X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Majere
    Banned
    • Apr 17, 2016

Anyone ever had quality issues before?

So I just received my first order from classictvtoys.com, and was a little disappointed. I ordered the mad monsters vinyl playset with 4 loose figures, and the black custom coffin.

The coffin was scratched outside, and the red felt lining inside had a shoddy application. 3 of the 4 figures had weird, contorted shapes that made one leg appear longer than the other. The 4th had a broken lower leg altogether.

I've sent an email, and am hopeful they will remedy the situation. Has anyone had any similar problems in the past, and any suggestions on how to handle/avoid this kind of situation now, or in the future?

Thanks so much, guys.
  • Waylon Mercy
    • Dec 6, 2015

That is awful. I recently had very bad quality issues from FTC but their customer service is quite helpful. It doesn't excuse the morons in the quality control department though.

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
      Often invisible
      • Jul 18, 2002

The Mad Monsters are old stock from 10 years ago or so. The bodies they were released on were notoriously brittle and I'm sure time hasn't helped that situation.
      Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• MIB41
        Eloquent Member
        • Sep 25, 2005

Sorry to hear about that. Figure-wise anything before the initial KISS line up is going to have inherent body problems from the factory they were stuck with. If you would like to order modern bodies from them, which I do, order the ones that say "Made in China" and those are the new and improved model. Would love to see some pics of the castle. How is that in terms of a playset? I always wanted to see pictures of the interior in full view but their ad doesn't really show all the graphics.

Comment

• PNGwynne
          Master of Fowl Play
          • Jun 5, 2008

Who hasn't had quality issues? Some are still having them lol. But FTC will likely send you replacements.

I believe the current Monsters are a second run with the castle release, but before China production. As MIB41 says, replacements with China bodies should solve things.

Tom, I posted a review of the Castle here and mentioned it elsewhere, too. I think it is a good effort, and certainly a nice placeholder for an original--and I have one for comparison. It takes a couple of shortcuts, but nothing egregious--I'd grade it at about 85%. The graphics duplication is accurate but a little muddy.

The back wall interior wall features a lab scene with equipment, potions, eyechart lol etc. One side panel features a robot.

The biggest drawback is inherent in the original design: The playset expands from the sides accordion-style, but doesn't open up completely. You can only access the interior through the roof or drawbridge. This limits play and display IMO. And so photographing the interior is difficult, too.

I'm trying to work out a custom version that opens up, also using some WOz Witch's Castle parts. But finding the proper rivets has been a challenge.
          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Hedji
            Citizen of Gotham
            • Nov 17, 2012

Welcome to the forum, Majere!

MIB41 is absolutely right. Figures Toy Company has had a history of badly made bodies, but they've improved. As far as their customer service goes, your mileage will vary. I've heard both good and bad stories of their response. Unfortunately, your Mad Monster Figures are the old bodies, which were so bad, you're almost guaranteed to break one, or have it arrive broken.

What many people do is buy different bodies for them, and then swap out the heads and hands. I haven't done much of that myself, but there are experts here who may chime in and offer suggestions as to where to get bodies, which ones work best, are compatible with the monster heads, and how to do the swap. Hopefully, someone will be able to help you with that.

Anyway, I hope your problem is resolved and you are able to enjoy your playset and figures.

Comment

• Majere
              Banned
              • Apr 17, 2016

Originally posted by Hedji
              Welcome to the forum, Majere!

MIB41 is absolutely right. Figures Toy Company has had a history of badly made bodies, but they've improved. As far as their customer service goes, your mileage will vary. I've heard both good and bad stories of their response. Unfortunately, your Mad Monster Figures are the old bodies, which were so bad, you're almost guaranteed to break one, or have it arrive broken.

What many people do is buy different bodies for them, and then swap out the heads and hands. I haven't done much of that myself, but there are experts here who may chime in and offer suggestions as to where to get bodies, which ones work best, are compatible with the monster heads, and how to do the swap. Hopefully, someone will be able to help you with that.

Anyway, I hope your problem is resolved and you are able to enjoy your playset and figures.
              Thanks everybody, for the welcome and the responses. Much appreciated. . I'll keep you updated on the sutuation.

Besides FTC, which other sites do you guys use when you purchase mego-style bodies?

Comment

• PNGwynne
                Master of Fowl Play
                • Jun 5, 2008

*Dr. Mego's Repros

*8-Inch Superstore (Though this is closed for site maintenance just now. Stocks wonderful bandless bodies.)

Welcome!
                WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• MIB41
                  Eloquent Member
                  • Sep 25, 2005

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                  Who hasn't had quality issues? Some are still having them lol. But FTC will likely send you replacements.

I believe the current Monsters are a second run with the castle release, but before China production. As MIB41 says, replacements with China bodies should solve things.

Tom, I posted a review of the Castle here and mentioned it elsewhere, too. I think it is a good effort, and certainly a nice placeholder for an original--and I have one for comparison. It takes a couple of shortcuts, but nothing egregious--I'd grade it at about 85%. The graphics duplication is accurate but a little muddy.

The back wall interior wall features a lab scene with equipment, potions, eyechart lol etc. One side panel features a robot.

The biggest drawback is inherent in the original design: The playset expands from the sides accordion-style, but doesn't open up completely. You can only access the interior through the roof or drawbridge. This limits play and display IMO. And so photographing the interior is difficult, too.

I'm trying to work out a custom version that opens up, also using some WOz Witch's Castle parts. But finding the proper rivets has been a challenge.
                  Thank you Scott! I appreciate the review. I had given some thought to picking one up when I get done with the basement this summer. Thought it might make for a cool display for my Mego Mad Monsters as well as a fun backdrop for my AHI figures. Thanks again for the input!

Comment

• PNGwynne
                    Master of Fowl Play
                    • Jun 5, 2008

^You're welcome! It's compact and makes a good display, you can even omit the crows-nest parapets for shelf clearance. And I'll bet your grandson would like it, it could even be used with the upcoming Scooby-Doo line.

Comment

• tllgn
                      Persistent Member
                      • Feb 6, 2010

if by chance you want to know more about the Mad monsters figures and the repro stuff check out a mego museum members youtube
                      review ,its very good and takes you through the Mad monster history .

Comment

• Majere
                        Banned
                        • Apr 17, 2016

Got an email today from FTC saying they were sending out 4 new figures. That's it, literally. Just that message. No apologies or explanation or anything of that sort. Anyway, just an update for you guys.

I'm at least willing to buy from them again now, as it stands. Thanks to everyone for the feedback as well. I'll let you know about the replacement figures once they've arrived.

Comment

• Majere
                          Banned
                          • Apr 17, 2016

Originally posted by tllgn
                          if by chance you want to know more about the Mad monsters figures and the repro stuff check out a mego museum members youtube
                          review ,its very good and takes you through the Mad monster history .
                          I checked it out. Pretty nice vid, thanks for the recommendation.

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎