X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lilbrosj66
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 4, 2011

Originally posted by JediJaida
    I like Starfire, although her expression needs work. She is one of the happiest characters in DC, and that is in spite of all the crap that she has been through.

Raven looks masculine with that sculpt, but it's still better than the Solomon Kane head!

It's too bad that the bodies are such a mess. Starfire is known for being very curvaceous and this body just ISN'T!

If there was a torso in that shade that we could exchange with this one, then I wouldn't mind putting down the cash to do a swap.
    LOL! I just realized when you mentioned Solomon Kane. Raven looks like she could be his little sister! And the Starfire head sculpt reminds me of Molly's sister on Mike and Molly!

Comment

• Boywonder0
      Persistent Member
      • Dec 29, 2007

Shazam Family Wave:

FTC nailed Captain Marvel head sculpt. As a matter of fact I can't think of a better head sculpt in this format neither of custom nor factory make. Jr. looks great but his head does look huge. I won't get disappointed yet and we'll wait to see it in person as the trend has been everything from FTC looks much better in person... But he really needs a red cape trimmed yellow! All others in the line are ok.

Teen Titans:

Nightwing head sculpt is horrendous... I don't know why FTC insists in sculpting toothy or opened mouth heads... Please don't!
      Cyborg looks good and Raven and Starfire are awesome renditions in female format. Female heads came out smaller in this line than in other lines...
      Last edited by Boywonder0; May 27, '16, 10:09 AM.

Comment

• scott metzger
        Persistent Member
        • Jul 9, 2007

Originally posted by CrimsonGhost
        Unfortunately, assuming the lightning bolts on Cap and Jr.'s chests are the same size, I think Jr. probably has a giant head...as well as Sivana, which doesn't bother me as much.
        Jr. and Sivana might be on teen bodies however and therefore the lightning bolt wouldn't necessarily be the same size. I can't tell. I like the Jr. sculpt a lot, so I hope I'm wrong.
        And I like Cap's head too. The size looks good!
        I'm assuming they are on teen bodies, as the first version of Sivana was.

Wow, real mixed bag running the spectrum from great to "AUUUGGGHHHH!"

Marvels

Big Red Cheese: Just about perfection in capturing the classic look. Squinty eyes, big smile, costume details, even head size looks exactly as it should. I think it's one of their best translations from original source material. If everything they did was at this standard, we'd have the best Megos ever.

Mary: One of the "AUUUGGGGHHHH!" moments. Would have been better to just stick the standard brown head there. The paint job is..frightening.

Jr.: One of their best head sculpts period; hard to tell scale here with the body, but hoping for the best.

Sivana: nothing unexpected, as we've seen the head before. Too big, but passable given the character.

Titans

Nightwing: Costume looks good, it does seem they've fixed some problems brought up when he was first shown. The head looks in pretty good scale, but it definitely off. Part of it seems the expression; simple closed mouth would have suited him much better.

Cyborg: head still looks too big, but not as bad on him with the bulky arms and legs. THe design works well, I think, with the Tin Man approach on the arms and legs. He's definitely the best of the bunch.

Raven: hard to comment as half her costume is missing, namely the iconic cape that makes up the main part of her overall look. The head is definitely too big, and the sculpt is passable, but not great. I'm assuming the sides of the skirt are split like the Catwoman proto we saw, and I see the snaps/hooks where the cape will attach eventually, so I know that we're just seeing something not yet finished. That huge noggin is going to throw the entire silhouette off when the cape is present, though, as the hood is going to look way off. The basic design seems pretty sound, but the execution is barely paassable.

Starfire: Misfire on so many counts. The design of the costume is fairly good, though the details are off from the start, especially on the torso. For something trying to capture Mego style, though, it's workable. The head and hair, though, are a total miss. The face is way off; the basic female head in orange would be far better. And the hair misses the mark completely. Kory's hair isn't just long, it's full all over in this iteration. It should have been done with a lot more waviness/curl to it from top to bottom. And the lack of any type of styling hurts here, too; she should have two big Mego Robin type curls coming at each other on her forehead. Something like a two sided curl from the actual Mego Supergirl could have sufficed. Tnew parts for the arms look good, and can't tell what the boots look like, but this one is pretty much a full miss on the most important counts.

Three out of 8 are really good to fantastic, with Cap taking the prize as just about perfect. The rest go from passable to outright failure. Problem I see here is that we seem to be getting more of the latter and less of the former as time goes on. The head size issue isn't going away, as FTC has made it extremely clear they have no intention of even TRYING to address it, and I base this on the fact we're getting an Alfred in virtually EVERY wave of figures now. It's just waiting to see which much anticipated figure from each new wave gets ruined by the bobblehead treatment. I've already passed on one figure entirely (Adam's Batman) because of this, and will probably start doing so more often (the "gotta catch 'em all" bug was killed by Bat's horrendously huge noggin, and that makes it easier to say not to others). Add that to other things like some off kilter head sculpts, bad design choices and scary paint jobs like Mary here, and things seem to be getting worse instead of better. FTC has actually gotten to the point that an old Mego fanatic like me is passing on some of their product in lines I should be all over, and that means things are getting really, really bad.
        Last edited by scott metzger; Jun 1, '16, 1:25 PM.

Comment

• Hedji
          Citizen of Gotham
          • Nov 17, 2012

Thanks for the newsletter. It's always nice to get bright, colorful news on Friday morning in my email.

Comment

• jeffbearco
            Persistent Member
            • Mar 27, 2011

You can see the full packaged versions in the preorder section on FTC's web site.

That helps pull them all into prospective.

JeffBearCO

Comment

• lilbrosj66
              Persistent Member
              • Jul 4, 2011

On second look, I'm even more disappointed with Starfire's head sculpt. The card art is spot on. She looks young, doe-eyed and happy. The sculpt itself looks older, cynical and mad at the world. They did nail the hair, though. IMHO.

Starfire.jpg
              Last edited by lilbrosj66; May 27, '16, 11:09 AM.

Comment

• TRDouble
                Permanent Member
                • Jul 10, 2012

2016_FTC_NTT_CARDED_Starfire.1.jpg
                2016_FTC_NTT_LOOSE_Starfire.1.jpg

Starfire's hair actually looks like it is well packaged; that's a first for a FTC female figure!
                Last edited by TRDouble; May 27, '16, 11:17 AM.

Comment

• nubee
                  Career Member
                  • Feb 15, 2010

Alrite....SHAZAM! Must get that Captain Marvel. Much better than the previous releases. The suit looks like they are gonna fit the Type S better too.

Raven looks good too...reminds me of Talia though. I think "Yvonne" might go right into that Raven clothes instead.

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
                    Often invisible
                    • Jul 18, 2002

Based on these full size images, i think Jr. is on the KISS/Korak skinny body.
                    Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• Boywonder0
                      Persistent Member
                      • Dec 29, 2007

Originally posted by CrimsonGhost
                      Based on these full size images, i think Jr. is on the KISS/Korak skinny body.
                      Hopefully brotha!

Comment

• JediJaida
                        Talkative Member
                        • Jun 14, 2008

She DOES look ticked off! Pass.
                        JediJaida

Comment

• Mego Milk
                          Custom Mego Maker
                          • Jun 3, 2007

aw.
                          yeah.
                          re-megos.

Comment

• drogge
                            Career Member
                            • Jul 24, 2009

I like them all, July can't come soon enough. Starfire would have looked better with bangs, the hair styling needs improvement across all the female releases.

Comment

• Figure8
                              Museum Patron
                              • May 18, 2016

Really like Captain Marvel and hope I can find one. He's better than any other version so far. I think Cyborg is the best likeness of the Titans. Starfire looks good costume-wise but her expression really doesn't fit her. I get that head-size is an issue but complaints about some of the costume-details seem excessive to me. It's not like Mego always bothered too much about details. Sometimes they added them where they didn't fit, see Batman's pupils.

Comment

• kingdom warrior
                                OH JES!!
                                • Jul 21, 2005

Shazam Family is a must have! Great job!

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎