X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Pod Stallions 42: Don't Panic!

It's episode 42, we're both entirely too nerdy not to do an episode devoted to Douglas Adam's seminal "Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy" series.

Jason and Brian talk up the books, radio dramas, the BBC TV series and of course, the big budget movie from 2005.

Along the way we veer off into Doctor Who, Time Bandits and ...Threads. So, grab your towel and join us!

Hit us up on our facebook page with your feedback.

For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • rche
    channeling Bob Wills
    • Mar 26, 2008

ROM does sort of resemble what I thought Marvin looked like when I first heard the radio show.

Comment

• rche
      channeling Bob Wills
      • Mar 26, 2008

Tho Stretch Monster does not resemble Ford; except maybe that he doesn't ever blink.

Comment

• Falstaff13
        Persistent Member
        • May 28, 2008

Definitely another good podcast!

I first came to the BBC series and the first two books the same summer in the mid-1980s. I was already a fan of Doctor Who when my PBS affiliate showed the series (running it just after the DW edited movies on Saturday afternoons). My dad owned the first two books, and I decided to read it to stay just ahead of the TV show as I worked through the novels. I later added the other books, saw the film, and have heard at least parts of the radio series, but somehow that summer made the TV show "it" for me. It's actually fascinating to consider that Adams' continual work on the franchise sort of throws out the idea of knowing the "real" version of something, since he kept retooling it himself. (And I did have Neil Gaiman's book before I knew him as a fiction writer as well.)

Your comments about knowing something really well and the fine line between a tribute and a rehash when watching some new version makes me think of the approach in many community theatres (and I'm not criticizing, as I participate in community theatre), where you have a debate between basically imitating a famous version of a title and putting your own spin on something.

Finally, going along with the idea of worlds intersecting, besides the fact I remember being surprised in college when I saw the BBC Shakespeare version of The Tempest (which his Andrew Sachs, Manuel from Fawlty Towers in it) and realizing that Ariel was David Dixon, I can remember my father pointing out to me when we first ever saw the Jon Pertwee DW serial "The Time Monster" that the minotaur was Dave Prowse.
        Hugh H. Davis

Wanted: Legends of the West (Empire & Excel) and other western historically-based figures. Send me an offer.
        Also interested in figures based on literary characters.

Comment

• palitoy
          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
          • Jun 16, 2001

Glad you dug it! I must admit the TV show is MUCH better than i recalled.
          Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
          http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• nvmbrsdoom5
            Persistent Member
            • Mar 1, 2005

Really enjoyed the episode, I admit though to knowing next to nothing about any of Douglas Adams' works. However as a side note, I had no clue about the new radio show episodes of Doctor Who with Tennant and Tate until you mentioned it. I just about leapt out of bed when I heard that part, so thanks for the heads up haha! But yeah this episode has definitely got me interested in finally checking out this series.

Comment

• Falstaff13
              Persistent Member
              • May 28, 2008

Oh and one other thing--I either hadn't realized or had heard but not remembered that the third book was an adaptation of Douglas Adams' attempt at a DW film (I'm assuming this is what I've always heard of as "The Krikkitmen," or did he have another?). That does explain some of the elements there. This isn't unique to it, of course--I didn't hear you say it, but parts of the first Dirk Gently book are reworkings of "Shada," which at the time was the unfinished Tom Baker serial, though it's been released in a few forms now.
              Hugh H. Davis

Wanted: Legends of the West (Empire & Excel) and other western historically-based figures. Send me an offer.
              Also interested in figures based on literary characters.

Comment

• Wee67
                Museum Correspondent
                • Apr 2, 2002

Listening made want to go back and re-watch the movie. As much as i loved the books and the TV show, I was thoroughly bored by the movie. Maybe it was because I had heard all the jokes before, but I was REALLY bored.
                WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎