X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dark Shadow
    Creature Of The Night
    • May 14, 2011

Spoilers
    I call Bull**** on John Logan's proclamations: "always only meant to be 3 seasons long" & "story was always singularly about Vanessa's life".

Season One, for anyone who took the time to watch it, was clearly a show with an ensemble cast (each possessing their own narrative) and multi-level story lines that just happened to intersect and intertwine.

Season Two, while it certainly did draw in more closely on Vanessa, there was still a great deal of focus on the rest of the cast and their own stories. Season Three was basically the same formula as Season Two, with perhaps a slight more interest on Ms. Ives. Hell, she was in, what, five whole minutes of the final two episodes?

If he wasn't planning a continuation into a fourth season, then why send Ferdinand Lyle to Cairo to investigate the tomb of Imhotep? And what exactly was the point of bringing Jekyll into the fold...simply to almost help Frankenstein recapture his first love? A complete waste of a character (and set design expense) if that was his singular purpose in the series.

Sorry, Mr. Logan, but I'm not convinced.

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

It's done!? Ach, that's sad, it seems (as DS etc. noted) rushed.
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
        Muddling through
        • Oct 4, 2008

the thing that bothered me the most, was no one had any kind of happy ending. it was a very depressing finish to the show. I mean, I get that it is a show about monsters but come on, could at least one being get a happy ending?

Comment

• PNGwynne
          Master of Fowl Play
          • Jun 5, 2008

Yes. I haven't seen season 3 yet, but though I expected all to end badly/sadly for most, I'd have liked at least some sort of peace for Vanessa.
          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
            Muddling through
            • Oct 4, 2008

spoilers.

they made it out that Vanessa found peace by finding God again, but I don't buy that. she was conflicted all along after the tried to renounce God. plus after she had realized who was Dracula, and was intent on killing him, the whole about face and allowing him to bite her just made no sense to me

Comment

• PNGwynne
              Master of Fowl Play
              • Jun 5, 2008

Interesting spoiler.

I will weigh in on this when I see the whole season on dvd. I believe redemption--both the success and failing of it--is a powerful theme in most classic horror. It's pretty worthless, in supernatural stories, to acknowledge evil without providing it's counterpoint and the friction between the two.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                Master of Fowl Play
                • Jun 5, 2008

Dammit. I'm still PO'd at how season 3 was (mis)handled. Season Two showed such improvement and promise.

It's like when HBO maddeningly cancelled Carnivale.

Comment

• Sideshow Spock
                  valar morghulis
                  • Mar 8, 2005

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                  It's like when HBO maddeningly cancelled Carnivale.
                  I just started watching this via HBO GO.. I'm like 13 years late to the party

Comment

• PNGwynne
                    Master of Fowl Play
                    • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by Sideshow Spock
                    I just started watching this via HBO GO.. I'm like 13 years late to the party
                    Ach, I LOVED that series.

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎