X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

Dr. Terror's House of Horrors and Asylum

I finally got around to seeing Dr. Terror's House of Horrors a few weeks back, and have been meaning to post about it. The only Amicus anthology I'd seen before was The House That Dripped Blood. This is a bit earlier, but has some great roles for Hammer Legends Lee and Cushing, and we even get a nice appearance by another Hammer vet, future-Alfred Michael Gough! Plus, a very young Donald Sutherland, even before The Dirty Dozen!

Some nice vignettes in this one, and a great wrap around segment with a great payoff at the end. I've seen these stories strip-mined and/or adapted into other TV series and movies as well.

This was streaming free on Amazon Prime, but the print is pretty poor. Still watchable, but definitely NOT remastered by any means!

After finding this, I also found Amicus' later anthology, Asylum. We get to see Cushing again, but I didn't care for this one as much. Still, it's a good watch, and I recognized the story "The Weird Tailor" as being adapted for Thriller as well. Like The House That Dripped Blood, the stories are all written by Robert Block of Psycho fame. I think the best segment was the first with dismembered body parts. That was effectively creepy! The wraparound segment didn't do as much for me here.

I wish Amicus' EC adaptations, Tales from the Crypt and Vault of Horror were streaming free, but I may have to bite the bullet and pay for once to see these.

Chris
    sigpic
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

Was never a huge fan of Dr Terror -- thought most of the stories were pretty weak.

IMO Tales From the Crypt was the best Amicus horror anthology -- Wish You Were Here used to give me nightmares and Blind Alley's is just so dang fun.

Comment

• daz71
      Persistent Member
      • Jul 19, 2014

my favourite of them was from beyond the grave ,i like the wraparound on dr.terrors the best though.

Comment

Working...
      😀
      🥰
      🤢
      😎
      😡
      👍
      👎