Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

Just watched Theater of Blood for the first time a few weeks ago. Similar vibe to Phibes, with perhaps even blacker humor! I really enjoyed it.

Happy birthday Vincent!

Chris
    sigpic

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

If anyone isn't watching Dr. Gangrene's YouTube series, "The Fantastic Films of Vincent Price", you should! It covers Price's entire career, and he even throws in some vintage commercials with Vincent!

Award-winning Nashville-based TV Horror Host Dr. Gangrene explores the films of the merchant of menace, Vincent Price, in chronological order from first to l...

Chris
      sigpic

Comment

• PNGwynne
        Master of Fowl Play
        • Jun 5, 2008

Thanks for the referral, Chris. I"ve seen bout 90% of those, and own about half.
        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• PNGwynne
          Master of Fowl Play
          • Jun 5, 2008

Happy birthday, Vincent!

On tonight's dvd menu: Rappacini's Daughter as an appetizer, House of Usher the entree. Perhaps a dessert of Batman'66 if I don't nod off.
          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• PNGwynne
            Master of Fowl Play
            • Jun 5, 2008

Somehow a new Mego of Price? That would be wonderful.

Comment

• Goblin19
              Talkative Member
              • May 2, 2002

I love Vincent Price too. Definitely my favorite horror actor, though I do love Christopher Lee, as well. Truth be told, Vincent Price is really just one of my favorite actors. I think I usually describe his later performances as just the perfect amount of hammy.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                Master of Fowl Play
                • Jun 5, 2008

Yes, just a great character actor. His '40s Fox roles--Laura, Leave Her to Heaven, Keys to the Kingdom, Dragonwyck, Song of Bernadette--are revelatory. In the '50s--His Kind of Woman and While the City Sleeps, good supporting noir parts. He really could do it all, even sing.

Comment

• Meule
                  Verbose Member
                  • Nov 14, 2004

Big fan here too... Egghead was my favorite villain from the Batman 66 show...

A local artist made this a few years ago, as part of an exhibition with various celebrities... When I saw this I just had to have it

"...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• mego
                    Veteran Member
                    • Sep 16, 2012

I met him when I was 12 In 1989 or 1988 by Mann’s Chinese theater... he was either presenting something or being presented something... not really sure. I remember seeing him waiting behind a podium, my family and I were just walking by and I noticed him and said “dad, that’s Vincent Price!” (I was a nerd back then too. Hahah). I walked behind the event, over cables and cords etc... none of the behind the scenes guys noticed me, or at least nobody stopped me, but I approached him and said Mr Price, I’m a big fan of your work.
                    He kneeled down and graciously thanked me a signed a scrap of paper for me with a big smile on his face. He was super cool.
                    I have no idea what happened to that autograph but my parents did snap a picture of it happening from a distance.
                    I still appreciate the kindness he showed to this random kid while he was obviously working on something official.
                    Love you Vincent!

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                      Verbose Member
                      • Mar 7, 2004

^That's awesome! What a great memory!

Looking back at this thread, I realize how it's been relatively recent since I dived into Price's work. He was always the "scary guy" growing up, but scary with a wink in his eye, so when he showed up on Batman or Brady Bunch, it was just fun.

I still have a lot of movies to see, but I've been enjoying the journey.

Chris
                      sigpic

Comment

• Confessional
                        Maker & Whatnot
                        • Aug 8, 2012

Mr. Price, true entertainment/intellectual/artist/art patron treasure. He get as many birthdays as he wants, forever.

I'll echo, wouldn't it be great to have a proper VP figure? He and Del Toro would throw one hell of party on my shelf.

Comment

• Goblin19
                          Talkative Member
                          • May 2, 2002

I’m happy with Egghead, but yeah, I’ve always wanted any Price character. Dr. Phones probably makes the most sense.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                            Master of Fowl Play
                            • Jun 5, 2008

Wonderful anecdote, mego--I'm envious.

Meule, I can't see your post image.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                              Master of Fowl Play
                              • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                              I still have a lot of movies to see, but I've been enjoying the journey.
                              It's pretty easy to think, "Oh, it's Vincent Price." He's charming and that's comfortable.

BUT, if you carefully watch the Corman Poe films, he is honestly playing distinct characters within his range and style: Roderick Usher is different from Nicholas Medina (The Pit and The Pendulum) who is in turn distinct from Prince Pospero. Even slightly miscast in "Tomb of Ligeia," Price is trying something a bit different in a role that has echos of Usher.

Ach, I could go on and on. I admire him.
                              Last edited by PNGwynne; May 29, '20, 5:24 PM.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                                Verbose Member
                                • Mar 7, 2004

I need to fill in my my viewing holes in the Poe cycle. Some of them I watched years and years ago, but it's been too long. We covered The Haunted Palace on our podcast last year, I absolutely love that one. Price's transformations between his two characters in camera is amazing.

Chris
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎