X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mego Magyar
    Permanent Member
    • Jan 17, 2011

X-men Apocalypse -spoiler free impressions

Watched a bootleg cam copy of X-men Apocalypse today, not a bad movie. If you like Future Past you will like this. The characters are handled well and the movie moves at a good pace.
  • Bruce Banner
    HULK SMASH!
    • Apr 3, 2010

Saw a 2D showing at the weekend... Yeah I agree, if you enjoyed Days of Future Past, you'll enjoy this latest entry in the Singer X-Men universe.

Young Storm is pretty cool, and I like the new actor as Nightcrawler more than Alan Cumming.

I will say this... they have absolutely nailed the look of Psylocke in this movie!

Oscar Isaac as Apocalypse is suitably villainous and charismatic, but I really wish they'd have gone for a look more akin to the massive, imposing form of the comic book version of the character.

Some great action set pieces, as always.

Yeah... it'll make money and Fox will retain the rights and continue making X-Men movies.
    PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Gorn Captain
      Invincible Ironing Man
      • Feb 28, 2008

Not bad, but not impressive.
      The movie lacks some "cohesion", needed a tighter script, and not "one action scene after the other". Many fond nods to characters and moments in the comic book, but they're a bit flat.
      There's a segment at the end of the credits, introducing another fan favorite.
      Nightcrawler, my favorite, is ok, but I still dislike the skin hieroglyphs, and the red leather jacket always made me think "he's going to start singing Thriller anytime now".
      And yes, Apocalypse needed someone who was more impressive (visually).

The movie ends with the message "this movie provided work for 15,000 people", hoping people will look beyond Singer's legal problems, I guess, and not let the whole X-crew down...
      "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• Bruce Banner
        HULK SMASH!
        • Apr 3, 2010

The ending of the movie did make me smile, and gave me hope that we might see the next few films portraying the X-Men in a manner closer to what we grew up with in the comics.

And make sure to stay until the very end of the credits for a brief coda setting up the next standalone film of a certain popular character.
        PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• madmarva
          Talkative Member
          • Jul 7, 2007

The parts are greater than the whole. Lots of exposition and monlogging. Excellent effects but the movie is kind of boring. Probably Jennifer Lawrence's worst performance. My nerd nitpick is the actress from Game of Thrones isn't nearly pretty enough to play Jean Grey.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
            Eloquent Member
            • Jan 19, 2008

Originally posted by madmarva
            The parts are greater than the whole. Lots of exposition and monlogging. Excellent effects but the movie is kind of boring. Probably Jennifer Lawrence's worst performance. My nerd nitpick is the actress from Game of Thrones isn't nearly pretty enough to play Jean Grey.
            That's exactly how I feel. Exactly!

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
              Verbose Member
              • Mar 7, 2004

Will probably see it at the local theater this weekend. I figure it's worth $5.

Chris
              sigpic

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                Verbose Member
                • Mar 7, 2004

Saw it today and enjoyed it. A bit gruesome in parts, so parents beware a bit. You can see it coming for the most part, so I shielded my daughter's eyes. I wouldn't recommend taking kids under 8 or so, but your mileage may vary.

Not a huge X-Men guy, but I've found something in each film I've enjoyed (yes, even X3 and the Wolverine films). This isn't up the level of First Class or Days of Future Past, but if you liked those films, it's worth your time. Fassbender and MacAvoy give great performances as always, and the new kids were good. I can kind of see the point of view that Jennifer Lawrence wasn't fully engaged.

Chris
                sigpic

Comment

• daz71
                  Persistent Member
                  • Jul 19, 2014

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                  Will probably see it at the local theater this weekend. I figure it's worth $5.

Chris
                  it's £10 over here that's why i never see them in the cinema.

Comment

• phil
                    Persistent Member
                    • May 11, 2007

Since this is spoiler free could someone please send me a message explaining the significance of the post credits scene?

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                      HULK SMASH!
                      • Apr 3, 2010

Fans of vintage Metallica will also enjoy a certain scene.
                      PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Hector
                        el Hombre de Acero
                        • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by madmarva
                        ...and Famke "Neaderthal forehead" Janssen was?

...and I know you weren't talking about Game of Thrones Emilia Clarke...
                        sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                          el Hombre de Acero
                          • May 19, 2003

Just kidding...they are all fine looking women in my eyes...

sigpic

Comment

• kept back
                            Persistent Member
                            • Aug 2, 2002

Does a woman pretty enough to be Jean Gray actually exist?
                            Of all the souls I have encountered his was the most...human.

Comment

• emeraldknight47
                              Talkative Member
                              • Jun 20, 2011

Originally posted by kept back
                              Does a woman pretty enough to be Jean Gray actually exist?
                              Personally, I haven't seen one yet! I think she would have to be bred in a lab to capture the essence of Jean Gray.
                              sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎