Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Classic Stretch Armstrong is getting a US release.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brown Bear
    Still Old School
    • Feb 14, 2008

Thanks for posting Tom. Looks super fun. I think I know what to buy my brothers for Christmas this year!
    Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• Iron Mego
      Wake Up Heavy
      • Jan 31, 2010

Awesome!!
      Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• Iron Mego
        Wake Up Heavy
        • Jan 31, 2010

Gah! I'm waiting for my Amazon one, but going to head to Target soon as well. Will probably have two by the end of the day!!
        Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• Jason73
          Correctamundo!
          • Jan 11, 2009

Gave my Stretch some proper shorts.
          Happy Days-Mego Style

Comment

• Werewolf
            Inhuman
            • Jul 14, 2003

Does it look like they had access to the original molds? The head, at least, looks spot on from the pictures I've seen. Never had one as a child though I did admire Stretch Monster many times in Christmas catalogs.
            You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Jason73
              Correctamundo!
              • Jan 11, 2009

I'm guessing the head was recast from an original Stretch head.
              Happy Days-Mego Style

Comment

• Iron Mego
                Wake Up Heavy
                • Jan 31, 2010

Kinda glad I went and got one from Target, the one from Amazon has a few issues. Will post pics in a bit, but will also be creating a separate thread to tell my long, boring Stretch story.

Also, I'm going to be needing some custom clothes for this dude. Shorts for sure, and a cape and mask (some Japanese versions came with an awesome wrestling mask).

And I think they definitely used the original head, either a 3D scan or recast. It's perfect!
                Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• Werewolf
                  Inhuman
                  • Jul 14, 2003

My parents were out shopping today and decided to stop by Target to see if they could get me one. They looked around for awhile and couldn't find it so they asked a fellow working in the toy department where they were. He said "They haven't made those for years. We don't carry anything like that. I'd know." Just after that my Dad spotted Stretch on the shelf behind the guy. My Dad was like "Isn't that it?" My parents said the guy got beet red after that. I over heard this all going on because my Mom was on the phone with me at the time.

Onto Stretch. I never had one as a child. So I don't have any memories of him other than from the TV commercials and Christmas catalogs. He is really heavy. Heavier than I expected. He is also surprisingly firm. I thought he would be softer and kind of floppy. Other than his painted on trucks he looks just like the pictures I've seen of the original toy.
                  Last edited by Werewolf; Aug 5, '16, 5:00 PM. Reason: typos
                  You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Jason73
                    Correctamundo!
                    • Jan 11, 2009

I received the original Stretch Armstrong for Christmas 1980 and I think that was the last year he was available. I loved it, but unfortunately it began to leak and my dad threw it away before my Christmas break ended. I never even had a chance to bring it to school. Since then I have longed for another Stretch Armstrong. I passed on the 90's Capcom version because it just didn't do it for me, but this new release from Hasbro does. I'm so glad they put in the effort to get the head sculpt right. I don't mind the painted shorts too much because I just happened to have a pair of repro Stretch shors from a project that I never finished.

Glad Stretch is back.
                    Happy Days-Mego Style

Comment

• PNGwynne
                      Master of Fowl Play
                      • Jun 5, 2008

We used to heat them in the bath or on the radiator and then overstretched them. Disaster followed. I had Stretch, Monster, & X-Ray (plus my sister's Octo) and we killed them all. I should have at least saved the heads...
                      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• MIB41
                        Eloquent Member
                        • Sep 25, 2005

Originally posted by Werewolf
                        Does it look like they had access to the original molds? The head, at least, looks spot on from the pictures I've seen. Never had one as a child though I did admire Stretch Monster many times in Christmas catalogs.
                        I had the original and these look like perfect castings of that head sculpt. It's excellent. Lil D loved mine so much he begged and begged us to get him one so we went out got another one jsut for him. We now have 2 Stretch Armstrongs in one day. It's been a blast.

Comment

• TrekStar
                          Trek or Treat
                          • Jan 20, 2011

Your dog looks thrilled, "now that they have dumb old Stretch Armstrong know one wants to play with me"

Comment

• MIB41
                            Eloquent Member
                            • Sep 25, 2005

^^^ LOL! Right!

Comment

• pmwasson
                              Maker
                              • Sep 12, 2007

I picked one up at Target today. They didn't have any on the shelf but they pulled one out of the back for me.
                              sigpic LaserMego

Comment

• Iron Mego
                                Wake Up Heavy
                                • Jan 31, 2010

Here are mine. The one from Amazon (on the left) is a tad overfilled, has a little crimp up by the neck and had some syrup around the neck hole and on the back of his head. I think it was probably just from production, and not an actual leak, but I will keep my eyes on it. It came off really easy with just a little water.
                                The one I got from Target (on the right) is just about perfect. Had a few smudges on his face that cleaned off and a teeny tiny bit of paint rub, most likely from bumping into another Stretch's eyebrow. I will probably get at least one more to not open and store away.

Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎