X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brown Bear
    Still Old School
    • Feb 14, 2008

Mego Meet Virgin

I've been kicking around here a long time and I was never in a position to afford a trip to Mego Meet. Well, I think this June is finally it. I ran the idea by my wife tonight and to my surprise she went for it. My jaw hit the floor and I immediately got goosebumps. I'm cashing in all our airmiles and flying solo from Nova Scotia.

I fly from Halifax to Montreal, then to Chicago. But before I purchase tickets, I'm hoping some of my friends here can provide some tips for me like what airport to I fly into? What hotel? How far is the drive from the airport to the hotel? Any other first timer tips that might be helpful.

I'm not much of a traveler so any tips would be appreciated and if anyone wants to meet up in Montreal that'd be cool to.

After all the hours spent on here, I honestly can say I am excited to meet you guys face to face and shake some hands.

To steal a line from our pal Austin.....Peace, Love & Megos.
    Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

I'm so glad you can attend, BB--MegoMeet was terrific in Wheeling and I'll bet even better in Skokie.
    Last edited by PNGwynne; Apr 28, '16, 7:57 PM.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Brown Bear
      Still Old School
      • Feb 14, 2008

Originally posted by PNGwynne
      I'm so glad you can attend, BB--MegoMeet was terrific in Wheeling and no doubt even better in Skokie.
      Thanks pal. Looking forward to meeting everyone.

Comment

• pmwasson
        Maker
        • Sep 12, 2007

That is great news! I'm looking forward to meeting you in person!
        sigpic LaserMego

Comment

• WannabeMego
          Made in the USA
          • May 2, 2003

The nearest major airport is Chicago O'Hare International Airport (ORD / KORD) and it's 14 miles from the center of Skokie, IL.

Mego Meet Hotel: http://doubletree.hilton.com/en/dt/g...l?WT.mc_id=POG

...there is a commencement going on in the area during the MegoMeet Weekend, so the block of reservations expire on May 26th.

Good Luck
          Everyone is Entitled to MY Opinion...Your's, not so much!

Comment

• Brown Bear
            Still Old School
            • Feb 14, 2008

Originally posted by pmwasson
            That is great news! I'm looking forward to meeting you in person!
            Thank you Paul. Certainly looking forward to meeting you too.

Comment

• Brown Bear
              Still Old School
              • Feb 14, 2008

Originally posted by WannabeMego
              The nearest major airport is Chicago O'Hare International Airport (ORD / KORD) and it's 14 miles from the center of Skokie, IL.

Mego Meet Hotel: http://doubletree.hilton.com/en/dt/g...l?

WT.mc_id=POG

...there is a commencement going on in the area during the MegoMeet Weekend, so the block of reservations expire on May 26th.

Good Luck
              Thanks very much!!😀

Comment

• Cornelius POTA
                Persistent Member
                • Jul 19, 2011

That is great news. Very happy for you.

Travel safe and MEGO MEGO
                Cornelius POTA sigpic MEGO of the Planet Of The Apes :ape:
                :smiley13: Cornelius is home.
                I'm in a groove and on the move collecting Mego POTA figures. PM me anytime.

Comment

• ScottA
                  Original Member
                  • Jun 25, 2001

There's nothing like your first time.
                  sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• samurainoir
                    Eloquent Member
                    • Dec 26, 2006

This was the advice I typed up for Jason in email, but I figured I'd add on to it, and provide it to everyone (including lurkers) based on what we learned last year.

Chicago has actually made it a nice destination for a little additional family holiday. Bring the family! there is plenty for them to do outside of Mego Meet, although Mego Meet itself is very family friendly with lots of kids running around, playing with each other, colouring pages or making customs.

If you haven't booked your plane yet, I highly recommend flying into O'Hare rather than the other airport. If you are arriving and able to co-ordinate with others flying in, you can carpool in from the airport too. One thing that we weren't quite accounting for.. Chicago traffic is nuts. Sometimes hours to get anywhere! This is why even if you save a little bit by flying into the other airport, the additional cab/gas/annoyance aren't worth it.

Once you get to the hotel, it's always easy to spot Megoheads hanging around the lobby. Come up and introduce yourself. We're all doughy middle aged men with nerd-shirts . If no one is in the lobby head over to the "Mego Suite" in the conference room area on the ground floor. Folks had taken to converging on the Hot Dog place across the street around lunch time, so if no one is in the lobby or mego suite, we're likely there!

Aw Yeah Comics is close by and also a place where folks converged when they arrived. There were small group expeditions to Quake Collectibles and Deep Dish Pizza dinners as well. Again.. I'm not kidding when I say Chicago traffic is terrible, so if you do go on these excursions, sit back, relax and enjoy the company of the folks you are crammed into the car with... FOR HOURS! 8)

It's awesome arriving on Thursday. Extremely casual day for just hanging out, chilling, chatting and catching up with the other small but dedicated groups of early birds.

Things pick up with set-up day on Friday, and Saturday is full tilt Bingo! Don't be shy either... after all, when else in your life will you be in a room full of folks who automatically LOVE everything YOU LOVE?!

My suggestions for dinner Saturday... it's hard to co-ordinate dozens and dozens of people and make appropriate dinner reservations. Chicago is also a diners paradise. Grab a handful of people, say anyone is invited to come along.. and then head out with purpose without looking back. Otherwise you get kinda hungry trying to herd everyone to one destination that also satisfy's everyone's dietary requirements. Everyone is going to converge back at the Mego Suite after dinner anyways!
                    Last edited by samurainoir; May 2, '16, 5:20 PM.
                    My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• Brown Bear
                      Still Old School
                      • Feb 14, 2008

Wow, Sam - all great advice for any first timer. I really appreciate the email too my friend.

Looking forward to seeing you again buddy.

Comment

• MegoMoe
                        • Feb 13, 2014

I can only attend on Friday.... Will I be missing out on a lot, or are most dealers there both days?

Thanks!

Comment

• ScottA
                          Original Member
                          • Jun 25, 2001

Friday is set-up day. You'll be right in the thick of it. Please buy me out.
                          sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• samurainoir
                            Eloquent Member
                            • Dec 26, 2006

Originally posted by MegoMoe
                            I can only attend on Friday.... Will I be missing out on a lot, or are most dealers there both days?

Thanks!
                            Friday's a great time to come out. Dealers might not be set up fully, but it's a chance to get first dibs on all the great stuff!

Also a much more casual, hang-out, chill and relax day. I actually enjoy Friday more than Saturday since it's a little less structured.

(I understand there might be an event on Thursday at Aw Yeah Comics this year?)
                            My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎