Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

John Cho Says the New STAR TREK Movie feels like Best of TOS!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Bat
    Batman Fanatic
    • Jul 14, 2002

John Cho Says the New STAR TREK Movie feels like Best of TOS!

If we take John Cho's opinion that it does indeed have the feel of TOS...then I'll be very happy. I think the 5 year mission is a good way for a new Director to take it in his own direction(free of J.J. Abrams) and hopefully bring it closer to it's roots. Adding Simon Pegg as a co-writer was a good move...he's a long time TOS Star Trek fan.

sigpic
  • phil
    Persistent Member
    • May 11, 2007

After Into Darkness I'm done with the new Trek films. I have no interest in seeing it. I was willing to give it a chance but not after seeing the preview. No thank you.

Comment

• Brown Bear
      Still Old School
      • Feb 14, 2008

Nothing in the new preview made me wanna shell out cash to see it. Looks lame.
      Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• trekman101
        Persistent Member
        • Feb 6, 2009

I,m the biggest trek fan out there but I just want this version of trek to go away
        "Thats the ticket laddie"

Comment

• emeraldknight47
          Talkative Member
          • Jun 20, 2011

I've watched the newest trailer several times and while it may LOOK TREKish, the vibe I'm getting is anything but TREKish. The obnoxious, loud pop music and the sequences that look more like they belong in THE FAST AND THE FURIOUS franchise (hmmmm, why could that be?) are pretty much instant turn offs for me. I guess I'm too "old school," but TREK always struck me as being more of a thinking person's science fiction and this new trailer screams anything but that. The ONLY scene I've seen that I've chuckled at is the one with McCoy and Spock. I guess this is another film that I'll wait to watch on cable or until it's in the $7.99 bin at Wal-Mart....
          sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
            Verbose Member
            • Mar 7, 2004

It looks worth a viewing. I liked the first part of Into Darkness before Abrams decided to try to pull a fast one on us, and I liked the first one quite a bit.

Chris
            sigpic

Comment

• palitoy
              live. laugh. lisa needs braces
              • Jun 16, 2001

I loved the first one and was entertained by the second one despite it's terrible plot.

Will give this one a go. I like this cast, it's fun to like something with the name "Star Trek" again.
              Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
              http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• The Bat
                Batman Fanatic
                • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by palitoy
                I loved the first one and was entertained by the second one despite it's terrible plot.

Will give this one a go. I like this cast, it's fun to like something with the name "Star Trek" again.

I'm with you on both counts Brian!
                sigpic

Comment

• Sideshow Spock
                  valar morghulis
                  • Mar 8, 2005

New trailer:

Comment

• emeraldknight47
                    Talkative Member
                    • Jun 20, 2011

Watched this new trailer a few moments ago and, sorry, I'm still not feeling any ST in it besides characters names and a ship called ENTERPRISE. Maybe it's just my personal bias showing up, but this is vibing more and more like "FAST AND FURIOUS: STARFLEET EDITION." And, much like INTO DARKNESS borrowed heavily from WOK, it looks like this THIRD movie in the new iteration will do pretty much the same thing the happened in ST III: TSFS---the destruction of the ENTERPRISE.

In this case, in wont really do anything but make me happy because I've never really been terribly enamored with JJ's design of the ENTERPRISE anyway; a little too bulbous and organic looking instead of being sleek and cool. Plus, I can't really say that audiences have had a chance to really make any type of an emotional investment in this new ENTERPRISE. It's like Hollywood, and studios in general, know the attention span of today's generation is similar to a gnats, so they force "events" (Kirk's "death" in INTO DARKNESS, Batman and Superman duking it out without even having met prior, and now the destruction of another ENTERPRISE) onto the audiences in hopes of recapturing that which has gone before. Only that which has gone before, especially the three events I cited, took decades to build up, with layer upon layer of stories and emotions to draw from. When Spock died in WOK, it took an emotional toll on me because I had known the character for SO many years and because the relationship between Spock and Kirk had been developed and nurtured during that same time. Same scenario goes for the destruction of the ENTERPRISE in TSFS; yeah, the ship had been refitted and cosmetically changed a bit, but it was STILL the ENTERPRISE I watched on TV for years and years, so much so that the ship had become as much a character as Kirk, Spock and McCoy. Seeing it's saucer section detonate and then watching its' fiery remains plunge to the ground hurt. A lot. Probably as much as it hurt Kirk to do it.

Don't care much for the new poster they unveiled, either. Again, looks and feels too FAST AND FURIOUS for me and ST and TFATF are two franchises that should never, ever cross lines. Heck, I'm almost expecting Vin Diesel or The Rock to show up in the next ST movie...
                    sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                      Eloquent Member
                      • Jan 19, 2008

That new trailer makes me sad. It looks like a modern action flick driven by special effects. Not a sci-fi flick with a good story. Special effects aren't what I want. Over-the-top garbage with the no Star Trek feel, is how the trailer makes me feel. They shouldn't have made this movie...

Comment

• The Bat
                        Batman Fanatic
                        • Jul 14, 2002

I loved the first two and I CAN'T WAIT for this one as well! J.J. did the impossible..."re-cast" and brought the original Crew back, brought Star Trek BACK! And I for one, couldn't be more grateful. I hope they are many more movies to come!
                        sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                          el Hombre de Acero
                          • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by palitoy

Agreed...
                          sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                            el Hombre de Acero
                            • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by The Bat
                            I loved the first two and I CAN'T WAIT for this one as well! J.J. did the impossible..."re-cast" and brought the original Crew back, brought Star Trek BACK! And I for one, couldn't be more grateful. I hope they are many more movies to come!
                            Double agreed...

sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                              el Hombre de Acero
                              • May 19, 2003

I dig those different tailored Starfleet shirts...retro and classy...
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎