X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

Vincent Price's birthday & Dr. Phibes!

Well, I post this every year, so I can understand the eye-rolling. BUT...

Tomorrow, May 27, is Vincent Price's birthday, and tonight--as part of its Corman/AIP retrospective--TCM is showing my favorite Price film, The Abominable Dr. Phibes.

Kick back, honor Vinnie, and enjoy as Phibes unloads a Biblical can of whup-*** on the deserving. It's so much more fun than Se7en, and Vulnavia is great window-dressing.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.
  • Apjac Corny
    Museum Super Collector
    • Jan 12, 2016

No eye rolling here, I love Vincent Price. In fact, I was just watching The Fly earlier in the week in preparation for an upcoming custom.

I listened to a pretty good interview with his Daughter Victoria a few months back on Gilbert Gottfried's Amazing Colossal Podcast. It's a good podcast and worth checking out if you are into old movies, which I suspect most of us here are. Quite a few of his guests have been immortalized in Mego form including his most recent, Donny Most.

Happy Birthday Vincent!

Comment

• palitoy
      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
      • Jun 16, 2001

Everyday can be Vincent Price's birthday for all i care....
      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• drquest
        ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
        • Apr 17, 2012

I love Vincent Price as well! I was just watching The Comedy of Terrors last week and was thinking how great a movie it was.
        Danny(Drquest)
        Captain Action HQ
        Retro shirts and stuff
        More retro shirts
        Stuff For Sale

Comment

• TrekStar
          Trek or Treat
          • Jan 20, 2011

John Wayne turns 109 today May 26th!!! Happy Birthday pilgrim.

Comment

• Werewolf
            Inhuman
            • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Apjac Corny
            No eye rolling here, I love Vincent Price.
            Same here. Love his movies.
            You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Starroid Raiders Dagon
              Persistent Member
              • Apr 28, 2013

I love Vincent Price. I really want to see a new Phibes movie. I havent watched them in a long time but I always saw him as the anti-hero in those movies. I used to pretend I was him as a kid when playing make believe. Man, a 2016 Phibes movie could be such a mind trip. Happy Birthday, Mister Price!

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                Verbose Member
                • Mar 7, 2004

I missed all but the end of Phibes last night, but watched it anyway!

Despite my love for the man in nearly everything else, I've only recently began to check out his horror filmography in earnest. TCM has really been helping me out! Phibes is definitely the best of the later films he did, and probably one of the most original horror films I've ever seen. Still need to check out the sequel.

Happy belated Mr. Price!

Chris
                sigpic

Comment

• daz71
                  Persistent Member
                  • Jul 19, 2014

christopher lee's birthday today too and peter cushing's was yesterday.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                    Master of Fowl Play
                    • Jun 5, 2008

^Yes!

...Regarding a new Phibes film, there have been mutterings for years of a Burton/Depp vehicle. They're both fans.

Considering how much I loved Sleepy Hollow and disliked Dark Shadows, I don't know how I feel about them attempting Phibes.
                    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• palitoy
                      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                      • Jun 16, 2001

Phibes might work for them, it's not without it's comedic tones.
                      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• PNGwynne
                        Master of Fowl Play
                        • Jun 5, 2008

I agree. I find "Phibes" really funny at times, and with a sort of The Avengers tone which is apt considering director Robert Fuest. I still chuckle aloud at parts of it (the men's club particularly) even after so many viewings. But while I found the humor in Sleepy Hollow apt, Dark Shadows--not so much.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                          Master of Fowl Play
                          • Jun 5, 2008

It's that time of year again folks, Vincent would have been 106 today. Take a break from cook-outs, war films, and parades by enjoying a Price film. I'm going to be watching some Egghead episodes and Corman gems.

Comment

• Hedji
                            Citizen of Gotham
                            • Nov 17, 2012

I make our family calendar through Walgreen's, which allows you to add photos to the squares for birthdays, etc... I get giddy when I see the block of Peter Cushing(yesterday), next too Christopher Lee and Vincent Price (today). Also fun to see Mark Hamill and Christopher Reeve on the same birthday, and Roddy McDowall/Elvira, as well as Harrison Ford/Patrick Stewart.

Comment

• TheNewGiJoeWithKungFuGrip
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jun 18, 2015

Vincent Price had one of the most legendary voices ever. Happy Birthday, Vincent!
                              The hands that grip.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎