Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did anyone of you play with "Playmobil"?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Grüner Pfeil
    Teen Titan
    • Feb 21, 2016

Did anyone of you play with "Playmobil"?

I just wanted to ask if anyone of you who grew up in the 70s and 80s played with Playmobil. Here in Germany, Playmobil was very popular in the 70s and still is today. In the USA, Playmobil was distributed by Schaper and Mattel until Playmobil itself took over distributing in 1986.
    If anyone played with Playmobil in his/her childhood please let me know. And please tell me which sets you had, too.
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

I always wanted Playmobil; I still like looking at the sets and their aesthetic. I was particularly interested in the medieval sets.

But they were just too expensive, and when I started noticing them, I was already a bit too old for them.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• HardyGirl
      Mego Museum's Poster Girl
      • Apr 3, 2007

I have several Playmobil "specials" (just the figures) and I like using those w/ Legos.
      "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
      'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
      Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
      If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
        Muddling through
        • Oct 4, 2008

i had a lot of play mobile. but my family is of German decent so it was a no brainer. I don't remember specific sets but I had knights, western calvary and Indians, and I think pirates.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
          Muddling through
          • Oct 4, 2008

when my kids were little I bought them a lot of playmobil, my son loved it too. but he quickly outgrew it

Comment

• sprytel
            Talkative Member
            • Jun 26, 2009

Sure. I went from Playmobile to Adventure People to Star Wars figures.

I don't remember which specific sets I had, but I remember during my stay at the Children's Hospital they had this amazing million-piece Construction Worker set that I was fascinated with.

Comment

• Paperback hero
              • Mar 20, 2012

The pirate and medieval sets looked extensive, and I wanted them, but like aove, too expensive and not readily available.

For some reason, on a Toronto kids show, Just Like Mom, they always gave away Playmobil as a prize. Anyone remember Fergie shilling the sets?

Comment

• Ninersphan1
                Veteran Member
                • Jul 27, 2009

yep had quite a bit, I had the knights set, my brother had cowboys. we had a friend that had a TON of Cowboy/indian and Civil war stuff. I see what they done with the Knights line, castles, dragons etc. over the years and wish it was as expansive when I was a kid. I'd have killed for a playmobil castle for my knights. Great toys even today.

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                  Museum Paramedic
                  • Aug 31, 2005

I played with playmobil and the late 70s and early to mid 1980s. The sets that I had were all firefighting, ambulance/rescue and hospital related. I grew up in Indiana.

- Ian
                  Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• palitoy
                    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                    • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Paperback hero
                    For some reason, on a Toronto kids show, Just Like Mom, they always gave away Playmobil as a prize. Anyone remember Fergie shilling the sets?
                    Holy cow, yeah, Robin Hood flour and Playmobile. And Fergie getting creepy with kids.

I never saw it as a kid, it seemed to be more of an "educational store" item more than straight toy stores. The only piece I ever got was around 1982 when McDonalds had a Playmobile happy meal promotion.
                    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Boy_Wonder_1978
                      Career Member
                      • Apr 30, 2015

I never owned any Playmobil myself, but I remember playing with them when I was taken to either the doctors or the dentist. They were the main toy in the children's play area in waiting rooms. Never really appealed to me if I'm honest. Back then nothing could hold a candle to Star Wars figures.

Comment

• drquest
                        ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
                        • Apr 17, 2012

Had a few as a kid, but not a lot. I remember McDonald's Happy Meal having Playmobile people as the included toy at least one time.

My kids got the Playmobile Egyptian Pyramid set a few year ago for Christmas. They played a lot with it.
                        Danny(Drquest)
                        Captain Action HQ
                        Retro shirts and stuff
                        More retro shirts
                        Stuff For Sale

Comment

• Godzilla
                          Permanent Member
                          • Nov 3, 2002

I had a bunch (a knights set, an indians set, a dump truck). My kids played with all of that and liked it so much we started adding new sets to the collection. Playmobil is good stuff. When I was in England a year ago they had a kids magazine that came with a Playmobil knight figure.
                          Mortui Vivos Docent
                          The Dead Teach the Living

Comment

• supes
                            For the love of Mego's!
                            • Jan 19, 2004

I had a few of the figures. The first one I got was a construction worker that was a free mail away from family circle magazine I believe. Cool little guys

For the love of Mego's

Comment

• rche
                              channeling Bob Wills
                              • Mar 26, 2008

I had some Playmobil circa mid '70s. King, queen, and knights. I was way into the Arthurian thing at the time, so I always thought of them as my King Arthur guys. I played with them quite a bit; but as someone else mentioned - then Star Wars came along. Pretty sure Han and the gang made it over to the planet of King Arthur more than once, tho.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎