X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • J.B.
    Guild Navigator
    • Jun 23, 2010

Alien: The derelict ship and its dead pilot

When I first saw Alien in the theater as a kid I was bothered by all the dark scenes, where you could barely make out what was being shown or what was going on. Looking back on it now, I find it brilliant. It added to the fear the protagonist and the audience was experiencing. One scene that got by me as a kid was that of the Space Jockey. It was so visually stunning that I never caught Dallas commenting on the burst open chest wound.

I think I've only seen it one more time since it came out when I was 12. I recently started getting interested in it again after the release of the Sideshow Space Jockey Maquette. I started doing some research and (throwing out all the nonsense presented in Prometheus), I still have questions. There doesn't seem to be a clear explanation on what the derelict was planning to do with the eggs in its cargo area; whether the Pilot's race was going to experiment on them or if they created them to use as weapons by dropping them on enemy planets. The Pilot himself was described by Dallas as appearing to be fossilized to the chair, insinuating he was dead for quite some time, but another take on it is that the Pilot and Chair were one entity; it grew into that chair and was never meant to leave it. If the latter were the case, how could the Pilot have ended up with a facehugger all up in its business? And I don't think it was ever made clear if that large thing it is/was looking into is some type of telescopic directional system or a weapon. Or both. One crazy scenario I came up with is that the derelict ship was on a mission to bomb an enemy planet with Xenomorph eggs; the crew was not down with the idea resulting in mutiny, with the Pilot taking a facehugger pie to the face. The remaining crew hits the warning signal and evacuates through the airlocks, which created an entrance for the 3 person crew from the Nostromo. Of course, that's assuming there was a crew besides the Pilot. I clearly need to see Alien again. I'd like to hear the thoughts from you Alien fans out there.
    You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.
  • Gorn Captain
    Invincible Ironing Man
    • Feb 28, 2008

I like to ignore Prometheus (don't get me started on that movie), and stick to my original idea of the Jockey.
    No, it wasn't a humanoid with a helmet on, it was an alien race that actually looked like that, biomechanical so probably part of the chair, like so many of Giger's hybrids. I find that much more "alien" and mysterious than some beefy bald humanoid in a suit, and more as Giger intended it ("fully integrated").
    The "gun" might as well be some sort of transmittor, making him the navigator of the ship?
    If you look at that photo closely, there might be a mouth opening beneath the tube coming from his face, so that may have been the chestburster's access point.

I think they were transporting the eggs, and something went wrong. Maybe they were working for Predators...
    Somewhere, there's a Predator complaining about not getting his package...
    "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• Mikey
      Verbose Member
      • Aug 9, 2001

This is going to sound nuts but of the many times I've seen Alien (including twice in the theatre) and having it on VHS I've never noticed until now the Space Jockey has a hugger on him.

I always thought the attachment part was some sort of breathing apparatus and the hugger legs were the Jockey's skeletal ribs.

Comment

• J.B.
        Guild Navigator
        • Jun 23, 2010

Originally posted by Mikey
        This is going to sound nuts but of the many times I've seen Alien (including twice in the theatre) and having it on VHS I've never noticed until now the Space Jockey has a hugger on him.

I always thought the attachment part was some sort of breathing apparatus and the hugger legs were the Jockey's skeletal ribs.
        Hmmm...I think what you're looking at Mikey is just how the Pilot's head and exoskeleton connect. I do agree with G.C. that it does have a mouth, which at some point, a facehugger was wrapped around; the question is how does an egg make it from the cargo area to the cockpit.

Comment

• Mikey
          Verbose Member
          • Aug 9, 2001

Originally posted by J.B.
          .......the question is how does an egg make it from the cargo area to the cockpit.
          I'm thinking of the chicken coming before the egg.

Meaning the first Alien/hugger to come aboard attached to the pilot might have been a queen.

Problem is how did he wind up in the chair ?

Comment

• J.B.
            Guild Navigator
            • Jun 23, 2010

Originally posted by Mikey
            I'm thinking of the chicken coming before the egg.

Meaning the first Alien/hugger to come aboard attached to the pilot might have been a queen.

Problem is how did he wind up in the chair ?

Comment

• Mikey
              Verbose Member
              • Aug 9, 2001

Ok, I've got it !!!!!!!!!

Not counting Prometheus, how do we know the Space Jockey's chair was a pilot chair ?

It's VERY possible it was a medical bed .... slam-dunk

Comment

• Hector
                el Hombre de Acero
                • May 19, 2003

Glad you started this thread...

I liked Prometheus, but consider it an alternate universe to the Alien franchise.

To me, the Space Jockey was a victim of the Xenomorph species. He/she/it was sending a distress call, received by the crew of the Nostromo. He/she/it was obviously attacked by a face hugger...then newborn eventually burst out of its chest.

That's what I thought when I first saw in it 79...

Who was the Space Jockey exactly? A simple astronomer? Zoologist? Baby sitter? Military? Or as in Prometheus...a big arze albino dude wearing a suit...who was both creator and destroyer?

I personally think the Space Jockey was organically attached to its telescope like a Siamese twin-contraption of some sorts, or at least had the ability to attach and detach.

Either way, it had a huge influenced in my life...more so than the Xenomorphs themselves...because it was such a mysterious figure...an unsolved mystery that still has me thinking to this day.
                sigpic

Comment

• samurainoir
                  Eloquent Member
                  • Dec 26, 2006

from the original Dark Horse comic series (pre Alien 3, grown up Newt and Hicks are still alive, and star)

Last edited by samurainoir; May 11, '16, 2:34 AM.
                  My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• Mikey
                    Verbose Member
                    • Aug 9, 2001

I should sue them for using my likeness

Originally posted by samurainoir
                    m

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                      HULK SMASH!
                      • Apr 3, 2010

Never liked the Dark Horse take on the Space Jockeys...

Also never liked Cameron's interpretation of the alien as being essentially a giant space insect... that really robbed the creatures of their mystique and mystery in my opinion. But Aliens remains one of my favourite movies regardless... go figure.

I did like Prometheus... the concept of the xenomorphs as being sort of biological weapons engineered by the Space Jockeys is far more interesting and closer to what I always kind of thought they might be.
                      PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎