X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

THEM!

I'm getting ready to watch THEM!--my favorite "50s radioactive aberration" movie--for about the 20th time, and it's suddenly occurred to me that what makes it successful is the same formula as JAWS: A completely engrossing human story, in which the monster isn't revealed too early because of budget and effects limitations.

What do you think of these sorts of films?
    Last edited by PNGwynne; May 7, '16, 3:24 PM.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

I always thought having James Whitmore in it turned a B picture into an A

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

^ I know, right? One of me favorite character actors. Edmund Gwenn is great in it, too.
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
        HULK SMASH!
        • Apr 3, 2010

Them! is one of my all time favourites.
        Full of great moments... like the way that traumatized little girl reacts when she hears the ant noise again... chillingly effective.
        PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• YoungOnce
          Career Member
          • Aug 29, 2007

Originally posted by Bruce Banner
          Them! is one of my all time favourites.
          Full of great moments... like the way that traumatized little girl reacts when she hears the ant noise again... chillingly effective.
          You bet... Works on a level that modern pics don't because they have to show you some cool CGI. Granted, the effects of yesteryear wouldn't hold up for young folks today, but heck, they had the suspense thing working.

I don't like modern horror movies simply because they think horror is a "jump scare". Dark room or hallway... Music simmers... Then disappears... Uncomfortable silence, then SHREIK!

Doesn't even matter what's on the screen. It's done with sound.

Comment

• Werewolf
            Inhuman
            • Jul 14, 2003

I think it is absolutely brilliant. Terrific atmosphere. It has aged very well. I watch it every Halloween.
            You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• TrekStar
              Trek or Treat
              • Jan 20, 2011

Great 50's sci-fi classic, from the desert to underground sewer drains, a nice way to spend
              a boring Saturday afternoon, watch as a double feature along with The Deadly Mantis.

Comment

• HardyGirl
                Mego Museum's Poster Girl
                • Apr 3, 2007

THEM! is a great movie. But I love movies with giant creatures, even the super cheesy ones.
                "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
                'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
                Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
                If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• PNGwynne
                  Master of Fowl Play
                  • Jun 5, 2008

I do enjoy the cheesy ones, but THEM! is really slick. I guess that's the difference between being made by Warner Bros. and AIP.

BB, you're right--the scene with the little girl is masterful.

Comment

• LordMudd
                    Persistent Member
                    • Aug 22, 2011

It just occurred to me that if you got the 4" Antman with the ant, you would have a perfectly scaled Them ant for 4" figure.

CCC.

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎