X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

Disney Infinity cancelled

Was shocked to hear this on the Skywalking Through Neverland podcast. Infinity was the leading toy/game out there, so it seems really odd that Disney pulled the plug. Seems they are shutting down their internal gaming division period. Some Alice Through the Looking Glass figures and a Finding Dory playset are making it out...but that's it. So no Dr. Strange or Rogue One. And worse yet, a lot of talented people out of work.

Bah.

Fun-Filled Family Friendly Podcast Network

Chris
    sigpic
  • EMCE Hammer
    Moderation Engineer
    • Aug 14, 2003

Good grief. We almost took the plunge, so glad we didn't.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

My kids have all three versions and we all enjoyed it. They don't have every figure, but they have a good selection.

It was really a fun and innovative game. My 8 year old and 14 year old enjoyed it equally, and could play it together, much like the Lego games.

Chris
      sigpic

Comment

• enyawd72
        Maker of Monsters!
        • Oct 1, 2009

I noticed a week ago that Wal-Mart had all the figures, even brand new ones marked down to $5 on clearance. Apparently they already knew something the rest of us didn't.

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
          Moderation Engineer
          • Aug 14, 2003

Shoot - I would have liked to have gotten some of the SW Rebels stuff just for the figures to display on my kids' shelves.

Come to think of it, the whole Dimensions display at my local Meijer has been blocked by a stack of skids for two weeks.

Comment

• 4NDR01D
            Alpha Centauri....OR DIE!
            • Jan 22, 2008

Originally posted by enyawd72
            I noticed a week ago that Wal-Mart had all the figures, even brand new ones marked down to $5 on clearance. Apparently they already knew something the rest of us didn't.
            I'd probably buy them for display at that price.

Comment

• drquest
              ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
              • Apr 17, 2012

It seems odd that Disney just didn't sell their gaming division off rather than close it.
              Danny(Drquest)
              Captain Action HQ
              Retro shirts and stuff
              More retro shirts
              Stuff For Sale

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                Verbose Member
                • Mar 7, 2004

Apparently they overproduced some of the 2.0 figures, after UNDER producing some of the 1.0 figures. But I don't think that was enough for them to cancel it.

I saw the old starter sets and figures marked down a while back, but never the current ones. I'll have to keep an eye out.

Chris
                sigpic

Comment

• Werewolf
                  Inhuman
                  • Jul 14, 2003

Kind of a bummer. From what I've read they were finally going to update it and let any character be used in any playset. Which is something fans had been requesting since the beginning.

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                  Apparently they overproduced some of the 2.0 figures, after UNDER producing some of the 1.0 figures.
                  That's exactly what did them in. The game sold well enough and was still the top selling of the toys to life genre. They just unfortunately managed the production numbers of the figures poorly.

Yondu sold especially poorly.
                  You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                    Verbose Member
                    • Mar 7, 2004

^Yeah, if you listen to the episode, they talk about making every character playable in any world, and even releasing large 12" figures that worked with the game.

Their character selection was a bit off. No Goofy or Little Mermaid...but Yondu?

Chris
                    sigpic

Comment

• Godzilla
                      Permanent Member
                      • Nov 3, 2002

My kids were disappointed to hear the news. They liked the games but never loved them.
                      Mortui Vivos Docent
                      The Dead Teach the Living

Comment

• Werewolf
                        Inhuman
                        • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                        Their character selection was a bit off. No Goofy or Little Mermaid...but Yondu?
                        I agree. A lot of their choices and ideas for the game made little sense. I mean, Lone Ranger got a playset but Frozen didn't. What genius decided that? Not having a Sugar Rush playset when Wreck it Ralph came out was also a huge missed opportunity. All the popular classic Disney characters and Princesses were stuck in the toy box and you couldn't do much with them.
                        You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                          Verbose Member
                          • Mar 7, 2004

^The Lone Ranger set did help make up for the god-awful movie, though. That was a fun playset. But yeah, not really earned.

Chris
                          sigpic

Comment

• megomania
                            Persistent Member
                            • Jan 2, 2010

Originally posted by EMCE Hammer
                            Good grief. We almost took the plunge, so glad we didn't.
                            Same here. Wife bought our son a bunch of Infinity stuff for Xmas. Fortunately we bought him too much crap, never wrapped it, and returned it ASAFP.

-Chris

Comment

• Spyweb007
                              Persistent Member
                              • Apr 18, 2006

The Disney Infinity games are pretty cool, the cancelation of the series doesn't really hurt the fun factor of the games that have already been released, and there's plenty of variety with the game sets and figures that are already out there. Anything new probably would have required a whole new Starter set "Version 4.0" anyway. Might be a good time to catch up if the games and figures start to go on clearance.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎