Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hot Off The Work Bench, My Finished Customs!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Neutron X
    Persistent Member
    • Dec 22, 2007

WOW!!!! The Kirby Demon is a favorite of mine. What's the recipe? They all look great! It's hard to pick out a favorite. your painting skills are amazing!

Comment

• Apjac Corny
      Museum Super Collector
      • Jan 12, 2016

Originally posted by Neutron X
      WOW!!!! The Kirby Demon is a favorite of mine. What's the recipe?
      Thanks!

The head is currently available on eBay. Shoes, belt, dark blue kings cape and red bodysuit are all CTVT. Armbands are KISS neck bands also from CTVT.
      The red trunks are from Doc Mego. His fit a little looser than the ones from CTVT and are easier to work with. The legs where cut off the jumpsuit after putting it on the body and trunks were put on. This will prevent runs or pulls in the fabric.

You can also use a Batman cape if you'd like. I tried it and sort of liked it. I cut it all raggedy just like in the comic. It just doesn't lay as nicely as the king's cape. The gold button is from the scrapbook section at Hobby Lobby, it was gray. I painted it gold. They look a lot like the Mego Thor buttons that are on his tunic. I'm going to use them again for my upcoming Beta-Ray Bill custom. They come like 25 to a pack in various sizes and are self adhesive.

The body is from Zica. The arms, legs and hands were dyed with Rit yellow synthetic dye. Don't get the dye too hot or it will start to burn on the bottom of the pot and cause irregularities in the color. The hands are the Zica grippers. I cut and heated the fingers to spread them apart a bit.

I originally had another head sculpt on there but came across the current one about a week ago. The original had a certain charm but was a bit crude for my taste.

Comment

• rche
        channeling Bob Wills
        • Mar 26, 2008

They are all great, but the Etrigan is my favorite.

Comment

• thunderbolt
          Hi Ernie!!!
          • Feb 15, 2004

nice, and really like that Etrigan!
          You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
            Moderation Engineer
            • Aug 14, 2003

Fantastic stuff. Phil Nobile was probably the guy you got the head from for Taylor. I am pretty sure I remember that Daredevil. It has held up well, but back in the day it was practically groundbreaking.

The gloves on Wildcat are a super idea. He is such a hard character to pull off.

Comment

• MysteryWho
              Persistent Member
              • Dec 16, 2008

Great set of figures, so many great choices and details. I\m curious where the Silver Surfer suit came from?

Comment

• TrekStar
                Trek or Treat
                • Jan 20, 2011

Those all look fantastic, can't decide which one I like best, very nice work.

Comment

• Apjac Corny
                  Museum Super Collector
                  • Jan 12, 2016

Originally posted by EMCE Hammer
                  Fantastic stuff. Phil Nobile was probably the guy you got the head from for Taylor. I am pretty sure I remember that Daredevil. It has held up well, but back in the day it was practically groundbreaking.
                  Yes! It was Phil Nobile. I think I traded a Daredevil head & belt for the Taylor head. I now remember that I was selling Daredevil kits with that head cast in color and the belt, which was also cast in color in a flexible urethane resin and a pair of red oven mitts. There should be some of my DD stuff still floating around out there.

After college, I worked in product development as an apprentice model maker back in the 90's and did a lot of work for all the major toy companies. I had access to all kinds of casting materials so I would pour a Mego head or accessory whenever we had some extra material around. Ahhh, those were the days!

Here's Phil's head, I still have it in it's original paint job. It's been untouched since 1997. It's due for a repaint and a Zica body.

Originally posted by MysteryWho
                  I\m curious where the Silver Surfer suit came from?
                  The Surfer costume is a grey CTVT jumpsuit painted with Tulip brand silver fabric spray paint. I was really surprised how well this stuff worked. It looks much more metallic than it does in the picture. It's also subtle. It doesn't look like he was dipped in glitter. It might work even better with a black body suit, I'll probably experiment with that in the future at some point.

I painted the suit on one of those junky clown bodies that CTVT gives you if you spend 50 bucks. This allowed me to spray in between the legs and under the arms without too much difficulty. It goes on really well but you should let it dry for about a week before putting it on your figure.

All the 70's reference that I was using for the surfer including my box showed him in underpants. I added them about a week after the figure was finished. CTVT also sells them in the same gray color. It took one can of paint to do the entire outfit.

The paint is sold at all the major craft stores, Michael's, AC Moore, Jo-Ann's etc. If you grab a 40 or 50% off coupon the paint should run you somewhere under 4 bucks.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                    Master of Fowl Play
                    • Jun 5, 2008

You sold copies of the DD head?
                    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Apjac Corny
                      Museum Super Collector
                      • Jan 12, 2016

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                      You sold copies of the DD head?
                      Yup, about 19 years ago. I sold the molds since.
                      There are some still out there. I found some in the museum in the old Customego section,
                      http://www.megomuseum.com/custom/cus...arendsen.shtml
                      http://www.megomuseum.com/custom/res...krfamcov.shtml

I really wish I would have kept a head & belt for myself

I started casting again so I might make more when I get the itch to do another Daredevil.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                        Master of Fowl Play
                        • Jun 5, 2008

I'd love one. I recall another member showcasing something similar, maybe he was inspired by you or bought a set.
                        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Type3Toys
                          Home Of The Type3 Body
                          • Jan 18, 2005

Welcome home Mike. What a great looking set of figures too! The Wolfman and Moon Knight really stand out for me. Cant wait to you your take on the Reed Werewolf!
                          LOOK
                          Action Figure Design & Prototypes
                          For Samples See Home -Type 3 Body & Spiderman
                          To Contact: type3toys@comcast.net

Comment

• MIB41
                            Eloquent Member
                            • Sep 25, 2005

Awesome customs! Very nicely done. Welcome to the family! Glad to have you in the troop.

Comment

• Apjac Corny
                              Museum Super Collector
                              • Jan 12, 2016

Originally posted by Type3Toys
                              Cant wait to you your take on the Reed Werewolf!
                              I can't wait to start it, I have the head primed up and nearly ready to paint. I think I'll start a WIP thread. I have some (hopefully) interesting ideas that I'd really like the forums input on.

Comment

• apes3978
                                Permanent Member
                                • Nov 19, 2005

Very nice batch of figures... Good work all around...

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎