X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nostalgiabuff
    Muddling through
    • Oct 4, 2008

Finally watched Trank's Fantastic Four

Finally got around to watching this on HBO. I did not think it was as bad as everyone said it was. Not a great movie by any means, and a horrible version of the comic book. but, if you watch it for what it is, it's not quite so bad. It really was made as more of a science fiction adventure than as a comic book movie. they strayed so far from the source material as to make it almost unrecognizable. Doom's powers and look were goofy as hell

I doubt I would watch it again but it was worth sitting through once. if nothing else Kate Mara is very easy on the eyes
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

I tried on a plane but the dialogue drove me batty and I didn't like Reed. It's now in regular rotation on my movie channel so it's going to get another pass, just wish they had done it right.
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• drquest
      ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
      • Apr 17, 2012

I watched it last week for the first time as well, HBO has it on. I agree, not horrible, but it didn't have to be the Fantastic Four, could have been any generic superhero movie without tainting Marvel's founding 4.
      Danny(Drquest)
      Captain Action HQ
      Retro shirts and stuff
      More retro shirts
      Stuff For Sale

Comment

• Mr.Marion
        Permanent Member
        • Sep 15, 2014

The bar is set so high now with films like Civil War and X-Men apocalypse coming out next week. Ignoring the Source material was unacceptable in 2015 , if it was 1996 maybe. FF wasn't battlefield Earth bad but very ho hum. With what it costs to take a family to the movies $40 after popcorn and pops I can't see many people leaving satisfied. Watching it for free on cable will make people less critical.

Comment

• hedrap
          Permanent Member
          • Feb 10, 2009

OK. Come on. You guys are trying to find a way to compliment by saying it's ok for something it's not. That's like saying a Chik-Fil-A sandwich is an ok burger because it's on a bun with condiments.

Marion - very good point about cable costs diluting criticism.

Trank's FF would have made a great Challengers of The Unknown for CW.

Comment

• emeraldknight47
            Talkative Member
            • Jun 20, 2011

Still haven't seen it, but from the trailers for it, I definitely got a stronger "CHRONICLE" vibe with costlier technology, quasi-costumes and no "found footage" feel. It likely would have been an OK movie had it NOT been an attempt to steer the FANTASTIC FOUR into "dark and gritty" territory or if it had never been called FANT4STIC at all. Still hoping and praying that someday, the FF have their own MCU "Homecoming."
            sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
              Muddling through
              • Oct 4, 2008

Originally posted by palitoy
              I tried on a plane but the dialogue drove me batty and I didn't like Reed. It's now in regular rotation on my movie channel so it's going to get another pass, just wish they had done it right.
              agreed. I also did not like that they made Reed a coward. setting it up where they are all basically kids was a dumb idea to begin with.

and yes Marion, watching for free on cable with a beer in my hand definitely diluted the opinion, LOL

Comment

• thunderbolt
                Hi Ernie!!!
                • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by emeraldknight47
                Still haven't seen it, but from the trailers for it, I definitely got a stronger "CHRONICLE" vibe with costlier technology, quasi-costumes and no "found footage" feel. It likely would have been an OK movie had it NOT been an attempt to steer the FANTASTIC FOUR into "dark and gritty" territory or if it had never been called FANT4STIC at all. Still hoping and praying that someday, the FF have their own MCU "Homecoming."
                wasn't it allegedly a Chronicle 2 rework?
                You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• The Bat
                  Batman Fanatic
                  • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by hedrap
                  OK. Come on. You guys are trying to find a way to compliment by saying it's ok for something it's not. That's like saying a Chik-Fil-A sandwich is an ok burger because it's on a bun with condiments.
                  Totally agree...you can coat a turd in chocolate...but it's still a turd.
                  sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                    el Hombre de Acero
                    • May 19, 2003

FF reminded me a little bit of The Fly. I'm sure that was the intention, especially since Trank himself have said that he's a big Cronenberg fan.
                    sigpic

Comment

• Gadgeteer
                      Veteran Member
                      • Apr 16, 2014

I keep trying to watch it and every time I fall asleep.
                      sigpic

Comment

• emeraldknight47
                        Talkative Member
                        • Jun 20, 2011

OK. Just finished watching it and I really only have one word: NO. This is NOT the FF in any way, shape or form except maybe in someone's fever dreams. The entire movie felt disjointed and disconnected. There was no true unity between the characters and the writers evidently never sat down and read even a shred of Lee's, Thomas's, Wein's, Wolfman's or Byrne's Doom because he is just so utterly, utterly wrong. I actually enjoyed CHRONICLE and have watched it several times. It deals with very similar subject matter, but is a movie which is easily ten times better than FANT4TASTIC. Even if I see it for a dollar at a yard sale, it's a movie which will never join my collection.
                        sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• Mego Milk
                          Custom Mego Maker
                          • Jun 3, 2007

HA!

I watched it!
                          and...
                          I loved it!

BAM!

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                            Invincible Ironing Man
                            • Feb 28, 2008

If they're trying to permanently end the FF franchise, they're doing a fine job.
                            "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎