X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Apjac Corny
    Museum Super Collector
    • Jan 12, 2016

Oliver Reed Curse of the Werewolf

The Curse of the Werewolf is hands down my favorite Hammer horror film. I never really thought it would be possible to do a Mego custom of the werewolf from the movie until a few weeks ago when a head popped up on eBay.

I snatched up the head did some clean up and now I'm ready to get started on my all time favorite werewolf in movie history.

So far my ingredients for this custom include,
    Original head sculpt by "next2thelastmohican"
    Zica type S body
    CTVT Happy Days Ralph shirt
    CTVT black clown pants
    Repro CHiPs boots
    CTVT red sash or red ribbon
    Elastic ruffle that I will cut and use for the frilled shirt
    And some Grey fake fur

I did a quick mock up to see how things will work before I start cutting and painting.

I have some some issues to work out before I get started. I'm not entirely sold on the fur. Sure, it'll work fine for the chest, which is essential to the figure but what about the hands? The supporting fabric underneath the fur is a little to visible for my taste and might look bad on the hands.

I could go early AHI style wolf-man and texture the chest & hands with acrylic gel and paint it. But then I would lose the fur popping through the rips in the shirt. Or I could keep the fur on the chest and just texture the hands and paint them. I'd like to try a textured chest on an spare figure just to see what it looks like before I decide for sure.

The next question I have is... Blood! Do I go full Hammer style Technicolor blood or do I keep "G" rating with this figure? If it's overdone it could look bad. If done right, awesome! I have and extra shirt in the event things get out of hand.

The head needs a few more coats of primer to tone some of the roughness down before I start to paint.

Hopefully I can get started this weekend.
  • Starroid Raiders Dagon
    Persistent Member
    • Apr 28, 2013

Oh yeah! Can hardly wait to see him finished. This is going to look great.

Comment

• Type3Toys
      Home Of The Type3 Body
      • Jan 18, 2005

Looks great so far! Cant wait to see him done. As you will come to learn, I am a HUGE werewolf fan!
      LOOK
      Action Figure Design & Prototypes
      For Samples See Home -Type 3 Body & Spiderman
      To Contact: type3toys@comcast.net

Comment

• noelani72
        27inaleon
        • Jun 25, 2002

that will be a fun one to do. I strategically glued fur to the chest/shoulders and biceps. Take some scraps and glue fibers at the wrist area.. I did dye the fur slightly too.
        Here’s the one I did:
        http://megomuseum.com/community/show...lf-Oliver-Reed

Comment

• MIB41
          Eloquent Member
          • Sep 25, 2005

Oh wow! That is really looking nice! I like your thinking on piecing this together. That is going to really read beautifully when it's completed. Can't wait!

Comment

• Apjac Corny
            Museum Super Collector
            • Jan 12, 2016

Originally posted by noelani72
            Nice work noelani! I see we are using the same head, great paint job! Those hands are wonderful as well. You also handled the blood tatsefully.

I think I will make a bloody werewolf. But I'd like a little more control than I would get with just paint. Maybe some red silicone or something... clear casting resin with red dye? Just spit balling ideas here...

Comment

• Apjac Corny
              Museum Super Collector
              • Jan 12, 2016

Update...
              The ruffed elastic didn't cut as well as I would have liked, it fell apart. Found some alternatives at Hobby Lobby last night but nothing I'm 100% sold on. The Happy days shirt is kinda an off white, which is fine but it does seem to match any of the ribbon I want to use for the ruffle, we'll see.

I have the remains of 13 customs and a WIP Alpha Flight Puck scattered across my work bench. Out of Primer & some essential paint colors. I gotta place a Tower Hobbies order today. I miss having a good Hobby Shop close by.

Must regroup and reorganize before I can go any further.

Comment

• Type3Toys
                Home Of The Type3 Body
                • Jan 18, 2005

Where about in Philly are you? You could pop right over the bridge and come to Deptford NJ and hit a Hobbie Lobby, AC Moore or Michael's. They are all within 2-3 minutes of each other too.
                LOOK

Comment

• Apjac Corny
                  Museum Super Collector
                  • Jan 12, 2016

I'm in the North East. I have a Michael's, AC Moore & Jo-Anns really close to my house. I'm lucky in that respect. If I shoot over towards Trenton there is a Hobby Lobby near the Mercer Mall.

We just don't have any ol' time hobby shops in the area anymore. I used to go to the one in Center city at 2nd & Market but I don't work downtown anymore. I'm not even sure if it's there now. Herb's in Doylestown & Penn Valley in Lansdale closed a few years ago. The best one left in the area is AAA Hobbies in Magnolia NJ, that's a haul for me.

Comment

• dr_cyclops
                    One eyed, wonder
                    • Dec 17, 2009

I'm totally jazzed about this project! Curse of the Werewolf is a personal favorite of mine. Head choice is rock solid. Luv the outfit.

Comment

• Apjac Corny
                      Museum Super Collector
                      • Jan 12, 2016

Got my bench cleaned off and reorganized and now I'm ready to Mego again!
                      I did some experimenting with the acrylic gel molding paste on a spare chest and was surprised with the results,

It looks much better than I thought it would and it only took me a few seconds to do. I shot it with some grey primer and popped the head on the test piece just to give me an idea how the finished figure will look.

I think I like it. I can also coat the arms so the fur shows through the rips in the shirt. It should also work well on the hands.

The head is pretty much as far as I can take it clean-up wise and ready to paint.

So I guess it's full steam ahead!

Comment

• torgospizza
                        Theocrat of Pan Tang
                        • Aug 19, 2010

Originally posted by Apjac Corny
                        I did some experimenting with the acrylic gel molding paste on a spare chest and was surprised with the results.
                        That worked out wonderfully! That was inspired thinking--it looks great!

Comment

• Apjac Corny
                          Museum Super Collector
                          • Jan 12, 2016

Thanks everybody!

Well, I got a chance to paint the head over the last two nights and I can't say that I'm entirely happy with it. I feel it's a bit overworked. But I think in a WIP thread it's important to show your failures as much as it is your successes.

I think I'm just rushing, I'd like to see the detail a bit softer.

Sometimes I need to sit back and remind myself that this is a hobby and there is no deadline.

I'm having second thoughts about using the Happy Days shirt. The fit is a bit snug. I really like how the shirt hung off of Ollie after the transformation in the movie. I'm just not going to get that with the Mego Ralph Malph shirt.

This is kinda the look I'm after...

I was thinking about using a 1/6th scale white shirt. Maybe I'll hit TRU after work tomorrow and see if any Ken doll shirts might just fit the bill.

Comment

• Type3Toys
                            Home Of The Type3 Body
                            • Jan 18, 2005

Originally posted by Apjac Corny
                            Thanks everybody!

Well, I got a chance to paint the head over the last two nights and I can't say that I'm entirely happy with it. I feel it's a bit overworked. But I think in a WIP thread it's important to show your failures as much as it is your successes.

I think I'm just rushing, I'd like to see the detail a bit softer.

Sometimes I need to sit back and remind myself that this is a hobby and there is no deadline.

I'm having second thoughts about using the Happy Days shirt. The fit is a bit snug. I really like how the shirt hung off of Ollie after the transformation in the movie. I'm just not going to get that with the Mego Ralph Malph shirt.

This is kinda the look I'm after...

I was thinking about using a 1/6th scale white shirt. Maybe I'll hit TRU after work tomorrow and see if any Ken doll shirts might just fit the bill.
                            Perhaps a 9" figure shirt? I would check ebay. Maybe a Cher outfit for the shirt?
                            LOOK

Comment

• noelani72
                              27inaleon
                              • Jun 25, 2002

this is coming along fantastic. The gel fur worked out perfectly. I used a CTVT straitjacket for my shirt. Snip the sleeves, and used the jacket belt to make the ruffles. You really spent some time on that head!

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎