Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Rare Is The Red Torso 8-inch Spider-Man?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JamesB.
    • Dec 15, 2013

How Rare Is The Red Torso 8-inch Spider-Man?

Hi all,

My apologies if this has been discussed in another thread, but I am wondering if someone could please tell me whether the 8-inch red torso Spider-Man is rare or not; and if so, does this make it more valuable?

I had read in Benjamin Holcomb's book that most Spider-Man figures have flesh coloured torsos, but I could not locate any info in the book or online stating whether this has any impact on value.

I ask because I had sold off my 8-inch Spider-Man on a 1979 Pin Pin card and am wondering whether I took a loss by forgetting to mention that it was a red torso version.

Thank you very much for your time, I really appreciate any info anyone can provide.

-James
  • imp
    Mego Book Author
    • Apr 20, 2003

Originally posted by JamesB.
    Hi all,

My apologies if this has been discussed in another thread, but I am wondering if someone could please tell me whether the 8-inch red torso Spider-Man is rare or not; and if so, does this make it more valuable?

I had read in Benjamin Holcomb's book that most Spider-Man figures have flesh coloured torsos, but I could not locate any info in the book or online stating whether this has any impact on value.

I ask because I had sold off my 8-inch Spider-Man on a 1979 Pin Pin card and am wondering whether I took a loss by forgetting to mention that it was a red torso version.

Thank you very much for your time, I really appreciate any info anyone can provide.

-James
    It's unlikely you took a loss by not mentioning the red torso. I have not heard of Collectors seeking out this particular variation (other than those looking to build an 'Army' of Mego Spider-Man variations). At some point after 1976, with the introduction of Human Torch in the 4th Wave Heroes, Mego realized they could use torsos cast in red plastic for either Spider-Man or Torch. I don't know that it would have been a cost-saving measure, probably more a convenience for the factories doing figure assembly. It's kind of a cool quirk, but again, I have never heard of it impacting the value like, say, the "Sewn Sleeves" Spider-Man outfit does.

- Benjamin

Comment

• Bronxboykev
      Permanent Member
      • Mar 7, 2011

Originally posted by imp
      It's unlikely you took a loss by not mentioning the red torso. I have not heard of Collectors seeking out this particular variation (other than those looking to build an 'Army' of Mego Spider-Man variations). At some point after 1976, with the introduction of Human Torch in the 4th Wave Heroes, Mego realized they could use torsos cast in red plastic for either Spider-Man or Torch. I don't know that it would have been a cost-saving measure, probably more a convenience for the factories doing figure assembly. It's kind of a cool quirk, but again, I have never heard of it impacting the value like, say, the "Sewn Sleeves" Spider-Man outfit does.

- Benjamin
      I agree with Ben here, Neither rare or in High demand as MEGO was the King of re purposing their materials to save on expenses.

Comment

• JamesB.
        • Dec 15, 2013

Hi Benjamin,

Okay, that's great. I'm glad to hear this.

Thank you so much for the information. I truly appreciate you taking the time to respond to my question!

Take care, and thanks again!

-James

Comment

• JamesB.
          • Dec 15, 2013

Hi Bronxboykev,

Thank you very much for your response, I really appreciate it! Have a great evening.

-James

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎