movie, and I've never seen nor heard of any scene featuring Barlow floating. I have the Cinefantastique issue and this book, which I highly recommend: http://www.amazon.com/Tobe-Hoopers-S...r_1_13&sr=8-13. None of those mention any such scene, but they document in detail how the Glick boys' floating scenes were shot.

I regularly visit Blu-ray.com's message boards, and there are significant rumors that Warner will be releasing this on Blu-Ray this year. I cannot wait. Let's hope they do a little bit of restoration and clean-up on the print.

I'll also just add that I watched it on it's initial viewing. I had to be about 7. I was traumatized. Literally slept with my back to the window of my room for years afterwards. Now, of course, I love it.

Comment

• mazinz
      Persistent Member
      • Jul 2, 2007

Back when dvds were still somewhat new (end of the 90's), the complete version was released in Canada on the format. Eventually this also was finally given a US release.

Going from info on the imdb it list this as alternate versions:

Broadcast on network TV in the United States to fill a 200 minutes time slot; later cut to 150 minutes. An alternate 112 minutes cable-TV cut was released theatrically in Europe and is available on video in the USA. The 112 minute version contains an altered scene of Cully Sawyer threatening Larry Crockett with a shotgun. Larry holds the shotgun barrel in his mouth, though in the mini-series he holds the barrel in front of his face. There is also an extended scene of Bill Norton impaled on antlers. Also, Salem's Lot: The Movie has some different music from the mini-series version.
      DVD contains 183 minute version which is the complete mini-series.
      The VHS 1987 version omits the scene where Ben and Mark are in Mexico, and a vampirized Susan is laying down on a cot in a hut. Then, Ben enters the room and impales her in the chest with a wooden stake.

and according to dvdcompare which compares versions from around the world we have this info:

OVERALL: Draw

Mini-series length version with additional bits of violence, missing from the original TV broadcasts.

CUTS:
      R0 America- Warner Home Video - No known cuts (182:54 NTSC).
      R2 United Kingdom- Warner Home Video - No cuts - This version contains 5 seconds of additional gory footage of Ed Flander's impalement previously only seen in the shorter 112 minute movie version (183:59 PAL).
      R4 Australia- Warner Home Video - No known cuts
      "What motivated him to throw a puppy at the Hells Angels is currently unclear,"

Starroid Raiders Dagon wrote "No Dime Store Monster left behind"

Comment

• YoungOnce
        Career Member
        • Aug 29, 2007

Thanks for the insight Mazinz. I had read that on IMBD. Even though the 183 minute cut is the one I have, and is touted as being the complete mini-series cut, it's still funny that the shorter theatrical cut has scenes not in the longer version.

Somewhere in my brain I'm holding out that maybe I didn't dream about the extra Mr Barlow scenes. I'm hoping for the blue ray too! Would love to see a clean version.

Comment

• mazinz
          Persistent Member
          • Jul 2, 2007

Originally posted by YoungOnce
          Thanks for the insight Mazinz. I had read that on IMBD. Even though the 183 minute cut is the one I have, and is touted as being the complete mini-series cut, it's still funny that the shorter theatrical cut has scenes not in the longer version.

Somewhere in my brain I'm holding out that maybe I didn't dream about the extra Mr Barlow scenes. I'm hoping for the blue ray too! Would love to see a clean version.
          you might want to read the 2 page thread here:

especially post #'s
          9 and on page two of that thread post 21 and 24

if the posts are not total BS, adds more to the pot
          "What motivated him to throw a puppy at the Hells Angels is currently unclear,"

Starroid Raiders Dagon wrote "No Dime Store Monster left behind"

Comment

• Boy_Wonder_1978
            Career Member
            • Apr 30, 2015

The U.K. DVD has the shotgun in the mouth scene included. I'm 95% certain it also has the floating Barlow scene.

Comment

• Hedji
              Citizen of Gotham
              • Nov 17, 2012

Originally posted by Boy_Wonder_1978
              The U.K. DVD has the shotgun in the mouth scene included. I'm 95% certain it also has the floating Barlow scene.
              If so, I would love to see it. If its an outtake that got edited in, or whatever. Is it just Barlow floating inside the Marsten House, or is it another predatory scene?

Not saying it doesn't exist, but Tom Holland borrowed Heavily from the climax of Salem's Lot when he made Fright Night. The Jerry Dandridge vampire turning into a bat and flying around the house could maybe confuse memories. Just a thought.

Comment

• Hedji
                Citizen of Gotham
                • Nov 17, 2012

By the way, I cannot recommend the score highly enough. So classic creepy 70s horror sounding. It's available at Intrada.com

Comment

• Starroid Raiders Dagon
                  Persistent Member
                  • Apr 28, 2013

"Have you ever gone back to watch a movie from your childhood and realized your memory was flawed?"
                  Yes! Terror on the Beach with Dennis Weaver that I watched as a kid, and had a nightmare about severed heads in color being slammed up against the windows of the caravan. Years later I found out it was a tv movie so I was sure there was no severed heads segment.
                  I tried watching this the other night but the stream was choppy. Probably the scariest vampire, ever(?).

Comment

• YoungOnce
                    Career Member
                    • Aug 29, 2007

Originally posted by Hedji
                    If so, I would love to see it. If its an outtake that got edited in, or whatever. Is it just Barlow floating inside the Marsten House, or is it another predatory scene?

Not saying it doesn't exist, but Tom Holland borrowed Heavily from the climax of Salem's Lot when he made Fright Night. The Jerry Dandridge vampire turning into a bat and flying around the house could maybe confuse memories. Just a thought.
                    I could be completely off, but my memory was of the boy Mark, and maybe someone else with him, exploring the old house in a scene earlier in the movie. That's where he sees Barlow, maybe for the first time. He escapes. The DVD movie shows Mark breaking into the house near the end for the climax of the series and that's it. It's crazy, but that's how I remember seeing Barlow either flying or floating in one of the rooms in th old mansion.

Comment

• Hedji
                      Citizen of Gotham
                      • Nov 17, 2012

I read the book last summer, and can't remember if it was like that in the book. Either way, the way you remember it sounds cool. I hope it does exist, and we one day get to see the scene.

Comment

• Boy_Wonder_1978
                        Career Member
                        • Apr 30, 2015

I'll have a check on this later and report back. The shotgun in the moth scene is 100% on my DVD, but going to have to check for Barlow floating around any room. Like I said in my earlier post, I'm only 'sure' it's there.

Comment

• Hedji
                          Citizen of Gotham
                          • Nov 17, 2012

Excellent. Would love to hear if you find it.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                            HULK SMASH!
                            • Apr 3, 2010

Love the book and love the TV miniseries. Still one of my very favourite works by King.
                            PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• YoungOnce
                              Career Member
                              • Aug 29, 2007

Originally posted by Hedji
                              I read the book last summer, and can't remember if it was like that in the book. Either way, the way you remember it sounds cool. I hope it does exist, and we one day get to see the scene.
                              Well, what you said about mixing up movies is completely a possibility. It was a long time ago, the actual airing in 1979.

But in my mind, it's very vivid. Crazy... I mean... I could be crazy...
                              Last edited by YoungOnce; May 29, '16, 1:55 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎