• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • samurainoir
    Eloquent Member
    • Dec 26, 2006

Star Wars: The Return of Peter Cushing

Agree? Disagree?

I think i'm okay with this as long as it's Andy Serkis in a mo-cap suit.

Late English actor’s villainous Grand Moff Tarkin set to appear again in the spin-off, although actor’s footwear habits mean no Star Wars footage exists of his feet
    My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!
  • Nostalgiabuff
    Muddling through
    • Oct 4, 2008

yeah, I had heard about this a while back. I think it is pretty cool. I just hope the technology is actually good enough to pull it off so it looks seamless

Comment

• MIB41
      Eloquent Member
      • Sep 25, 2005

I think that is very cool! Rogue One is looking more and more like the movie I wanted. Really liking everything I'm seeing and reading about.

Comment

• jwyblejr
        galactic yo-yo
        • Apr 6, 2006

Wonder if they'll use the voice actor who did Tarkin on Rebels?

Comment

• Gorn Captain
          Invincible Ironing Man
          • Feb 28, 2008

Get an actor that looks like him (Wayne Pigram), and problem solved...
          "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• sprytel
            Talkative Member
            • Jun 26, 2009

Originally posted by Gorn Captain
            Get an actor that looks like him (Wayne Pigram), and problem solved...
            Exactly. I think we discussed this before... but I still don't get it. As great as Cushing was, is it that hard to find old white guys?

Comment

• VintageMike
              Permanent Member
              • Dec 16, 2004

I like it. The original SW has always been my favorite and I love the fact that part of the SW universe is being explored again. Getting Cushing on top would add to it for me.

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                Invincible Ironing Man
                • Feb 28, 2008

I remember CG Arnold in Terminator Salvation. All I could see was "lifeless CG effect", I never "felt his presence".
                "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• phil
                  Persistent Member
                  • May 11, 2007

I had heard this was a possibility and I don't like it. Why not just hire an actor to play Tarkin? What happened to the guy they used in Revenge of the Sith?

Comment

• cockyhoskins
                    Career Member
                    • Jan 13, 2009

I don't mind it, but it sure feels like a waste of budget to blow money rendering a Peter Cushing model! Like it's already been stated, why not just use a similar looking actor in prosthetics?

Comment

• PNGwynne
                      Master of Fowl Play
                      • Jun 5, 2008

I'm not invested in this at all, I gave up Star Wars decades ago. But, I'm always interested in casting and I find this CGI stuff somewhat creepy. And perhaps it's intended as an homage, but to me it's either pandering, disrespectful, or both.

I'd rather see another actor of a similar type essay Tarkin.
                      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• huedell
                        Museum Ball Eater
                        • Dec 31, 2003

Sounds great. Actor dies (and/or not interested), and the rights are available to present their replicated visage and voice---the, by ALL means DO it. It's a future of movies that I'm not only comfortable with, but that I'd also like to happen ASAP. A lot of the weak criticisms of Force Awakens were punctuated by phrases like "Well, the prequels were pretty bad, but Force Awakens was worse, as it wasn't pioneering as far as the effects/film-making aesthetic." Well, there ya go.

I'm not into SFX, but an effect that attempts to bring the actor that played Tarkin back from the dead in a new Star Wars movie? Sign me up! A Harold Ramis ghost for a genuine GB3? Sign me up!

This process is simply an extension of all your Stan Winstons & Phil Tippets, Pete's Dragon & Roger Rabbit, thru Jurassic Park thru the Star Wars prequels, Avatar, etc etc. It is also (if you have to look at this way) a soul-sucking, dark process--okay---but, so is life---and, this Cushing/Tarkin stuff is for freakin' entertainment. Alec Guiness may have not particularly enjoyed that there were Obi-Wan figures out there with his likeness--- but Guiness was in the entertainment business, and so was Cushing. It was the darker... cheesier side of entertainment. This was/is these actor's lives.

Kenobi, Tarkin, Spengler were OUR lives.

Sign me up!
                        "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• gummi
                          Career Member
                          • Dec 2, 2009

I'd love to see it if they can pull it off, but honestly, I can't think of a CGI human that I've seen on the big screen yet that hasn't looked off in one way or another.
                          "Trying is the first step towards failure." - H. J. Simpson, 1997

Comment

• phil
                            Persistent Member
                            • May 11, 2007

I wonder if someone isn't trying to prove a point by using this technology. No I don't know what the point might be but it's the impression I get.

Comment

• TomStrong
                              Persistent Member
                              • Jul 22, 2011

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                              I'm not invested in this at all, I gave up Star Wars decades ago. But, I'm always interested in casting and I find this CGI stuff somewhat creepy. And perhaps it's intended as an homage, but to me it's either pandering, disrespectful, or both.

I'd rather see another actor of a similar type essay Tarkin.
                              I agree. It does seem disrespectful. I can't imagine how I'd feel if that were my family member. It's hard for me to look at pictures of my family who are gone much less see them brought back as an animated thing.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎