X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hedrap
    Permanent Member
    • Feb 10, 2009

The Rock as Doc Savage

...just more tinder to the smoldering Shazam project...

• PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

Meh: He's about as appropriate for Doc Savage as Schwarzenegger would have been.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• palitoy
      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
      • Jun 16, 2001

Is he Hollywood's only muscly guy?
      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• PNGwynne
        Master of Fowl Play
        • Jun 5, 2008

The more I think about this, the more I'm reminded of Nick Cage nearly becoming Superman. Good grief.

I'm 99% sure classic Doc Savage can't be made into a good modern movie. I admit to being both biased and curmudgeonly about it.
        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Joshua the Atomic Robot
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 14, 2012

I think the Rock would be great as Doc Savage, especially with Shane Black writing and directing. It is hard to imagine Doc Savage working as a film series in the 21st century, but I'd like to see them try.

Comment

• johnnystorm
            Hot Child in the City
            • Jul 3, 2008

He's in too much stuff...surely there is another wrestler or mma guy with some acting ability? And I'd almost bet you'll see Ronda Rousy cast as Pat Savage?
            And I agree with PNGwynn, Doc is a movie that's impossible to do right, just as a comic book version is (at least today). Like the Spirit. If you update it it doesn't work, and if you leqve it in the correct time period it offends people with no sense of history. So they make it all pc and it becomes something else.

Comment

• sprytel
              Talkative Member
              • Jun 26, 2009

He is a good actor, and can come portray both brawny and brainy (for example, in HBO's Ballers). Plus, he is a charismatic dude that can open a movie. With a good script, I think this could work.

Comment

• GlobalObserver
                Persistent Member
                • Aug 12, 2004

I've been a HUGE Doc Savage fan for about 45 years.

I have ZERO interest in seeing Dwayne Johnson in the role.

I guess Hulk Hogan wasn't available.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                  Master of Fowl Play
                  • Jun 5, 2008

I'm not hating on Johnson any more that I do Momoa--which is to say, not at all. I just think some of these market-driven casting choices are poor.

Comment

• phil
                    Persistent Member
                    • May 11, 2007

I am a big Doc Savage and I don't have a problem with Dwayne. I just don't want him to play Doc Savage. I do understand why Hollywood would have a different opinion.

Comment

• Marvelmania
                      A Ray of Sunshine
                      • Jun 17, 2001

I love Doc savage and think Johnson would do a great job but he is all over the place right now. I haven't seen Momoa in anything that I enjoyed. IMO he just doesn't have the personality appeal to attract a lot of movie goers. It would be nice to see some fresh blood in a superhero movie. I enjoyed seeing Brandon Routh as Superman and was disappointed that SR didn't do as well as it did.

Comment

• knight errant00
                        8 Inch Action Figure
                        • Nov 15, 2005

Originally posted by Marvelmania
                        I enjoyed seeing Brandon Routh as Superman and was disappointed that SR didn't do as well as it did.
                        Since you brought him up, Routh would make an interesting Doc.

The problem is, these day everyone so focuses on Doc being this giant slab of muscle. His descriptions are all over the place in the books -- 6' 4" to 6' 10" -- but they are usually pretty consistent that Doc doesn't appear that big at first because he's so splendidly proportioned he doesn't appear like a "big guy". Someone with a build like Henry Cavil is about as big as I'd like to see Doc go. Heck, in the 60s they were going to do a TV move/series with Chuck Connors as Doc . . .

Comment

• Marvelmania
                          A Ray of Sunshine
                          • Jun 17, 2001

I really enjoyed the Ron Ely 70's Doc Savage

Comment

• GlobalObserver
                            Persistent Member
                            • Aug 12, 2004

It's been officially confirmed.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                              Master of Fowl Play
                              • Jun 5, 2008

Ugh, that's just awful IMO. Are they modernizing the setting?

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎