X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CrimsonGhost
    Often invisible
    • Jul 18, 2002

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
    Cap has had his backstory monkeyed with before, particularly in a 70s story by Don Glut I believe. Nothing tawdry at all, but Roger Stern and John Byrne saw fit to explain the changes away as lies during their run. That's probably what's going to happen here.
    I think that's guaranteed to happen eventually.

Do you really think this blew up in their faces or do you think the anger and hype is exactly what they were looking for? This is clearly designed to get people angry and from what I've read, this has been in the works since 2014 so they had to know what the reaction was going to be.
    Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• knight errant00
      8 Inch Action Figure
      • Nov 15, 2005

Originally posted by CrimsonGhost
      I think that's guaranteed to happen eventually.

Do you really think this blew up in their faces or do you think the anger and hype is exactly what they were looking for? This is clearly designed to get people angry and from what I've read, this has been in the works since 2014 so they had to know what the reaction was going to be.
      It's either a matter of the creator and editorial team thinking they're cooler and more clever than the really are. OR it's a "New Coke" ploy, where they rolled it out to make a change and get attention, with the idea that if it goes bad they'll have the "it was all a dream" defense in their back pocket and maybe an incremental move toward something they want but might have seemed too controversial if they hadn't first dashed clear over the line by a quarter mile.
      Last edited by knight errant00; May 27, '16, 10:20 AM.

Comment

• Hedji
        Citizen of Gotham
        • Nov 17, 2012

I have no horse in the race, as long as it doesn't affect the MCU which has a good thing going. The films have their storytelling act together.

Comment

• hedrap
          Permanent Member
          • Feb 10, 2009

Starroid's last post is dead-on and it ties into what Chris/Crimson/Knight are debating. When you read anything from Spencer, it's obvious he's more interested in the attention than the writing. Guy is a blight. He's dying to be Mark Millar. Ugh

Hue - we're simply seeing it from different angles. You're right in that the industry has it hucksters - Millar is the poster boy- but at least with them, I can see the argument for decisions they've made.

For example, a lot here are saying this Cap story is a great What If. I see it as they way they should have gone with Ultimate Cap. But the motivation behind Ultimates was to streamline and storyboard Marvel for studio execs. Everything else said at time - Ultimates will always be separate from MCU - was BS. In that light, I see Cap like Starroid said; a desperate attempt to gin up sales and they had to use a known quantity. It's Shock Marketing.

But...sales are secondary thanks to Disney. So why do it? Especially coming off all the Civil War goodwill. The movies are supposed to draw new readers and here they are with a storyline that's directly contradicting everything. Movie-first people are going to scoff at Hydra Cap as worth the time as it screams gimmick.

Now...add-in how this was supposedly hatched in 2014. Then, how Fiege almost quit Marvel over the Creative Committee's involvement in Civil War. CC is/was the comic arm. Makes me wonder: Did the Creative Committee want to change movie Civil War so we all think Bucky is the last Super Soldier of Hydra...and then Cap pushes him out of the plane. That draws all the attention to the new Cap comic to provide answers, and actually ties into the AoS Hydra storylines that were being produced at the time.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
            Verbose Member
            • Mar 7, 2004

It did get attention. But did it get SALES? If it didn't goose sales, then I doubt it was worth the attention.

This week, DC released a book that is supposedly putting the comics in the right direction. Geoff Johns is talking hope and optimism in the comics and films.

A few weeks back, when Civil War hit, there were many articles saying Cap had replaced Superman as our symbol of hope and justice. And then Marvel did this.

So for the first time in a long time, DC is ahead of Marvel in the popularity department.
            sigpic

Comment

• huedell
              Museum Ball Eater
              • Dec 31, 2003

that was weird---a double-post---musta been my computer messing up!!!!!
              Last edited by huedell; May 27, '16, 7:42 PM.
              "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• huedell
                Museum Ball Eater
                • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                A few weeks back, when Civil War hit, there were many articles saying Cap had replaced Superman as our symbol of hope and justice. And then Marvel did this.

So for the first time in a long time, DC is ahead of Marvel in the popularity department.
                Is that really the situation?

I was thinking this kind of thing was the proverbial "blip" on the majorities radar.

I would think that this "unpopular" attitude is popping up in quite limited circles.... only applying to groups like us (the hardcore comicbook heads) who will actually pay more than a passing glance at a headline announcing this (or ANY given) new turn in the comics.

I'd think the majority of movie-goers wouldn't think like this... no substantial investment as far as the characters as they are portrayed in the comics and their odd-ball tangents, right?

Add to that, that although the tight Civil War movie made BvS look like the convoluted inappropriate mess that it WAS, and also adding that although BvS's Superman character appeared nowhere NEAR having the hope/justice persona compared to the similarly woven character of Cap as he appeared in Civil War---- CW DID have Cap "buck" the government that spawned him---not a Hydra agent by any length, but definitely not the same brand of wholesome "hope/justice" persona he sported in MCU before the decision not to sign that accords thing.

Food for thought.

That said: ...if that kind of article was truly reflective of the greater populace---the ones that are the MCU moviegoers alone---as opposed to the "comicbook devoted" (who are a smaller fraction of the MCU audience)---- well, then I'm barking up the wrong tree. And, if so, I'm surprised if this is the case... but I may be underestimating the impact of modern comics in the scheme of things that dictate "who is ahead overall" in the Marvel Vs. DC war for the hearts of the world.
                "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• knight errant00
                  8 Inch Action Figure
                  • Nov 15, 2005

I think this sums up a lot of people's feelings pretty well. Thanks, "King"!

No.jpg
                  Last edited by knight errant00; May 28, '16, 10:48 AM.

Comment

• ODBJBG
                    Permanent Member
                    • May 15, 2009

I hope no one takes offense to this, but I am amused at people who admit to have not read/bought a modern comic is 30 years, are outraged at this.

You have no idea what Cap or anyone is doing on a monthly basis, so had this not been a news "story", you wouldn't have known.

Comment

• torgospizza
                      Theocrat of Pan Tang
                      • Aug 19, 2010

That Daily Beast article really does show the writer is in full-on huckster-mode, as someone suggested. I'm not going to go into which parts made me think this, but the guy's either 1) full of crap or 2) utterly clueless about fans. Personally, I think it's going to be some sort of switcheroo or something, because I saw a page posted on FB yesterday in which the Red Skull sounded like a paleocon, as opposed to a NatSoc/fascist. I mean, what he was saying wouldn't have been shocking if it had come from JFK, f.ex. This just makes me think it is a mind game Marvel's playing.

If the story's ever released in TPB, I'll check it out. I'd at least like to see for myself what the truth of the matter is.

Comment

• kept back
                        Persistent Member
                        • Aug 2, 2002

I didn't realize DiDio was EiC at Marvel now.
                        Of all the souls I have encountered his was the most...human.

Comment

• Hector
                          el Hombre de Acero
                          • May 19, 2003

This is what Chris Evans thinks of this...

sigpic

Comment

• knight errant00
                            8 Inch Action Figure
                            • Nov 15, 2005

Cap v Cap.jpg

Yes.

Comment

• phil
                              Persistent Member
                              • May 11, 2007

I don't read current comics so every time a story like this happens it makes me glad I don't. This sort of crap always seems more like a publicity stunt than valid story telling or character development. It also always works as a publicity stunt at least as far as getting attention goes. It's pathetic!

If this stupid story line was accepted I'd hate to see what was rejected.

Like all the others publicity stunt story lines it will be undone eventually in some way and the character returned to normal.

At least it's not likely to effect the movie version of Captain America.

Comment

• huedell
                                Museum Ball Eater
                                • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by ODBJBG
                                I hope no one takes offense to this, but I am amused at people who admit to have not read/bought a modern comic is 30 years, are outraged at this.

You have no idea what Cap or anyone is doing on a monthly basis, so had this not been a news "story", you wouldn't have known.
                                ^^^quoted for truth--- and I'll add to the: "...people who admit to have not read/bought a modern comic is 30 years..." part, THIS: "...most people everywhere (i.e. the bulk of the mainstream movie-going people who have made the MCU successful for, like, a decade)..."

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎