X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Spawn67
    Career Member
    • Aug 14, 2009

Outland (1981)

I watched Outland for the first time in quite some time. Movie in a way reminds me of Alien without any Aliens. Love the bleak atmosphere to. What do you guys think about it? Anyone see it when it was released?
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

First time I seen it was on cable in the mid 80's

Liked it then but got a little bored with it at more recent watches.

Comment

• megoapesnut
      The name says it all!
      • Dec 3, 2007

I have it on Blu-ray. One of my favorite flicks. I watch it every few years.

Comment

• emeraldknight47
        Talkative Member
        • Jun 20, 2011

Great movie! Very well made with lots of action and suspense and Sean Connery in one of his best roles.
        sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• The Bat
          Batman Fanatic
          • Jul 14, 2002

Loved that movie...thanks for reminding me I need to buy the Bluray.
          sigpic

Comment

• hedrap
            Permanent Member
            • Feb 10, 2009

Originally posted by Spawn67
            I watched Outland for the first time in quite some time. Movie in a way reminds me of Alien without any Aliens. Love the bleak atmosphere to. What do you guys think about it? Anyone see it when it was released?
            Love that movie. Spent a good deal of time researching it nearly...wow...fifteen years ago! Hyams was a true master craftsmen who never gets his due.

It feels like Alien because it was a lot of the same VFX and props teams, minus the big names like Giger and Moebius. The set designers, studios, miniatures, etc...were Alien UK holdovers in Pinewood, alot from the Bond films. I found one of the leads then and he said they felt as if this was Weyland-Yutani at work and Nostromo was occurring in the background of space. It's the difference between how since they were designing the physical, they saw the mining aspect as central to Weyland, (as it is in Outland), whereas Ridley saw the bioengineering/AI as Weyland's focus, which he played out in Blade Runner.

You also have Goldsmith composing both scores, so the overall tone is near identical.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
              HULK SMASH!
              • Apr 3, 2010

I've always really liked Outland, and I revisit it fairly frequently. Great production design, FX, costumes, sets, props, matte work, miniatures and score.
              Definitely an often overlooked gem of sci-fi cinema.
              PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Red Hulk
                Career Member
                • Dec 19, 2012

Great movie.I never saw it in the theaters but remember seeing the trailer.I have a VHS copy.

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                  Invincible Ironing Man
                  • Feb 28, 2008

Been a fan since its first release. It's nice and grim, definitely following in Alien's footsteps. Wouldn't it have been fun to see some of the Alien characters in the background, like Parker and Brett, in transit to the Nostromo?
                  Also has a great Goldsmith score, which is another link.
                  "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎