Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CAPTAIN AMERICA: CIVIL WAR at 100% on RT...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • emeraldknight47
    Talkative Member
    • Jun 20, 2011

CAPTAIN AMERICA: CIVIL WAR at 100% on RT...

17 reviews are in and so far, they're all saying that this may be "the best MARVEL movie yet." Granted, that's only 17 people's opinions, but it's a pretty doggone good start. Of course you've got reviewers whose comments, while taken at face value are bright and shiny, who just love to nitpick and pretty much will play up ANY flaw, but no matter how small, they can find, but overall, the reviews I've read have me really jazzed to see this. Up to this point, courtesy of the Russo Bros., CA:TWS has been my favorite MARVEL movie (with GOTG a close second), but this movie may change that opinion. Guess we'll have to wait until the first weekend in May to find out...
    Last edited by emeraldknight47; Apr 15, '16, 12:38 PM.
    sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.
  • MIB41
    Eloquent Member
    • Sep 25, 2005

Looks very promising. I'm pumped to see it.

Comment

• Mr.Marion
      Permanent Member
      • Sep 15, 2014

I recently fell back in love with the movie going experience. I was going to wait for X-Men but now I'm in.

Lessss Gooooo

Last edited by Mr.Marion; Apr 15, '16, 3:01 PM.

Comment

• emeraldknight47
        Talkative Member
        • Jun 20, 2011

Noticed in a story over on COSMIC BOOK NEWS that Henry Cavill is touting Superman as being better than Captain America; that's like comparing apples to potatoes. Two completely different characters.

Anyway, the interesting part of the article was at the end when Matt McGloin poses the question as to whether or not CA:CW can top BvS's opening weekend take of $166 million. I don't know about anyone else, but I have a feeling CA:CW will likely have an opening weekend almost as big as the first AVENGERS movie. What do y'all think...?
        sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• PNGwynne
          Master of Fowl Play
          • Jun 5, 2008

^ Yes, and Cavill's Supes cannot touch Evan's Cap. Evans and Reeve are iconic performances IMO.
          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• enyawd72
            Maker of Monsters!
            • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by PNGwynne
            ^ Yes, and Cavill's Supes cannot touch Evan's Cap. Evans and Reeve are iconic performances IMO.
            You got that right.

Comment

• huedell
              Museum Ball Eater
              • Dec 31, 2003

Don't know the context of what Cavill's saying, but I always called Captain America the "Superman" of the Marvel Universe.

This comparison similarity I believed in was as far as the ethics and/or morals of both characters. They both appeared to be the far "wholesome" and "justice" geared heroes in their respective universes. Idealists in spite of a realistic world. OUR realistic world.

Regardless of what Cavill is actually saying, I'm not sure he's the most qualified to be looking at the Superman character the way I am. I mean, it's obvious in the Cavill movies, Superman isn't what I thought he was.

Now, Evans' "Captain America"? He IS what I thought he was.

So, yeah.
              "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• MIB41
                Eloquent Member
                • Sep 25, 2005

Yeah, when you consider Batman & Robin in 1997 is now whipping the per screen average gross over BVS with half the ticket price, no 3D or IMAX screens, and losing less screens at this time during the start of it's fourth week, that really gives you insight into this film's collapse. It gets scarier when you consider B&R was released in the summer with competition while BVS was not and has even 800 plus more screenings right now than Schumacher's film. For all the money this film collected it's first weekend to the frontloaded marketing, it's now in the history books as the biggest collapse of any film in the Batman franchise. Schumacher can step down. If I were Cavill, I would most likely remain humble and enjoy my paycheck. Neither he nor Snyder need anymore angst against that movie.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                  Master of Fowl Play
                  • Jun 5, 2008

^Typically for you, that's your very gentlemanly way of saying he needs to shut up while he's ahead lol.

Hue makes an interesting point, considering Superman/Thor have many parallels. But Thor has that attitude that got him banished to earth in the first place.
                  WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• MIB41
                    Eloquent Member
                    • Sep 25, 2005

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                    ^Typically for you, that's your very gentlemanly way of saying he needs to shut up while he's ahead lol.
                    Delivery is everything, but the context is undeniable. If you can't top the movie that supposedly "shuttered" the franchise, it's probably best to lay low until after the beating has subsided. I would add he's likely playing that hand from behind. I don't think WB could invent more of a PR debacle for the Justice League. It will be nothing short of pushing a boulder uphill if the Suicide Squad suffers a similar fate. Not only will Justice have no momentum, it will be building on a deficit. If Civil War takes off, it will be a big black eye for the DC brand that was suppose to shine bright this year. I'm not interested in opening weekend so much as the legs this film develops. That will tell us plenty about whether the public's appetite is waning or if it's strictly related to each project. Early buzz doesn't seem to show any collateral damage to Civil War for sharing the same genre as BVS, so we'll see how that plays out. I think there's more familiarity and expectation from the Marvel films so the general public seems to have placed some separation in the branding. That's my hope anyway. It would be nice if both worlds could flourish.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                      Master of Fowl Play
                      • Jun 5, 2008

It's rough for us DC fans, that's certain.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                        Verbose Member
                        • Mar 7, 2004

It's interesting to see how some of the Superman fan sites are really towing the line for BvS. I admire them for being behind their "team", but they are spinning things in a way that says "see it IS successful!" If you have to do that, you're in trouble.

Domestically, BvS is behind Iron Man 3, the third movie of a franchise, and the fourth movie with that actor/character combo. And Iron Man 3 cost much, MUCH less.

And Iron Man 3 is also divisive. Honestly, it's my least favorite of the Marvel Cinematic Universe films. Some people love it, a lot don't. But yet, it still made more money across the same number of days, and that's not factoring ticket sales have risen a bit in the few years since IM3.

BvS was the first ever cinematic meeting of Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman. This film SHOULD be doing Avengers numbers. It's not.

Audiences aren't dumb. They know Winter Soldier was a fantastic film. Many know this is behind the same people. They know this conflict has been gradually building across the films. It's not just us geeks that know this. The real movie goers know this. I think this is going to be big, and it will probably do well by word of mouth too.

Chris
                        sigpic

Comment

• MIB41
                          Eloquent Member
                          • Sep 25, 2005

^^^ Civil War is currently tracking to make over $200 million opening weekend. Estimates have it as high as $220 million.

Comment

• MIB41
                            Eloquent Member
                            • Sep 25, 2005

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                            It's interesting to see how some of the Superman fan sites are really towing the line for BvS. I admire them for being behind their "team", but they are spinning things in a way that says "see it IS successful!" If you have to do that, you're in trouble.

Domestically, BvS is behind Iron Man 3, the third movie of a franchise, and the fourth movie with that actor/character combo. And Iron Man 3 cost much, MUCH less.

And Iron Man 3 is also divisive. Honestly, it's my least favorite of the Marvel Cinematic Universe films. Some people love it, a lot don't. But yet, it still made more money across the same number of days, and that's not factoring ticket sales have risen a bit in the few years since IM3.

BvS was the first ever cinematic meeting of Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman. This film SHOULD be doing Avengers numbers. It's not.

Audiences aren't dumb. They know Winter Soldier was a fantastic film. Many know this is behind the same people. They know this conflict has been gradually building across the films. It's not just us geeks that know this. The real movie goers know this. I think this is going to be big, and it will probably do well by word of mouth too.

Chris
                            Great reflection Chris. It's an odd devotion to a cause when diehards of a film go back repeatedly to lend what they believe is financial aid to a film not accepted by the masses. As if that money could even buy the movie a commercial spot, let alone recoup expenses on the project itself. And as you so clearly remarked, that very action only underscores the desperation of a film and sends the wrong message to anyone who might be on the fence about seeing it. At the end of the day, this film will be profitable (once the merchandise and DVD sales are configured in). It just won't be the tent pole event WB was looking for. Plus it will carry a few blemishes by dropping farther and harder than B&R (or for that matter ANY film in the genre). So the end result will be the last thing WB was looking for. Plus the new concern is how much angst will the general audience take to Justice League since that film will be viewed as a sequel to BVS (with the same director). Can that movie be critic proof opening weekend or will audiences listen to critics and stay away if that movie takes a critical beating? WB are definitely rolling the dice high with what looks to be little room for error. It's one of the few times a studio has taken sides with a director when almost every measure of common sense would say to go a different direction. My guess is they financially and contractually committed themselves to Justice League before BVS came out and to undo or delay that production would only do more harm than staying the course. It's a scary example of "pick your poison".

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                              HULK SMASH!
                              • Apr 3, 2010

To put it in context, it was just a humorous tweet by Cavill accompanying a picture of him holding a microphone to a poster of Scarlett Johanssen.

The tweet itself:

"Reporting in from the Huawei P9 launch event in Shanghai and according to my sources Superman is indeed better than Captain America, #P9 #Huawei #Shanghai #ScarlettJohansson Chris Evans #girlscoutcookies."
                              PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎