Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

Not a fan of sardines but I do like canned Spanish mussels in red sauce.

Comment

• enyawd72
      Maker of Monsters!
      • Oct 1, 2009

Love them in mustard sauce...I eat 'em straight out of the can with a fork.

Comment

• PNGwynne
        Master of Fowl Play
        • Jun 5, 2008

I have been trying different supermarket brands, I don't have quick access to the better-rated European brands. I have a pasta dish with capers and lemon that requires sardines, I make that about once a month and other wise eat them with crackers or added to shrimp raman noodles as a quick meal.

I always buy the larger, meatier ones pack on olive oil. The two I really like are:

*Wild Planet in olive oil, lightly smoked (also with lemon). Packed in Thailand.

*King Oscar skinless and boneless in olive oil. Packed in Morrocco. These have neen a pleasant surprise compared to some other King Oscar ones I tried.

Anyone tried them with pasta and red sauce? Just saw that recipe on TV.
        Last edited by PNGwynne; May 23, '20, 3:41 PM.
        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• ToyTalk
          Career Member
          • Mar 25, 2020

Originally posted by PNGwynne
          I appreciate the advice, though I don't have access to Trader Joes.

I like almost all seafood and many canned kinds, as well as herring and anchovies. I guess my moniker here is apt.
          What good is a forum of folks if we can't help each other. Although the idea of eating sardines makes my belly rumble (not in a good way, LOL), there is a Trader Joes very close to me. If you want I can send the anything you want from there.
          Looking for FTC figures from 5-10 years ago

Comment

• PNGwynne
            Master of Fowl Play
            • Jun 5, 2008

Thanks! But really I'm just lazy and like to shop in real time. locally. I could order from Amazon, but they're almost up with FB in my opinion lol.

The closest TJs to me are in Cleveland suburbs, you're lucky to have one close.
            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• ToyTalk
              Career Member
              • Mar 25, 2020

We don't go there but once or twice a year. My wife has a few local markets in downtown Columbus and Westerville that she prefers. I'm in Pickerington so there is not much that isn't around us. We are mostly home bodies. LOL.
              Looking for FTC figures from 5-10 years ago

Comment

• RonnyG
                Career Member
                • Apr 23, 2014

I get a craving for them every once in a while. I started eating them years ago because I heard they were good for your skin. I just eat them straight out of the can. I prefer the thin skinny sardines instead of the big meaty ones. lol Chicken of the Sea makes some in oil, and lightly smoked for only a dollar. They're not skinny but they taste good and have a nice flavor. I once purchased a brand at the 99 cent store that were soaked in Tapatio sauce. I think it was crown prince? They were so hot my mouth was on fire! Even rinsing them off in water did not take the hotness a away. Now I know why they were on closeout.

Comment

• Mikey
                  Verbose Member
                  • Aug 9, 2001

Anybody ever try SURSTRÖMMING ?

Comment

• cjefferys
                    Duke of Gloat
                    • Apr 23, 2006

I like sardines, as a kid I used to eat them out of the can. The only thing I don't like is the spine, I have to take that out (it's too crunchy, and I'm picky about textures in food). Nowadays my wife coats them in panko and bakes them with garlic and some other ingredients, it tastes great. Sardines are very healthy for you, so I tried to eat some at least once a week.

Comment

• Confessional
                      Maker & Whatnot
                      • Aug 8, 2012

^^ That's a cool variation on Italian fried smelts; yum!

Comment

• PNGwynne
                        Master of Fowl Play
                        • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by Mikey
                        Anybody ever try SURSTRÖMMING ?
                        I like pickled herring, but that looks nauseating.

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                          Museum Paramedic
                          • Aug 31, 2005

I like them, plain.
                          Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎