X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jasonmego1277
    Persistent Member
    • Dec 9, 2008

Has anyone put a retro action head on Doc Mego Body

Hi everyone, it's been a long time since I have been around since I have had so many changes in life, but I am back and collecting again. I am collecting the retro action and figures toy company reissues. I have a question though.... Has anyone successfully transferred the retro action head to a doc Mego body and was it difficult to boil it soft and pop it off? I'm sure this has been discussed but since I've been away so long I wanted to just ask! Glad to be back.... I have a lot catching up with the collection.
    In The " Real World " Vampires Do Not Sparkle. They Burn In the Sun !

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131475...57650995605142
  • EMCE Hammer
    Moderation Engineer
    • Aug 14, 2003

There's a little plastic piece glued into the neckplug that makes the boil and pop method a little tricky. I have had success boiling for several minutes so that the glue on the plastic piece gives way and then carefully pulling the head from the torso. It's really easy to tear the plug, and a lot of folks just put the torso in a vice or pliers and crack it open.

Comment

• jasonmego1277
      Persistent Member
      • Dec 9, 2008

Cool thanks! Do they fit in the plug hole on the Doc Mego bodies?
      In The " Real World " Vampires Do Not Sparkle. They Burn In the Sun !

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131475...57650995605142

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
        Moderation Engineer
        • Aug 14, 2003

Originally posted by jasonmego1277
        Cool thanks! Do they fit in the plug hole on the Doc Mego bodies?
        I haven't done them all, but I haven't had any issues. I've converted all the GLs and GA among others.

Comment

• Makernaut
          Persistent Member
          • Jul 22, 2015

Originally posted by EMCE Hammer
          It's really easy to tear the plug, and a lot of folks just put the torso in a vice or pliers and crack it open.
          I did the torso-destruct method so as not to tear the plug and every transfer I did worked out well. No issues with the head fitting and I have used Doc Mego and Castaway bodies. I did boil-and-pop the hands from Mattel to other bodies and they transfer well, too. Costumes seemed to be alright for the most part. Be careful of chest emblems on the Mattel costumes because they crack and can look awful. The only real failure for me was Aquaman's costume fits way too tight. Fit-wise, it looks terrible, especially in the back.

Comment

• Majere
            Banned
            • Apr 17, 2016

Originally posted by Makernaut
            I did the torso-destruct method so as not to tear the plug and every transfer I did worked out well. No issues with the head fitting and I have used Doc Mego and Castaway bodies. I did boil-and-pop the hands from Mattel to other bodies and they transfer well, too. Costumes seemed to be alright for the most part. Be careful of chest emblems on the Mattel costumes because they crack and can look awful. The only real failure for me was Aquaman's costume fits way too tight. Fit-wise, it looks terrible, especially in the back.
            Are the Doc Mego and Castaway bodies better quality than FTC's bodies?

And I'm assuming if Aquaman's costume is ill-fitting on a Doc Mego body, it doesn't have a prayer fitting a type-S?

Comment

• Makernaut
              Persistent Member
              • Jul 22, 2015

Originally posted by Majere
              Are the Doc Mego and Castaway bodies better quality than FTC's bodies?

And I'm assuming if Aquaman's costume is ill-fitting on a Doc Mego body, it doesn't have a prayer fitting a type-S?
              I haven't used an FTC body in years, so I don't know what their quality is these days. Several years back, they didn't live up to what I expected so I got stuff from Doc. I think what I was calling "Castaway Bodies" might not be strictly correct terminology but others here can clear this up. They were the swivel arm bodies that Doc was selling and I bought them for about $5 each. It was a deal he had where I think it was 20 for $100. I noticed Doc still sells a body very similar to those for $5 each but there are screws in the ones he has now (it says to keep chest from splitting) and the ones I bought did not have the screws. Otherwise, it looks just like the ones I bought years ago. At any rate, Doc's Mego style body and the swivel arm body were far superior to FTC bodies when I was transferring my Retro Actions from the Mattel body and that may (or may not) still be the case today.

I haven't got around to trying a type-S body, at this point, so I can't speak as to the fit of costumes on them.
              Last edited by Makernaut; May 26, '16, 10:19 AM.

Comment

• megocrazy
                Museum Trouble Maker
                • Feb 18, 2007

If you hot water soak the head you can loosen the neck plug. If you let it cool before attempting to remove it, it greatly reduces tearing the head. This is only if you care about saving the body. If not dremel cut it to pieces. Its quicker. I've put every male figure onto Doc's body with no issues.
                It's not a doll it's an action figure.

Comment

• jayraytee
                  Career Member
                  • May 27, 2011

I destroyed those horrible mattel bodies, took the head, hands and costume and put them all on type S and they work great. I think with the hands I had to put some tape or something around the plug so it wouldn't be too loose. My only complaint about the Type S really is that it is almost too poseable, the elbows and knees can swivel completely around. I'd rather have the knees and elbows not be able to swivel or at least have a limit by how far they can.
                  My posts were needlessly deleted ...

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎