• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • huedell
    Museum Ball Eater
    • Dec 31, 2003

Ah...

One of my favorite topics...

And I even changed my cherished Superman Vs. The Elite Pa Kent sig to better reflect my thoughts on "clashing w/others on this forum" in the new Hateful Eight quote below to better reflect my attitude when people are ruffled by what appears to come off as "deliberately maliciously antagonistic" posts on my part. Yeah, maybe, like PNGwynne, I should consider considering more consideration in my verbage before posting more often. I try my best... but, hey---- I'm impatient.

Basically: Nothing personal is meant with my posts... I post today, and let animosity garnered in exchanges drop by tomorrow... and I apologize if I offend anyone to hurtful degree... I apologize, because I'm just happy to have a place to go to rant and rave with like-minded people (more "rant" than "rave"), despite apparently not appearing to actually feel that way to many folks here at many times.

Whereas, some might go online to "avoid conflict" found in "real" life... I tend to seek out, not "conflict" per say, but passionate debate about things that I'm into---"toys", "movies" or whatever.

In "real" life---how many "fellow nerds" do I have the kind of quick access to that we have in this forum? Not many.

And I wanna talk about what I don't like in the newest superhero movie, or a discuss the merits of a controversial aspect of a retro-geared toy with people who can actually hold their own on a topic that they know about and care about as much as I do (or even more than I!)----even if we don't always agree on the thing we're discussing. Why don't we agree? That's an interesting thing to me.

I'll conclude by paraphrasing one of my heroes...

On rock music critiquing, David Lee Roth once said : "Sometimes debating about rock music can actually be more fun than listening to it."

Rock on!
    "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• Monstar
      Museum Super Collector
      • Mar 6, 2008

In all fairness to the people here, it is a LOT less vicious that other hobbies, LOL. I'm on some facebook groups of other collectibles and man, its brutal.

But still, There are ways to present criticism but could possibly result in positive changes. "you suck, your product sucks" isn't one of them.

Originally posted by Hedji
      The internet was built for criticism. Like it or not, everyone gets a voice.

If I ever reach the point where I feel something is unjust, too personal, or bothers my mind after I step away from the computer, then I take a break for a while.

Real Life > Virtual Life
      This is true. Everyone does get a voice. But then just because one can say something - it doesn't mean that they should LOL
      http://twitter.com/MonstarPR

Comment

• Toycade
        Museum Super Collector
        • Jul 8, 2014

I will say this about FTC. They do pay attention to you, the consumer as well as me the retailer. I speak to them every week and share ideas about the future. Many of those ideas come directly from your feedback on this very board. So even when a product is delivered and it is not to your liking, keep sharing. But also, please be mindful that positive comments are needed too. Nobody wants a figure with a head that is too big. Noted. But what else DO you want? THAT is the info I am always looking for. I have to gaze into my crystal ball and make projections about your buying habits 8-12 months from now. Happy or sad, keep the feedback coming so we don't all end up with "One Day At A Time" figures in 2018.

Comment

• palitoy
          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
          • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Toycade
          Happy or sad, keep the feedback coming so we don't all end up with "One Day At A Time" figures in 2018.
          You say that like it's a bad thing.
          Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
          http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Toycade
            Museum Super Collector
            • Jul 8, 2014

Maybe good for you but bad for me when I am building a house out of them and trying to feed them to my kids.

Comment

• jwyblejr
              galactic yo-yo
              • Apr 6, 2006

Originally posted by palitoy
              You say that like it's a bad thing.
              No kidding. Who wouldn't want a Snyder figure?

Comment

• jeffbearco
                Persistent Member
                • Mar 27, 2011

On that note, I think the next BIG figure that a lot of us have our hopes build on is the Wonder Woman wave. If they were ever going to come out with a new female body, that would be the time. WW will probably gather every bit as much attention (positive or negative) as Batgirl.

The head needs to be in scale. If it is done properly in scale, an almost endless series of variants can come from it. Because I know it has been a problem, I'd actually be OK with a long haired Sue Storm head with a new paint app. It is a good head that is in scale and fits the drawings as well as any new sculpt we have seen. That would also make it cheaper to produce since the head is already there! If the head is not up to standards, the Sue Storm will be the go to head to replace it.

My preference would be for the tiara to be a separate piece like the original 12" mego figure. That leads to even more variant possibilities. WW has changed her costume multiple times over the years and people will pay for them.

evolution_wonder_woman_2_by_boybluesdcu-d73uuzs.jpg

The costume needs to be as on point as possible. Many of us will buy multiples of her. If the costume is done well enough, we would even pay later for multiples of a variant done with the yellow parts done in gold. The Super Friends WW looks pretty good and shows that FTC was paying attention, at least on the pajamas comments.

So, WW is what I see as the next big either success or failure!

JeffBearCO

Comment

• lilbrosj66
                  Persistent Member
                  • Jul 4, 2011

I have to say, considering how many of us frequent these boards, MOST of the debates, conversations and critiques have been fair and have not gone too far. For the most part. I would like to think that we are all adult enough to not make it personal with anyone. If so, we need to step back. Go work on a figure and relax already!

That being said, we are going to read opinions on here that we don't like or agree with. We don't have to agree with everyone, but we each have our opinion and want to share it. That'a one of the reasons we are here.

I for one have been very vocal about my disappointment with the Batgirl '66 figure and I stand by my personal opinion of her. Nothing is going to change that. I have also been vocal about some of the figures that I think are home-runs (Hello! '66 Joker, Freeze and Tut anyone? C'mon! Those are FTC gold!).

Balance and respect people! Balance and respect.

Comment

• lilbrosj66
                    Persistent Member
                    • Jul 4, 2011

Originally posted by jeffbearco
                    On that note, I think the next BIG figure that a lot of us have our hopes build on is the Wonder Woman wave. If they were ever going to come out with a new female body, that would be the time. WW will probably gather every bit as much attention (positive or negative) as Batgirl.

The head needs to be in scale. If it is done properly in scale, an almost endless series of variants can come from it. Because I know it has been a problem, I'd actually be OK with a long haired Sue Storm head with a new paint app. It is a good head that is in scale and fits the drawings as well as any new sculpt we have seen. That would also make it cheaper to produce since the head is already there! If the head is not up to standards, the Sue Storm will be the go to head to replace it.

My preference would be for the tiara to be a separate piece like the original 12" mego figure. That leads to even more variant possibilities. WW has changed her costume multiple times over the years and people will pay for them.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18088[/ATTACH]

The costume needs to be as on point as possible. Many of us will buy multiples of her. If the costume is done well enough, we would even pay later for multiples of a variant done with the yellow parts done in gold. The Super Friends WW looks pretty good and shows that FTC was paying attention, at least on the pajamas comments.

So, WW is what I see as the next big either success or failure!

JeffBearCO
                    I have to agree. The comments about the '66 Batgirl, mine included, may pale in comparison to those we will see with the WW line.

We are nothing if not passionate about our figures. I think we can all agree on that.

Comment

• jeffbearco
                      Persistent Member
                      • Mar 27, 2011

Especially figures like this that depict iconic images of our childhoods. Every man here was once a boy enamored with Batgirl and Wonder Woman.

Even though this is just an 8" piece of plastic, it is still a remembrance of that childhood ideal.

JeffBearCO

Comment

• Bronxboykev
                        Permanent Member
                        • Mar 7, 2011

I know I am in the Minority here so Rip into me if you will, It has been done before on this subject so...
                        I had stopped commenting on FTC Products for quite some time now... When they came out I was their Biggest supporter both verbally and financially and with that I was also their Biggest critic... and got SLAMMED for being a critic... I do not Agree entirely on How they Listen to us... They listen to what THEY want to hear... About Figures wanted and Play sets and Vehicles, but they do not listen to anything about the Quality Issues on their Figures... Here we are almost 3 years into Figures and I still see the same complaints... Big Heads, Loose Heads, Bad Bodies, Loose fitting outfits etc... So they really can't be listening that intently... Prices have Risen but the Quality has not. In the beginning no matter what was happening quality wise I Committed to the Batman 66 line, but now I find myself Dragging to buy the current Batgirl, Chief O'hara, RC Batman series. Why they are still making or Attempting to make Fist Fighters is beyond me, the first series was bad enough then to do un made figures that Collectors have been clamoring for like Green Lantern, Flash and Martian Man hunter an Injustice by putting the Series on those bodies is just Embarrassing. I love seeing the Superfriends Line come to Fruition but once again have been very apprehensive about buying them only to have to leave them in the Clam shells like all of the other Non 66 Figures I have Purchased... FTC is really going to have to floor me before I commit to another one of their Figures, I am hoping to see some of these figures up close at Mego Meet and go from there.
                        Do I want FTC to Succeed... Heck yes... Most of my and Others here customs in 1 way or another have their Capes or Boots or Gloves or belts etc incorporated into their creations... so where would we be without them.

GREAT DAY ALL

Comment

• scott metzger
                          Persistent Member
                          • Jul 9, 2007

As one who has both praised and panned FTC's efforts, I felt i needed to chime in here.

First, let me say that, for the most part, the discussions here are some of the more civilized in the internet collecting world; even the more, shall we say, energetic discussions tend to stay civil, for the most part.

As for he discussions, I've seen most folks here pretty well just calling it as they see it. Some like this offering and not another, and some are passionate about their views because they are passionate about the hobby. As long as things don't descend into fifth grade name calling, which seems pretty rare here, I think it simply shows that we have a great love for our precious Megos, whether they be classic or modern re-dos.

The one thing that does grate on me a slight bit is when folks act like no one should be complaining or saying anything bad about any of the stuff, that we should just be glad we get anything. Were we getting these things shipped to our doorsteps for free, this might be a very valid point. But at 25-30 bucks a pop, the customer is basically paying for the right to critique the work their hard earned money is paying for. And, truthfully, the company making the figures should be glad for the feedback, as long as it is civil and thoughtful. As has been stated in this thread, "Your stuff sucks!" meets neither of those criteria, and provides no useful information for the company to act on.

And. yes, sometimes frustration comes through in folks' posts. When there are issues that have been brought up constantly over a period of years now, and the same problem keeps coming up time and again, the back and forth is going to get a bit more forceful. Again, paying customers here, and when what we are paying goes up and the quality goes down, or when the aforementioned long term problems are not resolved, such reactions are to be expected. And those who propose simply saying it once and leaving it at that, it doesn't work. I've been around longer than my hobby, and I can attest to one, inexorable fact: if you want a toy maker to change something, it is, far more often than not, going to take a constant, unwavering effort to see any results. In other words, the best way to ensure a specific problem continues is to stop complaining about it. I've seen it many times in recent years with large companies like Mattel; it takes an almost constant stream of near badgering to see improvements, and often a long period of such badgering. So, yes, I, for example, will keep bringing up the oversized noggins every time FTC makes one; this is not because of some deeply rooted mania on my part, but the very rational realization that you usually have to keep hammering away until something is done. If you don't, it's the next best thing to a certainty that nothing will be done.

If folks didn't care a whole lot about these figures, they wouldn't bother making waves about them. And, let's face it, FTC's output is aimed at us; we are the market they are selling too. Joe Average out there is unlikely to even know or remember what a Mego is, much less want to spend 30 bucks for a figure like it. The die hards are the main market here, as is true with a number of collector oriented lines today. Keeping that in mind, FTC would do well to keep their fingers on the pulse here and other similar sites, because this is where a likely large portion of their potential buyers are.

Comment

• jayraytee
                            Career Member
                            • May 27, 2011

I do agree with that, the squeaky wheel gets the oil. If this place is a sampling of FTC's market (and I think it is), then they SHOULD want to know if the customer is unhappy with the product. And it usually does take a lot of feedback for a long time to make a difference. If the major noggin issue was brought up once and never talked about again.. it would be seen as a non-issue.
                            My posts were needlessly deleted ...

Comment

• Riderfan
                              Megos are cool
                              • Feb 14, 2012

I was apprehensive to start this thread but I'm glad I did-it was started in frustration that had built up but I feel a lot better now. I could try to explain but that would be a lot of typing.

This may sound corny but the best part to me is that opinions have been expressed freely yet no one has gotten into any arguments.

Well other than if in 2018 there will be a market for Valerie Bertinelli or MacKenzie Phillips figures. I'd like to weigh in on this & say 'no'.

One thing thing I should clear up-I mentioned 'John Q Public' as a market. That was a very bad choice of words, I was referring to people like my brother-in-law, he's reliving his youth buying Remegos that interest him. He doesn't care his Wyatt Earp is strung too tight or his Alfred has an oversized head. He knows about this forum, but couldn't be bothered.

So my point is there are other people out there buying this stuff. How big of a market is it? I dunno, just saying it exists.

Again, I appreciate everyone who took the time to reply to this thread.

K
                              I've come here to chew bubblegum & kick ***. And I'm all out of bubblegum

(Rowdy Roddy Piper in 'They Live' 1988)

Comment

• The Bat
                                Batman Fanatic
                                • Jul 14, 2002

Despite the "miss-steps" and GIANT heads...I'm still a fan of FTC. REALLY looking forward to The Monkees!
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎