X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pmwasson
    Maker
    • Sep 12, 2007

Deadpool pictures

Got my Deadpool today. I like the modern red figure, but the rest ... meh.

The display box looks nice and is pretty much the same as the previous figures. The retro box has the proper window so you can see Deadpool's head and the katanas are nice.

The back of the box shows a version of Deadpool you can't make with the set as the belts and straps are not brown and don't come with any gun holsters.

I'm not too happy with the retro figure. First why include flesh hands? Inside the pamphlet that comes with him they show red hands. Also, these are the only hands included in the whole set that can tightly hold a katana.
    I really wish Diamond would sew a collar on the retro costumes, because the flesh color top of the chest poking out really makes it look bad. Why not just include a red body and hands? That would have solved both issues. Also the suit is really baggy in the crotch. It hangs down about 1/2" which really doesn't look good. Also, the pamphlet goes into great detail about "what would Mego do" (WWMD), but I think Mego would have used the correct color body, would of have a suit that fit and would have included a belt with pouches. I get the impression that WWMD just mean, who cares if its crap.

The modern Deadpool on a Type-S body is much nicer! The suit fits great. The head really doesn't fit as the neck gap is way too little but I just sort of squished it on, but since its not the body type that comes with the figure its hard to complain about that. The accessories are nice, especially the guns that fit perfectly in the trigger hand. I was hoping I could add the knifes, grenades and extra ammo pouches to the figure as they all have pegs coming out of them, but I couldn't find anywhere to plug them in. The pamphlet explains that these actually are from a different toy line. Instead of being impressed with how clever they are in re-using accessories, it just makes me mad that they threw in a bunch of crap to justice the price point that doesn't even work with the figure. I ended up sticking the knifes in the boots, which is okay, but have the pegs sticking out. The knifes look like they might come out of the the sheath, but I couldn't figure out how and didn't want to break them.

I didn't dress up the X-Force version yet, but I assume the suit will fit just as nicely as the red one. Also, the X-Force version comes with white fists, which you don't get in red.

I got to stop reading the pamphlet that comes with these as they just make me disappointed in what I ended up getting.

Personally, I'd rather pay $80 for one highly detailed perfect modern 8" Deadpool with accessories that make sense like Mezco is doing at 6", instead of 1 nice figure and bunch of extras that I won't end up using.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by pmwasson; Mar 22, '16, 9:13 PM.
    sigpic LaserMego
  • Teemu
    Persistent Member
    • Dec 15, 2010

Yeah,I am buying this deadpool for the better updated modern Deadpool....that retro version just plain ole sucks! most of the set is a waste of time

Comment

• Krypt0nite
      Radioactive!
      • Feb 13, 2010

I dunno...

I have no interest in the Deadpool character, but I really like the retro version warts and all enough that I'd be interested in buying a loose one---it just strikes me as something I'd have liked as a kid.

Comment

• sprytel
        Talkative Member
        • Jun 26, 2009

Dang. After the movie and Barrett's awesome Deadpool COTW, I was really excited about this one...
        But between this and Batgirl... it has been a rough week for "must have" figures.

Still thinking about ways to customize them into better versions... but really no excuse for a figure at this price point to need it.

Comment

• Teemu
          Persistent Member
          • Dec 15, 2010

Originally posted by Krypt0nite
          I dunno...

I have no interest in the Deadpool character, but I really like the retro version warts and all enough that I'd be interested in buying a loose one---it just strikes me as something I'd have liked as a kid.
          I may sell my retro one then

Originally posted by sprytel
          Dang. After the movie and Barrett's awesome Deadpool COTW, I was really excited about this one...
          But between this and Batgirl... it has been a rough week for "must have" figures.

Still thinking about ways to customize them into better versions... but really no excuse for a figure at this price point to need it.
          Batgirl is must have after the body swap.....she has a nice costume too,much better in person

Comment

• Krypt0nite
            Radioactive!
            • Feb 13, 2010

Teemu, if you decide to sell the retro let me know.

Comment

• ovenmitt
              Persistent Member
              • May 26, 2009

Thanks for the review. The Modern Deadpool is great but not $80 just for him. Disappointed in Retro version's bare hands. Have no interest in mutilated Wade Wilson head on X-Force costume. I'll pass and wait for Daredevil I like all 3 of his figures. Then Punisher.

I bought Marvel Select 7" Deadpool MOC for $24 FREE shipping off ebay last month and he's awesome enough!

Comment

• MIB41
                Eloquent Member
                • Sep 25, 2005

Thanks for a great review! I purchased a FTC red body for the Modern Pool, so I'll use those hands to swap out on the Retro figure. That looks like another factory error. I purchased a custom Pool head which I painted white and black for the X-Force costume. Can't wait to get mine, if Amok will ever get them in stock. Looks like EE got an early batch. Thanks for sharing your pics!!

Comment

• daz71
                  Persistent Member
                  • Jul 19, 2014

the modern one looks great.i think i'd put a couple of stitches in the retro one to tighten up the suit.love the modern head & accessories.anyone wanting to sell the modern head & accessories pm me maybe the suit too.see what i was saying a couple of weeks ago no one makes leg holsters here's a figure crying out for one.
                  Last edited by daz71; Mar 23, '16, 6:39 AM.

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
                    Moderation Engineer
                    • Aug 14, 2003

My strategy is that I get two of these - one for the shelf that stays intact, and one that I open and tweak to my tastes. Mine haven't arrived yet, but from these pics there's a little less to work with than what I expected. Not a fan of the big left eye at all. I assume that's to make the head seem more expressive and differentiate it more from the other one. I'm always a buyer, but by the time I get these done I'll have a chunk of time and money in parts and crotch mods. Still looking forward to Spidey 2099.

I saw a couple different Ninja Turtles at CTS this weekend that I almost bought for Deadpool weapons, then passed because I figured the ones included in the set would be good enough. Damn.

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
                      Often invisible
                      • Jul 18, 2002

Originally posted by EMCE Hammer
                      Not a fan of the big left eye at all. I assume that's to make the head seem more expressive and differentiate it more from the other one.
                      It wasn't a mistake, I'll say that. He does that a lot in the comics.
                      Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• MIB41
                        Eloquent Member
                        • Sep 25, 2005

^^^ Yep. That's what actually sold me on getting the set. I wanted an expressive face that elicits his personality. Steve you should see the different eyes for the Hot Toys version. Those are wild brotha.

Comment

• Spyweb007
                          Persistent Member
                          • Apr 18, 2006

I like these marvel sets a lot, and think the modern versions on all of them have looked great, but the retro Deadpool looks less like what Mego would have done and more like what happens when I start putting together a custom figure but don't have everything I need yet. What's there is good, but the things that are missing like the red hands, a gunbelt and some boots or shoes would make the figure look much less "unfinished". It's easy enough to get the pieces needed to make the retro version look nice, but at this price point, one shouldn't have to. Of course I will get one if I can and probably tweak the figures to my liking, I still think really well planned and thought out customizing kits where you can make either well known characters or your own creations would be a great way to grow the customizing hobby, and get mego style figures into more stores (places like AC Moore and Michaels Craft stores, Hobby Lobby, etc).

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
                            Moderation Engineer
                            • Aug 14, 2003

Originally posted by CrimsonGhost
                            It wasn't a mistake, I'll say that. He does that a lot in the comics.
                            I have more faith in the EMCE guys than to think it was a mistake, but I had to look twice. It's a little too subtle IMO, but again - I'm a buyer. It's not like the head is six sizes too big.

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
                              Moderation Engineer
                              • Aug 14, 2003

Originally posted by MIB41
                              ^^^ Yep. That's what actually sold me on getting the set. I wanted an expressive face that elicits his personality. Steve you should see the different eyes for the Hot Toys version. Those are wild brotha.
                              I just checked 'em out. Nice. Deadpool is one of those characters where I could break my self-imposed 8 inch-only rule and give him a standalone spot on a shelf.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎