X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kept back
    Persistent Member
    • Aug 2, 2002

So, uhm...Rebirth...*SPOILERS*

Anyone check out the leaked Rebirth #1? And if so, what are your thoughts?

I'm terribly worried that I may have to start buying DC stuff again.

The return of...

last chance to look away...

Wally West alone is enough to peak my interest. Add in Ted Kord and the reveal of the big bad...

Johns may be on his A game with this.
    Last edited by kept back; May 22, '16, 2:01 PM.
    Of all the souls I have encountered his was the most...human.
  • Blue Meanie
    Banned
    • Jun 23, 2001

Originally posted by kept back
    Anyone check out the leaked Rebirth #1? And if so, what are your thoughts?

I'm terribly worried that I may have to start buying DC stuff again.
    I heard something about DC bringing back the JSA? Is that true? If it is true is it the classic JSA/All Star Squadron or is it that piece of junk series they offered in the New 52?

Comment

• palitoy
      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
      • Jun 16, 2001

I've read one spoiler.

S
      P
      O
      I
      L
      E
      R

It's being postulated that the entire Nu52 Universe was the creation of Doctor Manhatten and that the Watchmen are now part of this rebirth universe. I think the first part is clever but the second part is cheap and tawdry.
      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• kept back
        Persistent Member
        • Aug 2, 2002

The first intro we get is classic Titans/Kid Flash Wally West. Ted Kord shows up interacting with Jamie Reyes. Classic JSA is heavily implied to be on the horizon.

And the Big Bad? The guy responsible for all the dark and dreary tone in comics? The dastardly...

Dr. Manhattan from Watchmen. Which, if you look at Watchmen as the beginning of the "grim and gritty" approach in comics, makes sense.

Comment

• kept back
          Persistent Member
          • Aug 2, 2002

Comment

• hedrap
            Permanent Member
            • Feb 10, 2009

If Watchmen is just another Justice Lords/Bearded Spock gag...dead in months. I have zero interest in a "JLA v Watchmen" mini-series.

But...if they make The Watchmen the gods of a superhero universe, like Mount Olympus in Clash of The Titans, and the DCU characters are the Hercules, Perseus, Odysseus, Argonauts...they can revolutionize the entire brand and will kick Marvel's ***.

They can't be equal. Watchmen have to stand above anything Marvel has even attempted with Beyonder or Celestials. Imagine Joker killing someone in a sacrifice to Comedian, while he looks act at the DCU as bizarre amusement for him to screw with.

Comment

• The Toyroom
              The Packaging King
              • Dec 31, 2004

I'm definitely intrigued. I think DC has no choice but to pull out all stops and get their house in order. They won't get another chance after this if it fails...
              Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• johnnystorm
                Hot Child in the City
                • Jul 3, 2008

If real JSA comes back I'm in. I read a little bit of the Lois & Clark book, and it wasn't bad.

Comment

• emeraldknight47
                  Talkative Member
                  • Jun 20, 2011

Entertaining idea considering that Dr. Manhattan was basically a step down from God pretty much. It will be interesting to see if they explain the circumstances that made Dr. Manhattan create the Nu52 Universe (and all those Nehru collars). Has anyone heard if Alan Moore has any thoughts on this...?
                  sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                    Verbose Member
                    • Mar 7, 2004

^It's a guarantee he's indifferent to it...but also hates it.

I don't hate this idea. From what I've seen of solicitations, we're still going to be in the New 52 universe, with some adjustments, like the Pre-Flashpoint Superman taking over. But who knows, maybe some of that was just smoke and mirrors for the real deal.

Chris
                    sigpic

Comment

• PNGwynne
                      Master of Fowl Play
                      • Jun 5, 2008

I imagine Mo0re is apoplectic, considering his past utterances about DC.

The Dr. Manhattan angle is clever--perhaps too much so. But incorporating the Watchmen into the DCU is problematic/unnecessary to me.
                      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• hedrap
                        Permanent Member
                        • Feb 10, 2009

After spending an inordinate amount of time studying how Moore's position has altered, where he really stands on the superhero concept, etc...I'd bet Johns/Dido offered it to him, Moore turned it down thinking they won't do it due to Before Watchmen's tanking, but they did, and now he's aggravated as all hell he passed.

Moore's obstinate like an old-school punk rocker. He's freaked at losing his credibility and being called a hypocrite so he boxes himself in to immovable positions. Rebuilding one of the big two is the perfect job for him, except he's his own worse enemy.

I hope this works. It would be great splintered into DCU two universes. One descending from the Silver Age, the other the progeny of the Watchmen.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                          Master of Fowl Play
                          • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by hedrap
                          splintered into DCU two universes. One descending from the Silver Age, the other the progeny of the Watchmen.
                          Put as you suggest, interesting. But wouldn't the DCU proper just be pawns? The Watchmen would become like the New Gods concept, or an alternate earth?
                          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• hedrap
                            Permanent Member
                            • Feb 10, 2009

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                            Put as you suggest, interesting. But wouldn't the DCU proper just be pawns? The Watchmen would become like the New Gods concept, or an alternate earth?
                            That's the problem, isn't it? How do you make something even more above. i'm just really intrigued by the idea of the gods of superheroes.

Comment

• palitoy
                              live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                              • Jun 16, 2001

To me, every time you use the Watchmen they become less special.
                              Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                              http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎