X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • samurainoir
    Eloquent Member
    • Dec 26, 2006

Lone Ranger/Green Hornet crossover

folks that know the connection between these two will know why i'm excited that they are FINALLY telling this story.

Rating: Teen + Cover A: John Cassaday Writer: Michael Uslan Art: Giovanni Timpano Genre: Superhero, Pulp Noir Publication Date: July 2016 Format: Comic Book Page Count: 32 pages UPC: 725130249173 01011 ON SALE DATE: 7/6 A tale of super-heroics and family that has taken eighty years to be told! This first chapter, entitled "Those Thrilling Days of Yesteryear," creates a world of carefully researched alternative history in 1936 as we learn whatever happened to The Lone Ranger and discover his familial link to the emergence of a man who is a modern day urban version of The Lone Ranger himself. What is the blood connection of The Green Hornet to The Lone Ranger? What is the link of Olympic runner Jesse Owens to The Green Hornet? What role does Bat Masterson play in The Lone Ranger's New York adventure? What intense rift tears a family apart just when America desperately needs a great champion of justice? The shocking answers lie in the historic first issue of "The Lone Ranger Meets the Green Hornet: Champions of Justice!

My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!
  • Mego Milk
    Custom Mego Maker
    • Jun 3, 2007

Green Hornet is Lone Ranger's grandson...right?

for real.

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

Yeah, how is this possible without a time machine? (I think it's grand-nephew, BTW. I need to check.)
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• MIB41
        Eloquent Member
        • Sep 25, 2005

That is very interesting! I'll have to pick that up. A great story to tie those two together. I know they've been referenced as such for so long. Great idea.

Comment

• Makernaut
          Persistent Member
          • Jul 22, 2015

Originally posted by PNGwynne
          Yeah, how is this possible without a time machine? (I think it's grand-nephew, BTW. I need to check.)
          Yes. Britt Reid's father is Dan Reid, the nephew of The Lone Ranger.

Comment

• knight errant00
            8 Inch Action Figure
            • Nov 15, 2005

Originally posted by Makernaut
            Yes. Britt Reid's father is Dan Reid, the nephew of The Lone Ranger.
            Which I've often considered would be an interesting, non-time-travelly way to connect the characters in one story . . . starting with the LR and Dan, then continuing with GH and Dan.
            Last edited by knight errant00; Apr 29, '16, 3:10 PM.

Comment

• Makernaut
              Persistent Member
              • Jul 22, 2015

I can't pretend like I have bought a lot of Dynamite's comics (or really any comics for a while), but I really love that they keep the old Pulp characters going. I did buy some Green Hornet titles they put out about 6 or so years ago. Year One, I think. I should check this out because I love the Pulp Heros and need to support what I can.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                Verbose Member
                • Mar 7, 2004

Green Hornet was originally Lone Ranger's Great-Nephew. Britt Reid, the Green Hornet was the son of the Lone Ranger's nephew, Dan Reid, who Gabriel made a figure of in their 10" line.

If I recall correctly, Dan inherited the silver mine John (the Lone Ranger) and his father Dan Senior owned. This is where the Ranger got his supply of silver bullets. Dan used the money from the mine to start the Daily Sentinel, which Britt eventually took over as publisher.

Now Comics UNOFFICIALLY had the Ranger in the family in their excellent GH series back in the late 80s.

Chris
                Last edited by Earth 2 Chris; Apr 29, '16, 3:49 PM.
                sigpic

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                  Muddling through
                  • Oct 4, 2008

I believe both characters were created by the same guy. I thought there had been a crossover comic in the late eighties or early nineties

Comment

• samurainoir
                    Eloquent Member
                    • Dec 26, 2006

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                    Green Hornet was originally Lone Ranger's Great-Nephew. Britt Reid, the Green Hornet was the son of the Lone Ranger's nephew, Dan Reid, who Gabriel made a figure of in their 10" line.

If I recall correctly, Dan inherited the silver mine John (the Lone Ranger) and his father Dan Senior owned. This is where the Ranger got his supply of silver bullets. Dan used the money from the mine to start the Daily Sentinel, which Britt eventually took over as publisher.

Now Comics UNOFFICIALLY had the Ranger in the family in their excellent GH series back in the late 80s.

Chris
                    Originally established in the Radio Shows.

Really LOVED that nod a great deal.

Way before DC started cashing in on the idea of a "Legacy Hero" via Starman and JSA, Now's Green Hornet series did it best by establishing the (unnamed) Lone Ranger as the start of their family legacy of heroes. If we include LR, Now Comics showed five generations of masked heroes during their run (including the Dark Tomorrow GH).

I really wished at the time that Topps Comics and Now Comics could have done some kind of crossover.

Last edited by samurainoir; May 2, '16, 6:05 PM.

Comment

• samurainoir
                      Eloquent Member
                      • Dec 26, 2006

I'm hoping it's the kind of storyline that flashes back and forth between eras. For example, Lone Ranger and Tonto encounter something that remains a mystery until Green Hornet stumbles across it decades later and needs to follow the threads back down his family lineage.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                        Master of Fowl Play
                        • Jun 5, 2008

I was a devoted fan of the NOW comic, I discovered the TV series at about the same time. It was challenging to track it down back then--I was in college, short on cash, and buying at the local drug-store comics rack.

I have the middle prom0tional art in Sam's post framed, as well as the collected hardcover of the first twelve issues. And, when Now sponsored a GH trivia contest, I placed second and received a photo of Van Williams as GH, signed by him. It was my first "fan" experience, I was thrilled.

I love the radio and serial stuff, but the legacy depicted by NOW really engaged and fascinated me. It lead to an enjoyment of the Lone Ranger, too.

Great post, Sam--brought back a rush of fond memories.
                        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• samurainoir
                          Eloquent Member
                          • Dec 26, 2006

I was a devoted fan of the NOW comic, I discovered the TV series at about the same time. It was challenging to track it down back then--I was in college, short on cash, and buying at the local drug-store comics rack.

I have the middle prom0tional art in Sam's post framed, as well as the collected hardcover of the first twelve issues. And, when Now sponsored a GH trivia contest, I placed second and received a photo of Van Williams as GH, signed by him. It was my first "fan" experience, I was thrilled.

I love the radio and serial stuff, but the legacy depicted by NOW really engaged and fascinated me. It lead to an enjoyment of the Lone Ranger, too.

Great post, Sam--brought back a rush of fond memories.
                          Wow! how cool was that to get an autographed Van Williams photo from Now Comics! Just goes to show you how much care they put into that Green Hornet comic and why fans still remember it fondly.

I thought it a stroke of genius to treat the radio/pulp/comic Green Hornet as a separate character from the Van Williams 60's TV Green Hornet, which paved the way beautifully to the modern version (anyone else think Starman paid too close a "homage" to the way the Now Green Hornet opened?).

some real love for Bruce Lee as well in that series (60's Kato became a movie star after Britt Reid II's retirement). Although I did really like the female Kato they introduced (was it the license holders that forced Now to go back to the male Kato?)

If Green Hornet gets another kick at the can in TV or Movies, I really want them to follow the Now series as a template.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                            Master of Fowl Play
                            • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by samurainoir
                            I'm hoping it's the kind of storyline that flashes back and forth between eras. For example, Lone Ranger and Tonto encounter something that remains a mystery until Green Hornet stumbles across it decades later and needs to follow the threads back down his family lineage.
                            Perfect scenario IMO. And how cool would it be it the two foes were related? Perhaps too pat. But, if Johnny Dollar had ended up being related to Cavendish in the old comic, that would've blown my mind back then...

Comment

• samurainoir
                              Eloquent Member
                              • Dec 26, 2006

the writer certainly isn't giving us any hints in this interview. In an era of "Cinematic Universes", sounds like he was ahead of the curve with wanting to combine Lone Ranger and Green Hornet franchises. Perhaps someone will bite soon?

Michael Uslan talks Lone Ranger / Green Hornet #1, on sale in July from Dynamite. Main cover is by John Cassaday with two incentive covers by Giovanni

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎