X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MysteryWho
    Persistent Member
    • Dec 16, 2008

Dremel Quest

Anybody have suggestions for a dremel purchase. Does it need to have different speeds, etc.?
    I'm hoping to use it to cut plastic, grind it down in places, and smooth areas where stuff has been removed.
    Do I need the glaive from Krull, or can I just buy an inexpensive model?
  • dr_cyclops
    One eyed, wonder
    • Dec 17, 2009

Years ago I purchased a "Dremel". I knew just buying a Dremel would be a mistake, since I had no bit-tools to use with it. So I purchase one with a selection of bit-tools and a case to hold everything. First thing I discovered was that I could only use it on the lowest speed setting due to the friction produced. Dremels are really good if you want a tool to use on harder material and stone. Since then, I've used other rotary tools and found them to be closer to what I need for working softer materials. If you are looking to use this tool on plastics, just buy a cheap one.

Comment

• thunderbolt
      Hi Ernie!!!
      • Feb 15, 2004

I've got a Black and Decker knockoff and it works fine for what we are doing.
      You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• comicmike
        Persistent Member
        • Sep 22, 2009

I *love* my Dremel. Best purchase I ever made.

Comment

• boss
          Talkative Member
          • Jun 18, 2003

I've owned a couple of Dremels. They both worked great. The basic one does as good of a job as the fancier one I have. Getting the right bits and controlling the speed makes all the difference.
          Fresh, not from concentrate.

Comment

• PNGwynne
            Master of Fowl Play
            • Jun 5, 2008

^This. I like mine, too. Cyclops makes good points about materials--you want to be sanding/grinding or buffing, not melting.
            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• dr_cyclops
              One eyed, wonder
              • Dec 17, 2009

My wife has a manicure rotary tool. It has one speed, low. I've used it many times.
              Harbor Freight has cheap rotary tools with a gazillion bit-tools in a big plastic case. So don't worry about going cheap.
              I do recommend buying a face shield, or at the very least, safty-glasses, if you don't mind cleaning debris off your face.
              Once you get your rotary-tool, do not go right into any project. Instead, find scrap material of which you will be working in and practice on it first. This will give you a much better idea on how to approach your project.
              If you have long hair, tie it back! Trust me.
              Last edited by dr_cyclops; Mar 11, '16, 10:56 PM.

Comment

• stuart
                Hi-Yo Silver Away!
                • Jun 18, 2007

Isn't there a variable speed power accessory? Sometimes low speed isn't low enough.

Comment

• dr_cyclops
                  One eyed, wonder
                  • Dec 17, 2009

If there is a "variable speed power accessory", Dremel could use it. Dremel and knock-off's low speed is sometimes dangerously too high. Thank you stuart! I luv where this thread is going!

Comment

• comicmike
                    Persistent Member
                    • Sep 22, 2009

All agreed, dr_cyclops Health & Safety *first*, all the way. I always wear safety glasses, plug my dremel into a power strip with quick access to the strip's off-button. I have had better control and rsults with the Flex Shaft attachment. 'Less is more' with the Dremel; 'measure twice, cut once', because once I have gone too fast, I can ruin a good plan. My friend once got quite the hand damage from not paying attention with the Dremel; yikes! I often ensure I am alone with room door locked when I use it, so I can keep proper attention.

Comment

• megozilla13
                      Persistent Member
                      • May 10, 2002

The best control is achieved with a flex shaft and foot pedal. It pricier but the difference is night and day.

mikej
                      WANTED: Removable Mask ROBIN on Kresge style card

Comment

• Confessional
                        Maker & Whatnot
                        • Aug 8, 2012

^^ So true… a Foredom Flex Shaft can cut anything from foam to stone and will last a lifetime. Some of them also have incredibly accurate/sensitive on unit speed control.

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎