Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

Geneviève Bujold as Capt Janeway

Old video and old subject but still gives me a laugh

m
  • Hector
    el Hombre de Acero
    • May 19, 2003

Bujold is a very good actress, but you could tell her heart wasn't set for this...no passion, no gusto, no command, kurt, little personality, she behaved more like a Vulcan than captain. Also, the lack of a finished product throws you off, no sound effects, no humming of the ship, no special effects, and so on...so those scenes look really plain.

Luckily, Bujold quit...and Nicole became Kathryn...and the rest is history.
    sigpic

Comment

• Mikey
      Verbose Member
      • Aug 9, 2001

I'm not a big fan of Voyager but I do like Kate Mulgrew's performance of Janeway a lot.

Never thought she was "hot" --- more of a big sis (which is actually not an easy task for a pretty lady to pull off)

Comment

• rykerw1701
        Persistent Member
        • Aug 27, 2007

I think a Star Trek starship captain has to have a certain bravado. Maybe not as much as the 60's Shatner version anymore, but still a boldness just south of bombastic. Bujold had none of that, Mulgrew had much more. I still never loved the show, but I watched most of the episodes.

Deep Space Nine suffered from the same problem Bujold had. A dull, understated portrayal of the captain by Avery Brooks. It was a mediocre show that could have been great with a more dynamic leader.

Comment

• Gorn Captain
          Invincible Ironing Man
          • Feb 28, 2008

Janeway was a big disappointment to me, as was that whole series. It was boring.
          Oh man, how I grew to be annoyed when she snapped "Mr Paris, bla bla bla...." with that terrible voice.
          The only concept that was interesting (was it The Maquis?), of a rogue Federation group, was quickly defused and they were lapdogs by episode four. Even the Klingon was tame!
          At least DS9 had interesting characters like Quark and Odo.
          If anyone is thinking of a Christmas gift for me, The Complete ST Voyager is not it...
          "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
            Moderation Engineer
            • Aug 14, 2003

I don't think I could have made it through more than one episode with Bujold's take, but honestly I find the whole series unwatchable now. I could take it in small doses when it aired originally.

Comment

• Mikey
              Verbose Member
              • Aug 9, 2001

I tried liking Voyager but it just never clicked with me.

I stopped watching around the time 7 of 9 came onboard.

I could easily see she was put there just to make the young geeks salivate - and it worked.

The only character I did like was the half Klingon girl ... She was kinda the opposite of Worf - which was interesting.

I did like DS-9 though --- Sisko is probably my favorite Captain after Kirk and Crunch

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                Invincible Ironing Man
                • Feb 28, 2008

Originally posted by EMCE Hammer
                I find the whole series unwatchable now. I could take it in small doses when it aired originally.
                Were you trying to build up immunity against it?
                "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                  HULK SMASH!
                  • Apr 3, 2010

I never really cared much for Voyager either, although I did watch it regularly whenever it was on.
                  I confess I only started to take more interest in it when Seven of Nine was added to the crew.
                  The later episodes tended to be more watchable.
                  The only other character I even remotely liked was B'Elanna Torres.
                  Totally hated Neelix and disliked pretty much all the others.

Well, you never know... Bujold may well have settled into the role and made it her own, had she stayed on.
                  PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Sideshow Spock
                    valar morghulis
                    • Mar 8, 2005

Originally posted by Mikey
                    I tried liking Voyager but it just never clicked with me.
                    I stopped watching around the time 7 of 9 came onboard.
                    I could easily see she was put there just to make the young geeks salivate - and it worked.
                    Just so you know, she made the old geeks salivate too. Beauty aside, Seven was a much better character than Kes, and I thought Ryan did an excellent job with all of Seven's internal conflicts. She and the Doctor are my two favorite VOY characters..

Comment

• Hector
                      el Hombre de Acero
                      • May 19, 2003

I watched every single Voyager episode. But it has not aged well. I recently tried to watch one, I just couldn't finish it.

BTW, Deep Space 9 was at the time, my favorite Trek show.

Today?

The original...I mean, it's strange...it's the oldest, yet seems the freshest out of all the Trek shows.

Am I crazy?
                      sigpic

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                        Muddling through
                        • Oct 4, 2008

Originally posted by Hector
                        I watched every single Voyager episode. But it has not aged well. I recently tried to watch one, I just couldn't finish it.

BTW, Deep Space 9 was at the time, my favorite Trek show.

Today?

The original...I mean, it's strange...it's the oldest, yet seems the freshest out of all the Trek shows.

Am I crazy?
                        actually I feel the same way hector. I loved TNG when it aired but I find it very dated to watch it now. I loved DS9 once they started the domion war story line, but can't sit through it now. Voyager I tried when it first aired, lost interest about 3/4 of the way through the first season, then came back around season 3 or 4 and enjoyed it for the rest of the run, but have no interest in watching now. Jerry ryan in the cat suit is worth watching though

I never really warmed up to Enterprise. I watched sporadically but just did not care for the characters or the premise. So like most things in life, Star Trek came full circle for me and all I care to watch as an adult is the original series. I do love the enhanced effects editions though

Comment

• Mikey
                          Verbose Member
                          • Aug 9, 2001

One of my favorite episodes of all time (which includes ALL post Classic Series shows) is the DS-9 episode where Sisko underhandedly get's the Romulans to side in with the Federation against the Dominion.

Comment

• Sideshow Spock
                            valar morghulis
                            • Mar 8, 2005

Originally posted by Mikey
                            One of my favorite episodes of all time (which includes ALL post Classic Series shows) is the DS-9 episode where Sisko underhandedly get's the Romulans to side in with the Federation against the Dominion.
                            Awesome episode. Garak rules!

Comment

• The Bat
                              Batman Fanatic
                              • Jul 14, 2002

I liked Voyager and thought Kathryn Janeway was an excellent Captain. Absolutely HATED Deep Space 9. But enough of the Next Gen crap...bring on the Prime Universe, picking up right after Star Trek 6(just as Nicholas Meyer hinted at).
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎