X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hedrap
    Permanent Member
    • Feb 10, 2009

I think this just about sums it up...

In fact, the film's second weekend plummet is on par with last year's Fantastic Four, which dropped 68.2% in its second weekend, ultimately delivering a multiplier of 2.18. That said, Fantastic Four received an even worse reception than Batman v Superman, receiving only a "C-" CinemaScore compared to BvS's "B" and a 9% RottenTomatoes score compared to Batman v Superman's 29%. Should BvS also finish with a 2.18 multiplier that would still result in a domestic run of $362.8 million, enough to rank in the top 30 all-time.

Next weekend, however, will serve as a big test to see if there is any bouncing back. Deathly Hallows - Part 2 fell 53.7% in its third weekend and ended with a 2.25 multiplier. Another good comparison may be X-Men: The Last Stand, which dropped 66.9% in its second weekend followed by 52.7% in its third weekend, ultimately finishing with a 2.28 multiplier. Perhaps some of the film's second weekend drop could be attributed to the NCAA Tournament's Final Four games on Saturday night. If so, that may help Batman v Superman exhibit some third weekend stamina, helping push it toward a domestic run over $370 million.

Internationally, Batman v Superman added an estimated $85 million this weekend as its worldwide cume now climbs to $682.8 million. From a worldwide perspective, the film has already surpassed the entire global returns from films such as Man of Steel ($668m), Thor: The Dark World ($644.6m), Iron Man 2 ($623.9m) and Iron Man ($585.2m) on the all-time list where it currently ranks #84. All that said, while it looked like the film might become the 25th to ever cross $1 billion worldwide, its chances at crossing that mark aren't looking so good any longer.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
      Muddling through
      • Oct 4, 2008

there is no doubt the movie is making money at the WW box office. it is enough to get the other movies made but they do need some serious course correction. I took my wife and son to see it today. I enjoyed it, but like others have said, it was half an hour too long. Seeing WW on screen was awesome and Gal Gadot is beautiful. I found it amusing though how they augmented her breasts when she was WW. Aquaman looks awesome. Flash, I actually had a hard time understanding what he was even sayin the dream sequence with all the background noise. DD looked terrible, even my wife who has no idea who the character is said he looked like an Orc
      Last edited by Nostalgiabuff; Apr 3, '16, 4:49 PM.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
        Muddling through
        • Oct 4, 2008

$52.4 million for the weekend. not terrible but still a big drop. either way, it is well over 600 mil worldwide box office

Comment

• libby 1957dog
          Persistent Member
          • Sep 3, 2009

ill just leave this here lol

Comment

• Mr.Marion
            Permanent Member
            • Sep 15, 2014

How does this movie compare to Batman forever and Green Lantern?

Comment

• clemso
              Talkative Member
              • Aug 8, 2001

I still think this movie has the legs to take $1 billion world wide.

Comment

• mego maniac mark
                Career Member
                • Aug 3, 2010

^^ I agree. The movie is well worth seeing on the big screen. It didn't meet everyone's expectations, but a good time can be had for enjoying it for what it is.
                I have seen it twice and will go again. They got my money , lol
                mego's befo ho's

Comment

• huedell
                  Museum Ball Eater
                  • Dec 31, 2003

They have my money too---I mean, I can actually envision seeing myself going a second time... but, the experience of watching that movie, it's like I have I have to "work" while watching the movie (as far as making it make sense and "enjoying it for what it is") when I feel it should just be more like a---I dunno---"a superhero movie", as many have defined them before. I'm okay with it being it's own thing---but not too much. I mean, if it's too tonally different, then why make a superhero movie at all?

This is very much a "Phantom Menacey" experience for me----and, I imagine, a lot of people.

That said: I have every confidence that, moving forward things will improve significantly in the DC film universe.

The tools are definitely all at their disposal to achieve whatever they want to achieve while still producing films that address some of the flaws that were noted in those significantly negative reviews from fans and critics alike.
                  "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• clemso
                    Talkative Member
                    • Aug 8, 2001

To be fair, I thought Iron Man 3 was a bit of a meh film, high expectations and all bells and whistles just like BvS's, but it still managed to take $1.2 billion at the worldwide box office. It depends what you measure success by.

Comment

• MIB41
                      Eloquent Member
                      • Sep 25, 2005

Originally posted by clemso
                      To be fair, I thought Iron Man 3 was a bit of a meh film, high expectations and all bells and whistles just like BvS's, but it still managed to take $1.2 billion at the worldwide box office. It depends what you measure success by.
                      Iron man 3 enjoyed the ground swell of love from the Avengers movie which serviced that bottom-line nicely. BVS does not benefit from that kind of familiarity with regards to a recent hit. It's also worth noting it didn't even match Zootopia's second Monday gross. That's a 79% drop from the previous Monday. Ultimately if you like the movie that's all that matters. But from a box office perspective, it's in free fall. It has no competition around it and still can't retain good holds...Thank God they released this movie simultaneously around the world, because there's no telling what the WW tally would have lost had the release dates been staggered.
                      Last edited by MIB41; Apr 5, '16, 8:54 AM.

Comment

• huedell
                        Museum Ball Eater
                        • Dec 31, 2003

I don't think box office has the last word here as far as what makes a movie a success.

As far as I'm concerned, I take fans, critics and my own opinion into consideration when discussing the overall success or quality of a movie. I feel that box office is almost a non-factor compared to those three----and, I feel Hollywood feels that way too (at least in franchise scenarios).

Batman and Robin = 100 million profit, Superman IV/Returns = doubled budget/almost 200 million profit.... and how about something like MoS, that made, like, 4 and a half million profit, yet had it's heavily criticized "Superman destroys Metropolis" story point totally dominating the plot of BvS anyway.

Iron Man 3? Even that may have affected things in some way if the public was more receptive with something other than their wallets (critics included). If Iron Man 3 would've received the critical acclaim of Winter Soldier, would deals have been renegotiated differently resulting in "Iron Man 4: Civil War" instead of what we have now? Possibly.
                        Last edited by huedell; Apr 5, '16, 8:51 AM.
                        "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• MIB41
                          Eloquent Member
                          • Sep 25, 2005

Originally posted by huedell
                          I don't think box office has the last word here as far as what makes a movie a success.

As far as I'm concerned, I take fans, critics and my own opinion into consideration when discussing the overall success or quality of a movie. I feel that box office is almost a non-factor compared to those three----and, I feel Hollywood feels that way too (at least in franchise scenarios).

Batman and Robin = 100 million profit, Superman IV/Returns = doubled budget/almost 200 million profit.... and how about something like MoS, that made, like, 4 and a half million profit, yet had it's heavily criticized "Superman destroys Metropolis" story point totally dominating the plot of BvS anyway.

Iron Man 3? Even that may have affected things in some way if the public was more receptive with something other than their wallets (critics included). If Iron Man 3 would've received the critical acclaim of Winter Soldier, would deals have been renegotiated differently resulting in "Iron Man 4: Civil War" instead of what we have now? Possibly.
                          Oh in terms of profitability WB will surely make out like bandits after they figure in merchandise, DVD sales and other promotions. I think that was factored in early before this project had one scene filmed. But if the movie continues to under-perform for it's own expectations, this can definitely impact future projects and those entities whom WB relies on to back and otherwise fund these projects. The same thing happened after "Batman Returns" back in in the early 90's. The film was not warmly welcomed and the studio changed directors and had to essentially go out on a campaign to find backing for it's next project "Batman Forever". So it's the future plans that take the biggest hits when these films do not go as planned.

Comment

• palitoy
                            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                            • Jun 16, 2001

The Onion Editorial Cartoon never fails to disappoint.

Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• emeraldknight47
                              Talkative Member
                              • Jun 20, 2011

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

LOL! Great cartoon! But come 5 May, I imagine all those characters will likely need to be reversed.
                              sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• huedell
                                Museum Ball Eater
                                • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by MIB41
                                Oh in terms of profitability WB will surely make out like bandits after they figure in merchandise, DVD sales and other promotions. I think that was factored in early before this project had one scene filmed. But if the movie continues to under-perform for it's own expectations, this can definitely impact future projects and those entities whom WB relies on to back and otherwise fund these projects. The same thing happened after "Batman Returns" back in in the early 90's. The film was not warmly welcomed and the studio changed directors and had to essentially go out on a campaign to find backing for it's next project "Batman Forever". So it's the future plans that take the biggest hits when these films do not go as planned.
                                If you got the implication that I thought this wouldn't turn a big profit, then I apologize for my lack of clarity.

I think they've already made a sizable profit.

My actual point was that that isn't the bottom line as far as moving forward unaffected by negative reception such as BvS has gotten (and is getting).

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎