X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sideshow Spock
    valar morghulis
    • Mar 8, 2005

Game of Thrones: Season Six

With the new season right around the corner (and no "official" thread hanging around), thought I'd start a new thread..

Liam Cunningham (Davos) was on Conan last nite, and he showed the first (non-trailer) clip from the upcoming season. The clip starts at 1:49..

• palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

Yeah, with Penny Dreadful coming May 1st, my Sunday nights are about to get really, really bleak.
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Mikey
      Verbose Member
      • Aug 9, 2001

Never seen it, don't have any interest in middle-earth stories...

But the midget guy hosted SNL last week and I must say he is dang funny ... It was probably the best episode of SNL this season.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
        Muddling through
        • Oct 4, 2008

it is a really great show Mike. it's now really about the sword and sorcery stuff, if that is not your thing. although there is plenty of it. it's really about political intrigue and the alliances and frequent betrayals. with lots of gratuitous nudity and sex thrown in for good measure

Comment

• Bruce Banner
          HULK SMASH!
          • Apr 3, 2010

Love the show. Also working my way through the books.
          PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Sideshow Spock
            valar morghulis
            • Mar 8, 2005

Comment

• Hector
              el Hombre de Acero
              • May 19, 2003

Never seen the show...but have been intrigued on starting.

Kinda strange, because I devour most anything from HBO.

I did see one fight scene on YouTube...the Mountain man getting outclassed by this expert swordsman...but in the end...the Mountain dude makes mashed potatoes outta the dude's head...in turn...Mountain also dies...so it was a very bloody draw, lol.

Is the show like that throughout?

Were those two regular characters?

I hear more regulars die in Game of Thrones than regulars in the Walking Dead. Is that true?

The little actor, he's a damn good actor, I've seen him in a lot of movies. What role does he play?

And in a nutshell...what exactly is the show all about?
              sigpic

Comment

• cjefferys
                Duke of Gloat
                • Apr 23, 2006

Really looking forward to the new season, I love the show! And now it looks like the show for the most part will be surpassing the book. Since I've read all the books, this will be the first time the show will be unknown territory for me, I'm looking forward to finally being surprised like the non book readers have been!

Comment

• sprytel
                  Talkative Member
                  • Jun 26, 2009

Originally posted by Hector
                  Never seen the show...but have been intrigued on starting.

Kinda strange, because I devour most anything from HBO.

I did see one fight scene on YouTube...the Mountain man getting outclassed by this expert swordsman...but in the end...the Mountain dude makes mashed potatoes outta the dude's head...in turn...Mountain also dies...so it was a very bloody draw, lol.

Is the show like that throughout?
                  So that is a big scene (and a big spoiler... even though I know you tend to be cool with them). But yeah, that scene is a pretty good microcosm of the show. Well-acted, lots of action, lots of drama, lots of unexpected turns.

Were those two regular characters?
                  Yep. The Mountain is in it from the beginning. Oberyn was introduced as a series regular at the start of that season, you fall in love with the character... and then... that.

I hear more regulars die in Game of Thrones than regulars in the Walking Dead. Is that true?
                  Both have a pretty high body count. But Game of Thrones is not afraid to mess with a main character if it makes for a good story.
                  I'd say the other big difference between the two is Thrones is a 10 episode season. So the plot stays on rails way more than the more leisurely pace of Walking Dead.

The little actor, he's a damn good actor, I've seen him in a lot of movies. What role does he play?
                  Peter Dinklage plays Tyrion Lannister. Tyrion's dad is kind of the Dick Cheney of the realm. His older siblings are twins: his sister married King Robert and became the Queen, her brother is Captain of the King's Guard. Tyrion is the black sheep of the family. People underestimate him because of his statute. But he has brains, and wit... and a love for booze and prostitutes.

And in a nutshell...what exactly is the show all about?
                  It is not your stereotypical fantasy genre. There are no bands of purehearted adventurers off to defeat the evil wizard. The characters are morally "grey" and 3 dimensional, rather than "black" or "white". And the story is all about the intrigue and maneuverings of the kingdom. Lots of politics and sex and violence and so forth... but all in service of those interesting, complex characters. The hard part isn't getting onto the throne, but how do you keep power once you have it?

Based on other things I have heard you rave about, I think you would really dig it once you started watching.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                    HULK SMASH!
                    • Apr 3, 2010

Definitely one of the most riveting shows on TV. Full of ultra violence, gore, brutality, sex, nudity (lots of that), Wars of the Roses inspired political maneuvering and hard-edged fantasy elements.
                    PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                      Muddling through
                      • Oct 4, 2008

and there are dragons, did we mention that? the mother of dragons is absolutely gorgeous and was married to our future Aquaman during the first season. Definitely check it out Hector

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                        HULK SMASH!
                        • Apr 3, 2010

PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Hector
                          el Hombre de Acero
                          • May 19, 2003

Ok, that alone is going to make me watch it ^^^^^

...and no, not talking about the dragon...

Thanks for all the info, guys....

sigpic

Comment

• JediJaida
                            Talkative Member
                            • Jun 14, 2008

I'm beginning to take an interest in it, and I have held off for the past five years!

It was watching the clip of the Red Wedding on youtube that turned me off to it. But, I figure if it get's too bloody, I can always change the channel until the next segment comes on.
                            JediJaida

Comment

• sprytel
                              Talkative Member
                              • Jun 26, 2009

Man... What is up with you guys watching the biggest spoilers on YouTube!?!

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎