X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

The head sculpt is perfection.

For about 35 years, I've longed for the "perfect" Mego Daredevil head. My first custom was a DD made from a Cap head and Shazam! bodysuit. Since then, and especially since joining here, I've auditioned many DD sculpts. A few were close but never quite had that neutral yet expressive quality I consider characteristic of Mego at its best. If that makes any sense lol. Admittedly, I'm picky and a bit obsessive about these matters.

This Emce release has fulfilled my longing for a proper Mego-compatible Daredevil. I'm so pleased. Thank you, DST and DM, but especially thanks to Andy. Every time I look at it, this sculpt makes me smile: I think back to those days in jr. high when, daydreaming while mowing the yard or making a sketch in my note-book, I tried to design and plan my own Megos. My whims exceeded my grasp, but someone else got it Just Right. I'm grateful, truly.
    Last edited by PNGwynne; Aug 22, '16, 9:41 PM. Reason: typo
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by daz71
      i think for a what mego would have done look i would remove the shorts completely as mego didn't use sewn in shorts when the suit was mainly one colour ie cap,invisible girl,mr.fantastic.
      Good point.
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• PNGwynne
        Master of Fowl Play
        • Jun 5, 2008

I assembled my yellow Daredevil on a vintage body today. The hands fit well and it looks terrific.

A suggestion: I used trimmed Emce Romulan boots on my figure, they are actually molded in burgundy and give a great "Mego" vibe. I think Doc has these available in his site.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
          Eloquent Member
          • Jan 19, 2008

Originally posted by PNGwynne
          I assembled my yellow Daredevil on a vintage body today. The hands fit well and it looks terrific.

A suggestion: I used trimmed Emce Romulan boots on my figure, they are actually molded in burgundy and give a great "Mego" vibe. I think Doc has these available in his site.
          And where are your pictures to show us all?

Comment

• PNGwynne
            Master of Fowl Play
            • Jun 5, 2008

Oh dear God don't start that up, there's a whole thread about photo fascism somewhere here. Hugs.

Comment

• SeattleEd
              SynthoRes Transmigrator
              • Oct 24, 2007

Comment

• TRDouble
                Permanent Member
                • Jul 10, 2012

I wasn't thrilled with Daredevil at first, but once I opened him and got hits boots on, he turned out pretty well below the belt (the head sculpt is just amazing!). I still have issues with the design...

I don't like the forearm cuffs. It's obvious that Daredevil wears gloves and I would have preferred gloves, especially since the cuffs are darker in color, so they match nothing. CTVT red molded gloves actually match pretty well, but you need to remove the cuffs to make them fit. And the downside to gloves are that he cannot hold his billy club. So that's the trade-off. If this ever goes down in price like the other sets, I may buy another one to remove the cuffs and go with the gloves instead.

The belt is too bulky, IMO. I would have liked a nice, flat red belt with a buckle. Simple. I bought a red Robin belt. I know it has texture to it, but I thought it would still work. Unfortunately, unlike the CTVT gloves, the belt is a shade lighter and I don't like the contrast in color. Not surprising since even the yellow belts are a bit translucent. Worth a shot though. If I can dig out my Famous Cover Daredevil, I might give his belt a shot on this DD.

Just waiting on a pair of red shorts from Doc Mego to see if those are the right shade and any improvement over the stock shorts. As is though, not a bad figure.

Comment

• Figure8
                  Museum Patron
                  • May 18, 2016

I'm still on the fence about DD. I haven't bought any of the previous sets since they all seemed to have some serious issues and the price tag is just off-putting. But then Daredevil has always been one of my 'Dream-Megos'. The sculpt really looks perfect, but I would have preferred a 'no gloves approach' with just red hands. And the belt does look bulky ...

Comment

• ovenmitt
                    Persistent Member
                    • May 26, 2009

I finally caved in and bought 2 Daredevil sets off eBay last night. I have 2 of each of every retro Marvel set except think geek Cap Set. Daredevil looks to be best yet. Red costume is my favorite and also like yellow 1st appearance. I've always loved secret ID figures, so Matt Murdock is much appreciated. I can't wait to get these nby next week! I hope Punisher is next. What characters are pictured on Daredevils box?

EMCE and DST need to let us know which few characters or more are coming next.

Comment

• hedrap
                      Permanent Member
                      • Feb 10, 2009

Does anyone have any box shots? I can't find any online.

Edit: never mind. Just found the up close pics.
                      Last edited by hedrap; Sep 5, '16, 4:16 PM.

Comment

• TRDouble
                        Permanent Member
                        • Jul 10, 2012

I did some futzing with my Daredevil. I replaced the shorts with a pair from Doc Mego. I am using the red belt from CTVT for now, even though the I don't like the translucent-ness of it. I still need to find time to dig for my FC Daredevil to see if that belt works.

If I ever get a second set, I will play with the arms and maybe using molded gloves, like FTC's Super Powers Flash figure. But this will do for now:

DST Daredevil 2.jpg

Comment

• PNGwynne
                          Master of Fowl Play
                          • Jun 5, 2008

^Looks nice!

Comment

• daz71
                            Persistent Member
                            • Jul 19, 2014

Originally posted by TRDouble
                            I did some futzing with my Daredevil. I replaced the shorts with a pair from Doc Mego. I am using the red belt from CTVT for now, even though the I don't like the translucent-ness of it. I still need to find time to dig for my FC Daredevil to see if that belt works.

If I ever get a second set, I will play with the arms and maybe using molded gloves, like FTC's Super Powers Flash figure. But this will do for now:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19379[/ATTACH]
                            a castaway belt might be good and red mego hero boots.

Comment

• TRDouble
                              Permanent Member
                              • Jul 10, 2012

Originally posted by daz71
                              a castaway belt might be good and red mego hero boots.
                              I tried the red mego hero boots and they work and give the figure a even more retro feel, but I actually like the shorter Castaway boots they used here. They look really good.

Looking at the castaway belts, a red one might be a good option. Unfortunately, none are to be had at the 8inchsuperstore.com.

Comment

• TRDouble
                                Permanent Member
                                • Jul 10, 2012

I need to tighten the belt, but even with the faux gloves, I like DD much better now.

DST Daredevil Final Mod.jpg

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎